1939 6C Compressore - ex Mussolini - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 10-05-2007, 12:36 AM

1939 6C Compressore - ex Mussolini

http://www.twthieme.nl/Alfa-Romeo-Cars-03.html

Photo in this link: Is this car a 2300B or 2500?
Does anyone have information, drawings or photos of the supercharger set up on this car? Power output?
Were there any other works supercharged 6C 2300/2500's?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2007, 05:55 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Wasn't there an ex-Mussolini Alfa in the Harrah Collection many years ago? I remember seeing one of Hitler's armoured Mercedes there in about 1987, for sure ...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-05-2007, 09:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ccorsa View Post
http://www.twthieme.nl/Alfa-Romeo-Cars-03.html

Photo in this link: Is this car a 2300B or 2500?
Does anyone have information, drawings or photos of the supercharger set up on this car? Power output?
Were there any other works supercharged 6C 2300/2500's?

As far as I am aware, there were no 6c2300, 2300B, or 2500s that came from the factory with a supercharger. There was an article on a 6c2500 PF short chassis conv't that an American had added as supercharger too in a 1950s Road and Track magazine.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Wasn't there an ex-Mussolini Alfa in the Harrah Collection many years ago? I remember seeing one of Hitler's armoured Mercedes there in about 1987, for sure ...
If I remember correctly, the Imperial Palace use to display an Alfa that belonged to one of Mussolini's mistresses. I have photos somewhere, but they are really buried and I'm sure it wasnt the 39 compressore.
http://www.imperialpalace.com/autos.php#

Last edited by RC Hiatt; 10-05-2007 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Platinum Subscriber

That's the one! Apologies if it's not the same place ... I was only 14 years old at the time

What sticks in my mind was walking back to the hotel in Vegas at midnight and seeing the temperature at 95 degrees, and it was comfortable. Oh, and the lights, the cute girls in The Sands ......

Last edited by Alex; 10-05-2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:25 PM

Isn't there some mistake regarding 6C versus 8c
The first pictures on the site is 8C, and that was with supercharger.
The 6c was not in supercharger version official.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:08 PM
Banned

As far as I am aware, there was NO 6c2300, 2300B, or 2500 that came from the factory with a supercharger!!

I am aware of at least one 6c2500 that was in southern California in the 1960s that had a supercharger added in the early 1950s, when the car first came to the US.

Last edited by dretceterini; 10-05-2007 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:23 AM

OK. So the general consensus is that the was no works produced blown 6C 2300/2500.
Is the black car in the link mis-described?
Where is it?
Is it blown now?
What is it's history?

Another blown 6C 2300B is the one Murray Rainey built for his daughter's special. It has twin (single stage) blowers and is also dry sumped.
I'm also fitting a gear driven blower to my pre-war 6C2500 speciale using finned manifolds cast by Rainey.

Last edited by 6ccorsa; 10-06-2007 at 02:32 AM.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000 touring sp View Post
Isn't there some mistake regarding 6C versus 8c
The first pictures on the site is 8C, and that was with supercharger.
The 6c was not in supercharger version official.
Tha car in question is in 7th row of photos up from the bottom of the page. It's in the 6C section.
I'm pretty sure I haven't seen a picture of any car like that in Simon Moore's comprehensive 8C books
Old 10-06-2007, 08:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ccorsa View Post
OK. So the general consensus is that the was no works produced blown 6C 2300/2500.
Is the black car in the link mis-described?
Where is it?
Is it blown now?
What is it's history?

Another blown 6C 2300B is the one Murray Rainey built for his daughter's special. It has twin (single stage) blowers and is also dry sumped.
I'm also fitting a gear driven blower to my pre-war 6C2500 speciale using finned manifolds cast by Rainey.

Mussolini also had a Lancia and a FIAT linked to his name, plus other cars linked to members of his staff or mistresses. The most famous Mussolini Alfa is this 6c2300 Pescara, which was NOT supercharged, and actaully ran in the Mille Miglia.

http://www.coffeedrome.com/images/bobpebble/muss2.jpg

I think the picture in post #1 is mis-labeled. Both the Mussolini Fiat and Lancia were sold at auction about 5 years ago, but I have no idea where either is today.

Last edited by dretceterini; 10-06-2007 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:38 AM

Ha!

My memory is still serving me well.... I knew I'd seen this car before!

Collection Mario Righini (the owner of AAC 815):

http://www.righinimario.it/seconda_museo.htm

second row, third picture.

Cheers,
Peter
Old 10-09-2007, 12:59 PM

Thanks
I'll contact Signor Righini and see what he can tell us.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:04 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Hiatt View Post
If I remember correctly, the Imperial Palace use to display an Alfa that belonged to one of Mussolini's mistresses. I have photos somewhere, but they are really buried and I'm sure it wasnt the 39 compressore.
http://www.imperialpalace.com/autos.php#
I photographed this ex-Mussolini mistress' 6C2500 in 1975 when it was in the possession of Ron Keno of Mohawk, NY. Has it turned up anywhere in the past 30+ years?
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2007, 09:42 AM
Banned

Great photos. I have no idea where the car is now. It must be a VERY early 2500. You didn't happen to get the S/N did you??

The rear view looks VERY much like a Touring bodied 6c2300B MM coupe.

I can't tell if there were ever running boards or not. If you look at the back end of the front fenders, it looks like there might have been, but if you look at the front end of the rear fenders, it looks like there never were any!

Anyway, the fenders are rather odd, and look more like PF or Stab.Farina than Touring to me.

I don't see anything that tends to make me believe it was supercharged at one time...

Last edited by dretceterini; 10-15-2007 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretceterini View Post
Great photos. I have no idea where the car is now. It must be a VERY early 2500. You didn't happen to get the S/N did you??

The rear view looks VERY much like a Touring bodied 6c2300B MM coupe.

I can't tell if there were ever running boards or not. If you look at the back end of the front fenders, it looks like there might have been, but if you look at the front end of the rear fenders, it looks like there never were any!

Anyway, the fenders are rather odd, and look more like PF or Stab.Farina than Touring to me.

I don't see anything that tends to make me believe it was supercharged at one time...
The alleged supercharged car that is shown in the link at the beginning of this thread has a completely different body.

I'm also curious what you might expect to see from the outside that would indicate a blown car.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.