Horst Kwech Bio on Wikipedia - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 11-10-2009, 09:37 PM

Horst Kwech Bio on Wikipedia

I always thought that Horst Kwech deserved a biography on Wikipedia documenting all of his accomplishments. Here is a start toward a bio that still needs editing including more detail on his races in Australia. He raced for Shelby in 1969 as well as 1968 and his Center Seat Can-Am history is missing but as I said its a start.

Horst Kwech - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2009, 05:27 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Bob,

A nice tribute. I had some work done by Horst on a Giulia Spider autocross car, and got to know him sufficiently to have short conversations at race tracks. My best memory is a Mid-Ohio Trans-Am where he was easily leading the Brock Datsun 510's and would have won had he not pressed on and broke something. His response to my query about slowing down for an easy finish was something like "Well mate, you need to show everyone how fast you are"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAmBob View Post
I always thought that Horst Kwech deserved a biography on Wikipedia documenting all of his accomplishments. Here is a start toward a bio that still needs editing including more detail on his races in Australia. He raced for Shelby in 1969 as well as 1968 and his Center Seat Can-Am history is missing but as I said its a start.

Horst Kwech - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-11-2009, 11:27 AM

Horst Kwech RM Spyder Bathhurst 1960

Here is a photo of Horst Kwech in his RM Spyder. The RM Spyder used a Buchanan Motor Company body. Buchanan must have been the Devin of Australia.

Buchanan Photo History

Horst Kwech RM Spyder Bathurst Easter 1960
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2009, 07:18 PM

Kwech thread on Autosport Nostalgia Forum

There is a Horst Kwech thread on the Nostalgia forum of Autosport. RJ McConnell just posted some period photos as well as some Capri photos by Mark Windecker
Here is a great photo of the Ti Super of Kwech in 1965 by McConnell

Horst Kwech - The AUTOSPORT Bulletin Board
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2009, 09:25 PM

The Wikipedia article is indeed a great start, Bob. Thanks for writing it up and being persistent enough to get it accepted.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:27 AM

Quoted from your excellent wikipedia article:
"Horst used the same GTA to qualify for the 1966 SCCA ARRC runoffs at Riverside. He went on to win the first ARRC B-Sedan National Championship in a famous race with 25 lead changes, against the Lotus Cortina of Allan Moffat, and was presented with the SCCA President's Cup for his outstanding drive."

That race is responsible for me being an Alfista. Before that I was a Brit car guy. I had just missed qualifying for the runoffs in an HP Sprite but I went to Riverside just to watch. To this day that remains the best race I've ever seen. Three years later, living in Germany and in need of a car, I bought a GTV with the memory of the Kwetch GTA in mind. Since then I have never been without an Alfa in the garage.

I met him once, at Mid Ohio at an SCCA National. We were paddocked next to each other. He had an Alfa powered formula car at that race and as I recall they were trying to develop it into a good race car, without much success. He gave me a lesson that day on reading spark plugs, the concept of which I understood but the art of which I had not yet mastered. Nice guy.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:17 PM

1966 ARRC B-sedan race

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brase View Post
Quoted from your excellent wikipedia article:
"Horst used the same GTA to qualify for the 1966 SCCA ARRC runoffs at Riverside. He went on to win the first ARRC B-Sedan National Championship in a famous race with 25 lead changes, against the Lotus Cortina of Allan Moffat, and was presented with the SCCA President's Cup for his outstanding drive."

That race is responsible for me being an Alfista. Before that I was a Brit car guy. I had just missed qualifying for the runoffs in an HP Sprite but I went to Riverside just to watch. To this day that remains the best race I've ever seen. Three years later, living in Germany and in need of a car, I bought a GTV with the memory of the Kwetch GTA in mind. Since then I have never been without an Alfa in the garage.

I met him once, at Mid Ohio at an SCCA National. We were paddocked next to each other. He had an Alfa powered formula car at that race and as I recall they were trying to develop it into a good race car, without much success. He gave me a lesson that day on reading spark plugs, the concept of which I understood but the art of which I had not yet mastered. Nice guy.
John even Pete Brock said that first B-sedan ARRC race was one of the best races he ever watched. Kwech and Moffat changed the lead almost every lap. A great photo from the race made the cover of Autoweek December 17, 1966.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2010, 05:34 PM

The newly arrived Feb 2010 Hemmings Sport and Exotic magazine has an article about the 1971 Under 2.5 Trans Am with some shots of the orange"Weston's" cars #3 of Kwech, and the #4 of Harry T (Theodoracopoulos) Good story but rather short.
Joe Faherty NWARC AROC BOD
Old 01-14-2010, 08:03 AM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-30-2011, 02:04 AM

More Kwech history from down under

The slot car people do a lot of research. Here is a link to an excellent write up and more detailed Kwech race history and photos.

Horst Kwech - Auslot Forums
Old 05-03-2011, 01:33 AM
Gold Subscriber

Go for a ride in his GTA!

Old 05-03-2011, 07:37 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTree View Post
Thanks for posting. It sounds so, so good...
1955 1900CSS (R.I.P.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.