Vancouver Members! - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 02:08 PM

New shop in town: Bent Wrenches

I just wanted to update this thread based on a recent experience. I had taken my Alfa in to Bent Wrenches run by Bernie Hamm. I was keen to avoid the requisite cold sweats and stomach knots involved in dealing with some of the other local shops in town.

He is very passionate about Italian sports cars and has plenty of experience working on, and racing them. He's located out in Mission at 7076 Mershon Street and his number is (604) 287-3332.

My Alfa is running beautifully, the cost of repairs was reasonable and it is an absolute pleasure to deal with Bernie. In my opinion Bent Wrenches is the "go to" shop in BC.

1984 Alfa Spider Veloce - "Zingara"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 03:34 PM

Great news! Especially as I live in Mission! Sadly, my Alfa is garaged at the moment, but I'm planning to rebuild my engine with a 150HP SPICA, oversized throttle bodies etc. and might benefit from a little local assistance. Do you know if Bernie does headwork?

Ian Mac
'73 Spider - Rebuilding Engine
post #33 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 03:45 PM

Hi ianmac, I can't say for certain, however he is very competent so I would give him a call. He's an awesome guy!

1984 Alfa Spider Veloce - "Zingara"

post #34 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 03:11 AM
Gold Subscriber

you guys can take your car to wes in burlington...about an hours drive south from vancouver
post #35 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 10:47 AM

Hi everyone, new to the Alfa game (86 Graduate) and just finished reading this thread - great info, thank you! I'm in Surrey close to the border so looks like I have a few options when I need work done. Should also mention that I purchased the 89 Veloce out of North Van a few weeks ago for parts and have the shell / drivetrain available to anyone that needs it for cheap. Also have lots of the parts if you need anything specific, again cheap!

DD 86 Grad
post #36 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 10:52 AM

Here's a picture of the parts car - just put it on Craigslist for $200 (I'm keeping the wheels) Still have doors (great shape) and would include them for another $50
Attached Images

DD 86 Grad
post #37 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 03:49 PM

Alfa Romeo Ignition Sensor Problem

Hi, I'm new to the Alfa Romeo scene here in Vancouver. I've just imported a 1998 Alfa Romeo Spider Twin Spark. The battery was completely discharged upon receipt of the car. Now, after charging it, I still can't get the car to start. On reading the owner's manual, it appears that the ignition sensor is not reading or accepting the chip in the master key and is therefore preventing the ignition process.
Does anyone have any suggestions. According to the owner's manual, I have to take it to the Alfa Romeo dealer and they will re code the key and ignition sensor. I do have the original card with the computer codes.
post #38 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 05:05 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyjet View Post
Hi, I'm new to the Alfa Romeo scene here in Vancouver. I've just imported a 1998 Alfa Romeo Spider Twin Spark. The battery was completely discharged upon receipt of the car. Now, after charging it, I still can't get the car to start. On reading the owner's manual, it appears that the ignition sensor is not reading or accepting the chip in the master key and is therefore preventing the ignition process.
Does anyone have any suggestions. According to the owner's manual, I have to take it to the Alfa Romeo dealer and they will re code the key and ignition sensor. I do have the original card with the computer codes.
You may need something like this.

-Ruedi
'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, now a restomod in Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).
post #39 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 06:26 PM

Hi Ruedi, Many thanks!! It looks like I might need to take a course in software programming to be able to use it though Have you used it?
John
post #40 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 12:39 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Maybe the solution is even easier (from this web page):
Quote:
The most common problem we get with this system happens when people connect up jump batteries with the keys in the ignition and this spikes the code key box and it will not accept any key. To cure the problem you have to remove the key from the ignition and disconnect the battery for over 1/2 an hour to get the system to reset then connect the battery and the jump leads again with the key out of the ignition then put the keys in the ignition and it will start.

-Ruedi
'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, now a restomod in Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).
post #41 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 05:37 PM

A big sigh of relief! I think it might just be a battery problem. I charged the battery overnight and got a couple of turnovers of the engine before the battery gave up the ghost again. Crossing my fingers that if I get a new battery then the problem will be resolved.
post #42 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 02:58 PM

Hi Everyone,

Been on the Alfa Board for awhile. I am a licenced mechanic that has specialized in european cars all my life ( doing this for over 40 years ) Got fed up working for other shops, decided to go out on my own and am working out of my garage at home. I have built race cars, done restoration on many cars and ( by now ) pretty well set up to do pretty much anything. I am restoring my own 69 Spider. I have come to the conclusion that I would like to deo larger jobs, not the quickie oil changes. From engine rebuilds, brake work, suspension to electrical work to full restos. My rate is going to be $60.00/ hour, I can do this because I have pretty low overhed. I don't want to go crazy with 2-3 cars a day, I need time to also complete my own 5 cars ( 69 Alfa Spider, 81 Fiat 124 Spider, 69 911T, 71 911 targa and a 3.0CS BMW coupe ) Iam a master BMW & Porsche mechanic. I have around Alfa's for a lot of years so I have maybe just a little knowledge about these cars.

I can be reached at alfaspider1969@gmail.com or 778-989-3403 after 6:00 PM

Hope to hear from some of you.

Thanks, Rick Stephenson
post #43 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 04:49 PM

Hi Rick, good luck on your new venture I hope it works well for you. I have a 1998 Spider that I recently bought. I am thinking about getting a tuned exhaust made up. Can you do that? I didn't see your address or shop address-where are you located?
John
post #44 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 07:14 PM

Vancouver Alfa Mechanic

Hi,

No problem, I am in Coquitlam about 5 minutes in on Brunette N. Give me a call in the New Year and we can discuss it. I am busy until then with holiday stuff and my kids

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Thanks, Rick
post #45 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 08:48 AM

Garage
Hi Rick,
I just got my 1997 Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 24V (LHD) from Japan and it needs some work. Is this something you would be willing to work on?
Murat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode