Alfa Romeo Forums banner

87’ Milano Platinum - Dallas, TX

For Sale 
3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Giann75 
#1 ·
Selling my 87’ Milano Platinum with 86K miles which I acquired in Oct. 15' from Oklahoma with 86K miles with minimal rust in the wheel arches. Service records from the 2 owners from 91’ – 98’, around 30K – 68K miles. This was meant to be a replacement for my 85' GTV6 which was sold due terminal rust few years back. VIN:ZARDA136XH1025570. AutoCheck history shows 3 owners prior to me, it starts in Oklahoma at 1995 (25,075 mi) with a new title issued in Aug. 15’.

Milano was not running when I bought it, but I have managed to get it running consistently now with cleaning many of the electrical contacts and replacing the dual relay for the fuel pump. Now the car starts and runs great. Per the previous owner old fuel was drained, new fuel pump and filter installed. I have done an oil change, added couple fuel injector cleaners, flushed the coolant several times and bleed the brakes at 4 wheels.

I have driven it on the weekends in my neighborhood and only managed to put about 150 miles in a year. Driven it up to 70 mph with no issues on the highway service roads couple of times. Time constraints from family & work forces the sale at this point.

Here’s present condition of the car:
• Timing belt is in good condition, shows very little wear, don’t know when it was changed.
• Gearbox shifts through all the gears and haven’t noticed the 2nd gear crunch.
• Clutch is in good shape.
• ABS was working and pressurizing before the startup, also the pump activated when bleeding the rear brakes couple of months ago. Now it is acting up, the car stops well with more effort now.
• Brake pads still has plenty life.
• Parking brake works as it should.
• AC system is present, but there is no belt so I don’t know if it works.
• Driver’s window works, others do not.
• Driver’s seat back motor works and moves, passenger seat back does not. Interior is leather is dry.
• Sunroof will not close completely if opened, it is now manually closed and power to the motor disconnected.
• Windshield has a rock chip repair in the middle, does not affect the drivers vision
• Clear coat has peeled away from most of the body.
• No signs of prior collision damage or rust other than the minor rust in the rear wheel arches.

My list to be done to make it a weekend driver:
• Replace missing front parking lens on the passenger side.
• Replace water pump as it currently weeps (have a new one).
• Change the power steering and trans-axle fluids.
• Convert brakes to non-ABS.
• Tires hold pressure, needs to be replaced due to age.
• Replace exhaust which has been patched and mid-section needs to be replaced at a minimum.
• Repair passenger windows.
• Repair passenger seat back.
• Replace voltage regulator in ARC.

This is a project car with lots of potential. I would like it to see it go to someone who can spend the time to bring it back to full working order. Link to photos and videos. goo.gl/photos/X4kHbqfFUe9LutSr5

Car comes with Oklahoma title. It has been insured all the time I have owned, but I chose not the register it my name until I fixed it some more.

I would appreciate your review of the listing and provide feedback about what would be fair price for this car. Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
Sunroof issue - sure it's not the (windblocker?) flap that pops up in the front of the sunroof not returning down to it's position? You can bend it back into shape or use your fingers to push down on it for the last inch or so of travel if so

#6 ·
Looking at the photos and reading your description, I'd say value is about $1000 but it's going to take the right person for a project like this. The rust will make the car a non-starter for some people right off the bat. When a solid running/driving car is $3k-$5k, it's tough to make the financials work on something that requires this much attention. You'll definitely want to do timing belt and tensioner when the belts are off for the water pump change -- this one's way overdue on a time basis, sounds like.

Since you asked, that's my two cents.

#7 ·
I'm going to agree with RoryJ at the $1,000 level. Seems harsh but that's the way the market is. Do a craigslist search in California and you'll see a lot of nice Milanos without any rust out there in the $3k-$5K range.

If the car needs a ABS conversion that's a lot of work, you have to pull the dash change out the pedal box, make some brake lines, and so on.

Bye

#9 ·
You may be better off just keeping the car, given probable value and the effort it would take to sell. Maybe you'll find yourself with more time to enjoy it in the future.

Sounds like with a timing belt/tensioner/water pump and some brake work, you'll have the basis for a good, usable car. Then you can get to the smaller stuff as needed. I personally wouldn't even start the car again until you replace the timing belt and tensioner, sounds like you're on borrowed time and if the belt breaks, you'll probably be left with a parts car given the engine damage that is likely to result.

The plastic Verde fender flares may be a good solution to cover up the areas where you'll have to cut out rust. They're inexpensive and pretty easy to find.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.