Non-U.S. Models for sale in Texas - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 01-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Non-U.S. Models for sale in Texas

Anyone ever heard about this guy? He's selling a bunch of European imported cars out of Plano, TX. Currently listing an '84 Alfetta Sedan Q4 and a 33. Curious if they're legit, or destined to be crushed upon attempting to register.

CL ad: 1984 ALFA ROMEO ALFETTA Q4

Their website: www.dutchclassiccarimport.com

No interest, other than morbid curiosity.

'69 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1,3 S/'92 Ducati 900SS
gone but not forgotten
'79 Alfetta Sprint Veloce/'77 Alfetta Sedan /'76 Alfetta Sedan/'75 Alfetta Sedan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Platinum Subscriber

I contacted him earlier this week....he claims they're all legally imported and come with TX plates, but are not suitable for export to California (that part makes sense). Not sure how he does it, he chose not to tell me

Currently no Alfas in the stable

Previously:
'76 Alfasud Ti/'75 GT Junior/'87 Alfa 33
'91 Alfa 75/'95 Alfa 164/'79 Alfa Spider '69 Euro 1750 GTV, '67 Duetto, '84 Spider Veloce
'91 164L
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I know nothing can be imported into CA post '76 model year if it wasn't for sale here originally, but I can (and do) fantasize that I live in some alternate universe...

gone but not forgotten
'79 Alfetta Sprint Veloce/'77 Alfetta Sedan /'76 Alfetta Sedan/'75 Alfetta Sedan
Old 01-17-2008, 02:00 PM

In Kentucky I can register any car that is at least 25 years old has a valid title,
that's what the girl at the DMV told me when I almost bought a Sud!!

Some springs, shocks and poly urethane sprinkled about!!
Old 01-17-2008, 02:12 PM

I have seen the 33 as I live in Dallas and it was on a lot near me. A little rougher in person but not too bad. The lot was closed at the time so I did not hear it run or anything further than a fly by. I do not know the guy.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:35 PM
In the Spider's Nest
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Zunige
I spoke to the owner about these cars... A very nice guy, but he's not about to post here again. If you search the BB you'll find some of the "warnings", which of course he's very angry about... I certainly have no idea if the cars are here legally or not, and any buyer really needs to cover his bases properly. I think they are very cool cars, and if I were within a few hours drive, I'd go see the cars for sure.

Here are some prior threads on Dutch Classic Imports which people may find interesting, (and I have no idea either way about the legality of this outfit):Best regards,
164 91S, 93L & 95Q

Member of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club USA
DARKSIDE MEMBER
Old 01-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Thanks for those links Enrique, they bring up the same questions. Buyers need to be very aware of grey market importing rules and whether or not the requirements have been properly met (with paperwork from DOT/EPA) before handing over the cash.
I too looked into importing a modern Alfa (156 Sportwagon) and was mired in paperwork and huge costs, which turned me off to the prospect. Everytime I see non-U.S. model cars for sale, I'm itching to know how they got here and if they're legal.
Thanks again!

gone but not forgotten
Old 01-18-2008, 09:14 AM

If it's at least 25 years old it's no problem to import and register a car. That "84" probably has a 1983 production date or earlier paperwork?

The only difficulty importing cars older than 25 years, we have at this point, is the weak dollar
Old 01-18-2008, 09:29 AM
In the Spider's Nest
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Zunige
The Alfas being offered by Dutch Classic Import are 1990 and 1993 models...

Best regards,
164 91S, 93L & 95Q

Member of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club USA
DARKSIDE MEMBER
Old 01-18-2008, 10:22 AM

I've been meaning to go check out his cars, but I have no intention to purchase any of them (not because I wouldn't be interested in them, but one Alfa is sufficient for me for now).

It appears that there are several Alfas in the Dallas area that should not be here... I recently (two weeks ago) spotted a silver 166 with Texas plates.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Well - it's not impossible to import, just expensive to certify. Which is why it's suspect that this seller is importing vehicles and selling them for $5-6K. There is no way he could be making a profit if the cars he imported were being properly certified by the EPA/DOT at those prices.

gone but not forgotten
Old 01-18-2008, 06:39 PM

Non-U.S. Models for sale in Texas

I saw and drove a 166 at a dealer in Milwaukee that was imported legally but was $50,000. I never got into more detail about it because of the price, but the dealer has a reputation for honesty so I assumed that the price was fair. And believe me it was beautiful with a light blue metallic finish. The other non u.s. models I've seen are for "parade purposes only" so can only be driven a few thousand miles a year and the mileage must be recorded with the Feds. And then there the Alfas that foreign diplomats can bring in but then they must export them when they leave the country. Sounds pretty much impossible to import a non u.s. model.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.