Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Proven Winner: 1974 Alfa Romeo GTV Race Car

For Sale 
24K views 43 replies 17 participants last post by  GTV4EVR 
#1 ·
Back problems are forcing the sale of this wonderful fast GTV.

This is a 1974 GTV was built from 2001 to 2004 to historic SCCA 1972 Trans-Am B Sedan specifications. The car has finished in first place at its last three events: Sandia (SWMS) June 2010, Las Vegas (VARA) October 2009, and Sandia August 2009.
The suspension is fully built for racing with #1300 front springs, a front sway bar system mounted behind the wheels, a custom panhard bar, and adjustable sway bar at rear. Carrera racing shocks were setup by Paul Spruell. Rear links are reinforced and lightened with heim joints replacing the original rubber bushings, and all front suspension bushings are racing quality. The body is seam welded. Sparco racing seat. Dropped and welded spindles by Jack Beck Custom, aluminum racing radiator.
All fuel and oil lines AN fittings and braided SS lines, 15 gallon Fuel Safe fuel cell, dual fuel pumps with fuel filter, press gauge in engine compartment. Full instruments including 2-stage tach, circuit breakers, etc in aluminum dash. Remote oil cooler. Bump steer reduced to zero. Lexan windshield, rear and ¼ windows.
The low hour engine was built by Terry Tinney and dyno’d at 202 HP. It breathes through DCOE 48 carbs, and features Cosworth forged pistons, Carrillo forged rods, a Tilton clutch, Spruell headers, an aluminum flywheel, MSD electronic ignition, and an MSD racing distributor. The transmission is a custom Schwitters 5-speed utilizing Hewland gears in the Alfa box with all ratios changeable. An Alfaholics donut replacement is installed along with a new driveshaft. Two sets of Panasport rims with Hoosier racing tires are included.

Asking $30,000 USD including custom built open trailer.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That must be a great car Ken and I imagine you must be disappointed that you can no longer drive it. I can see now why you sold Ruby to finance it. Good luck with the sale. It would cost a lot more than $30K to build a car to this specification.

#6 ·
Ken, sorry to hear about your back problems :-(

I owned the car for a brief period of time before Ken, and am glad to help answer any questions. The one race I ran was Mid-Ohio, where I think I got into the 1:43's in qualifying. It is a very fast car!

As others have said, it would be impossible to replicate for anywhere near the asking price. The transmission alone is well over $5K.

Best of luck with the sale. Wish I had the funds to buy it back from you!

#17 · (Edited)
Hi,

I'm the guy who built this car and can attest to it costing way more than the asking price! I'd like to add a few things that may be of interest.

The panhard system and front sway bar assembly were built by Terry Tinney in Livermore California. As mentioned he also built the engine. The spindles were dropped by an Alfa fabricator in the mid-West whose name escapes now right now.

The rods are Carrillo item # AL-1750>-66180S-00. The pistons are Cosworth via Jon Norman. As I recall Terry reworked their crowns extensively for better flow and combustion. The dyno sheet shows the max HP at 7400 RPM and a nearly flat torque curve 4800 - 6800 RPM.

The chassis came from Ken Kales in Chicago in 2000. At the time it was basically a shell but the cage and fuel cell well were complete.

I have a file of receipts available to the new buyer if desired. They are not complete, but do provide a more detailed picture of the build. Apologies to Erik, but I just recently found the file during a move. Curt Griggs, Sedona Arizona

#11 ·
No, it is no where near street legal. In addition to all the missing legally required stuff - eg wipers, lights, horn, turn signals etc., the non synchronized transmission and need for 110 octane race gas would be an issue :smile2:

#14 ·
Hello,

Beautiful car.
Still available?
I write from Vancouver.
The transaction, it has to be in US$ or the CDN equivalent at current rate?
When was the last time the engine run, and under what conditions, race? dyno? other?
Is the car sold on Bill Of sale only, or does it have a title?
I run a 1967 Morris Mini here in Vintage, with a CACC logbook. What logbook does the car have?
Looking forward to your response.
Many thanks.
Jorge Montesi

#15 ·
Hi Jorge,
The car was last raced last June. Since then, it has been run a few times, the latest was today when I had to move the car into position to load on the trailer. I'm taking it to Mosport on Sunday for a possible buyer to look at. The car has a CASC-OR log book and an HSR West log book. I do have a title, but not in my name. I didn't register it in Ontario since it isn't plated.

#16 ·
Hi Ken,
Thanks for your response.
Good luck on Sunday.
If it doesn't pan out, could you please let me know?
I'm interested.
What about the funds?
I gather you're selling on Bill of sale only then, right?
Do you prefer to deal through the forum or could I have your e-mail to communicate privately?
Thank you.

#23 ·
Hold your price. The season is just waking up.
Great car. My current build GTV does not have all your equipment that my previous car had, and I miss it so much that I could really be tempted to....

Good luck.
REmember, be patient. I'll get the word out that this is available.

Steve Fog

#26 ·
As a rookie, I never really pushed it so I can't say for sure, but I loved it. Erik drove it at Mid Ohio, so he would be a better source. From what Curt posted earlier in the thread, Terry Tinney supplied the sway bars. The diff is the stock shimmed 4.56.

#38 ·
It is a great car. But for vehicles like this, the market is much more narrow compared to a car that can be garaged and weekend driven. The right person will come along and be rewarded with a fine dedicated track toy (or vintage racer).

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.