Alfa Romeo Forums banner

'95 164LS, 79,000 miles

For Sale 
15K views 47 replies 19 participants last post by  csduetto 
#1 · (Edited)
'95 164LS, 79,000 miles - car is sold

Car is sold, bought by an ABB member and at its new home in Colorado
Hi All,
I am lowering the price a bit to $6500. I've had lots of interest but very little followthrough so before I go to CL, EBay and such, thought I'd try again with this community to find my LS a good home.
I have had a comment that the tbelt is getting near end of life (~29k miles, ~6 yrs since replacement) and though my mechanic does not think it's an issue, I respect the comment and hope this price reduction will give enough relief for the purchaser to do the belt if they wish. I could also have my shop replace the belt but for that I would hold the original price of $7200

With a bit of trepidation and reluctance, I’m selling my 1995 164LS. I bought it here in 2009 from fellow member sjmst. I brought it to the left coast and have driven it about 29,000 miles since purchased. Need to shed this one to make room and some funds to assist the completion of my GT junior redo.
Looks like I’m the 4th or 5th owner based on the materials I’ve been provided. Most everything from a copy of the original Monroney window sticker on through the most recent work detailed below is documented.
Still in great condition, properly maintained by a AR specialty shop when needed and about as clean as you’ll find. Runs fast and firm, a great grand tourer with a lot of ‘sport’ mixed in. Now to the details (a lot of which I’ll plagiarize from the 2009 trade / sale post from where I purchased…):
Asking Price: was $7,200, now asking $6500
Miles: ~79,000
Black/Black, 5speed, 3L 24V
ZARED33E6S6310243
Photos @ flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/129463977@N08/sets/72157648339523413/ take a look there and if there are others you want, ask and they will post there.
Located in SF Bay Area, CA

• 17” wheels w Falken Z1EX 225/45 17’s with ~19k miles on them w/ lots of life left
  • Squadra chip
  • B&G springs
  • Goats repaired LCD HVAC display – all works and legible
  • Invisible bra at leading edge of hood – no stone chips there as a result
  • One small seam split in FL seat, professionally repaired and unnoticeable
  • Headliner redone and flawless
  • Original owner manuals, tools, keys, alarm fobs included (never could figure out how to program/reset for the fobs though)
  • Original AM/FM/Cassette unit with 6 disc changer in trunk. All operable though the speakers are old and crap (usable and OK with me – I like hearing the 24V music) and should be replaced
  • Dash is 10/10 – no cracks, no fading or warping, interior is 9or10/10, exterior
is probably 8or9/10 (I’m picky)

Things not working, not working right or maybe in need of attention (most from the PO’s list and have not been an issue, some added by me over time):
• DS front seat heater switch ‘iffy’ – mostly does not work, sometimes the display icon will come on but I don’t sense heat. Never need that where I am so never bothered with it
• Small ‘dimples’ in DS front seat bottom, kind of back right corner. Leather is not jeopardized at all and I think it’s just a normal defect expected in cow hides (PO thought it may be from former owners, keys in pocket sort of thing). I say not.
• Misc minor dings (you’ll see not really noticeable when visiting the photos)
• Bottom cladding – at rear valance – ‘nubby’ paint is wearing off a bit in spots. Not a big issue and with the black material, not too noticeable.
• Small bubble areas where paint is failing / peeling on front bumper. ~1”x2” area and base material is black so not too noticeable but would eventually warrant a respray
• PO says was rearended lightly about a year before I acquired. Professionally repaired with new bumper cover, paint, aluminum strip via PO (I have receipts). Good job, not any noticeable difference from surrounding areas.
• Refrigerant lasts about 1-1.5 seasons per charge. Must be slow leak somewhere but the charge can be done easily at a low cost so has been no big deal to me.
• HVAC controls all work as intended though the link to the heater flap door must be disconnected (under dash?). I’ve read here on the BB kind of a pain to R&R. My solution has been to adjust to my liking based on season by moving the actuator arm behind the false firewall a bit to provide more, less or no hot air to the cabin. Again, I’m in a very mild climate
with minimal seasonal swings so not been an issue.
• Seat height adjustment function does not work well. Teeth or belt(?) stripped or jumped? Front/back/seatback tilt all fully functional otherwise
• PO represented hood repainted at time of adding the invisibra (looks great)
• Trunk lifting gas struts getting tired – need assistance to raise the trunk fully but holds it there once opened
• Stone chip very top edge of L headlight lens.

I think that’s about it for the ‘defects’ etc. list. If not on this list, assume all else in good/very good to perfect condition but feel free to ask on specific things of interest or concern. Now on to things done since purchase:
• Smog check and registration done 1/14. Engine runs cleaner than my newer supposedly low emissions vehicles (Mini, Audi 2L)
• Steering rack replaced w/ properly rebuilt unit. Rock solid (aligned too) 5/14
• Fuel pump inc pump relays, Oil sensor unit replaced 5/13
• Brake Master Cylinder, Clutch Slave cylinder + hose 12/11
• Fan wiring harness, temp sensor, A arms replaced 3/11
• Plugs + tune, RR window regulator replacement, O2 sensor, transaxle fluid changed 3/10
• Serpentine belt, T-belt, bypass hoses, water pump replaced 3/09 (@ 50,100mi).
That’s about it. A fun car that gets smiles and comments by those both in the know and clueless as to what it is and a very good example of the last year and low volume US spec ’95 164.
Let the tire kicking begin!

See less See more
#5 ·
SJMST here, the PO of this car. Fabulous LS, glad current owner enjoyed it. It is a beauty and really well sorted, if I do say so myself. I sweated little things like having custom made repros of underhood sticker done, and springs to level out the A** in the air stance of LS’s. If it is the same shape as when I sold it (and seems to be) it should be a no disappointments car, GLWS.

#12 ·
I sold my Q to guy from Texas who'd never heard of the BB. Advertised on both Hemmings and eBay; nothing beats eBay for exposure.

#13 ·
I just got an email this morning from a prospective buyer who is trying to contact you about this 164LS. He can't seem to get his alfabb log on to work and he thinks he also found this car on classicitaliancarsforsale web site.

PM me and I can give you his name and email. I do not know this person he just found my contact info and emailed me.

#18 ·
Hi Sam,
Yes, Steve gave me info a couple weeks ago and Leslie and are continuing a discussion.
Thanks for the heads-up.

PS - Leslie is a woman. You made same erroneous assumption I made!

#20 ·
bump again. For the weekend viewer and the approaching summer drive season.
Feeling a bit unloved at the moment and my wife says I need to communicate more.
If no interest here, I'll be forced to eBay and Craigslist. Cringing already.

#25 ·
Get the car for free in combo package!

AR OEM roof rack cross bars for sale, $7,000 or best acceptable offer.
Bars come with '95 164LS for free! :wink2:

Yes, price lowered a tad and now you get OEM roof rack bars.
Black plastic 'cladding' on one of the vertical legs of one bar is off. These are held on by the lock cylinder. Cylinder on one of the legs was broken by shipper when I bought/received the bars. Can't find an exact match for the cylinder and its locking point profile. I'm sure somebody can or at least can figure out a way to reinstall the cladding. I never wanted to get aggressive with figuring out a way as I didn't want to mar/alter the cladding piece. This has nothing to do with the functionality.
Take the challenge - buy the car and restore the rack!

#28 ·
AR OEM roof rack cross bars for sale, $7,000 or best acceptable offer.
Bars come with '95 164LS for free! :wink2:

Yes, price lowered a tad and now you get OEM roof rack bars.
Black plastic 'cladding' on one of the vertical legs of one bar is off. These are held on by the lock cylinder. Cylinder on one of the legs was broken by shipper when I bought/received the bars. Can't find an exact match for the cylinder and its locking point profile. I'm sure somebody can or at least can figure out a way to reinstall the cladding. I never wanted to get aggressive with figuring out a way as I didn't want to mar/alter the cladding piece. This has nothing to do with the functionality.
Take the challenge - buy the car and restore the rack!
This may help complete the roof rack :) Alfa Romeo 164 Saloon Roof Rack Parts RARE | eBay

#27 ·
kcabpilot - I think you know my answer.
And so close - only 1:24 to get here from Antioch right now according to Gmaps. If you wait until mid day, maybe 45 minutes! Or you could fly to San Carlos and I'll come meet you.
:grin2:
I'm not buying 2 S's though...

#29 ·
Noticed that in the ad, the question was asked if there were bolts. If he means the attachment bolts/pins to the roof, these specially shaped bolts are already factory installed in the rain gutters of every 164. Most don't know they are there.

The rack posts are different shaped than the Alfa rack I have, but look to work the same. I would imagine lengths of aluminum stock of some shape can be modified/worked to fit. Mine uses an oval shaped tube.

#30 ·
AlfaTango1,
Thanks for forwarding the ad. These posts won't help me (mine are fine) but very thoughtful of you to take the time.
My issue is that one of the molded outer black plastic cladding pieces that covers the posts once mounted to the car cannot be attached because the key cylinder locking point that holds it there is snapped off.

Del,
I don't think the posts in the ad will work for the 164. There is no hole near the foot of the post where the mounting/securing bolt you mention goes through like yours and mine do.

I think I have now successfully hijacked my own for sale post. Is this a BB 'first'?:laugh2:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.