For Sale Verde and 164 - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 11-30-2012, 03:49 AM
Platinum Subscriber

John hope you enjoy the new used 164. I hear it is a 5-speed, too. I thought it was but couldn't remember for sure. Gene and his wife are nice people.

Now let's hear it from a Verde buyer next.

As for GTV6s, I owned an 86 plus two more a 83 parts car I scrapped and an 85 with the 83's engine. I just flipped it and sold it along with the rear sheet metal I cut off the 83 to fix it. Sold 86 on ebay years ago with the 85's engine and 87 Milano heads in it. Musical GTV6s.

Sold my 87 Milano Gold same weekend I sold the 85 GTV6. Sold them the two guys from NC who came up together to get them and drive them back. They had a third bud in a Suburban drive them up and haul the sheetmetal back for the GTV6.

I am sure Gene's Verde will find a good home, too.
http://www.aroc-usa.org/ click on tech advisors to contact me by email for tech advice or use this AlfaBB 164 section or an alfabb Private Mail.

Daily drivers: USA models - 91 164L w/AT "Black Beauty I" ALFA4ME; 91 164S Black Beauty II ALFALFA

SOLD MY91 "Bianco" 164B 5-speed [My Originale], ALFISTO Movin On!
Also gone are Old Blue 91 164L, Rosso1 93 164L, Rosso2 91 164S; QS2 164L

Daughter's current ride: Her Granddads 2002 Ford Taurus

Current Car hauler and Parts chaser : 2000 Dodge Ram PU 5.2L V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 11-30-2012 at 04:19 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 05:38 AM

Is it necessary to skip 2nd to drive the Verde, that is say, from Blacksburg to south central PA? Do you know the mileage Steve? Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:49 PM

Good luck with the sale.
Also, Jalopnik linked this ad to their home page. Someone asking whether or not they should buy it. I'd say it's a matter of spontaneity and balls and fun. Otherwise you wouldn't consider buying an Alfa Romeo. Italian cars are about the love of driving and having enough balls to say "You know, I'd rather not drive a cliche on wheels, so I'm going to grow an imagination and get something special". Yes, depending on the Milano, you're not going to do much driving. It's gonna break down. It's not a probability, it's a fact. Water is wet and your Alfa Romeo will break down. If you have the garage space, an AlfaBB account, enough money to keep the car going and the resources to track down the parts you need, then do it. Don't ask questions, just throw your money at the person selling the car and have an adventure. ---Tyler.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Wow tyler, you have a low opinion of Alfas. They do not breakdown more than any late 80's car would. They are more dependable than most sports cars of that era. And I believe Genes is a good one, I would like it myself if I could.
Have you driven a lot of miles in Alfas? It doesn't seem like it.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:42 AM
Gold Subscriber

Interim update on the 164.....deal is done and I pick it up this upcoming Monday. Have all my materials for servicing and ready to get it on the road.

Will post pix when I get it home.

Cannot wait to be behind the wheel of a 164 again....been a year to the day I sold my 164L and it seems much longer than that!

John (JP) Perry

1972 Montreal - in process!
1991 164B - sold 8/2013
1989 Milano Verde - sold 11/2012
1986 Spider Quad - sold 1/2012
1991 164L - sold 11/2011
Old 12-12-2012, 05:13 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to AlfaVeloce
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetalAlfa View Post
Wow tyler, you have a low opinion of Alfas...Have you driven a lot of miles in Alfas? It doesn't seem like it.
Tyler's experience seems more like Fiat than Alfa. I ... knock on wood ... have never been stranded by an Alfa. I have by a Fiat, but not Alfa. Heck I even bought an Alfa sight unseen once and drove it from Maine to Texas and back to Alabama and used it as a daily driver. But I think HMA has heard that story before.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Help for the Confused and Incorrect since 2009
Legion President of The Confused and Incorrect
Old 12-12-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetalAlfa View Post
Wow tyler, you have a low opinion of Alfas. They do not breakdown more than any late 80's car would. They are more dependable than most sports cars of that era. And I believe Genes is a good one, I would like it myself if I could.
Have you driven a lot of miles in Alfas? It doesn't seem like it.
I like Alfas a lot. I'd consider myself an Alfa guy. To be honest, I've only driven one, and the owner always complained that it broke down. It was a '76 Alfetta and I would have bought it if it wasn't rusty and had electrical problems. It didn't break down while I was driving it, but I just took his word for it. Yeah, there are more reliable and more unreliable cars out there. Genes car does look like it's good. I hope it's new owner is a good one when the time comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaVeloce View Post
Tyler's experience seems more like Fiat than Alfa. I ... knock on wood ... have never been stranded by an Alfa. I have by a Fiat, but not Alfa. Heck I even bought an Alfa sight unseen once and drove it from Maine to Texas and back to Alabama and used it as a daily driver. But I think HMA has heard that story before.

Yeah, that's about right. I had a nice (looking) X1/9 when I was 20. Left me stranded maybe 4 times in a year. Ended up selling it. If I can find a good X1/9 that won't let me down, that would be cool. But not as cool as a good Milano, Alfetta, GTV6 or Spider. Not much of a Fiat guy anymore.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Gold Subscriber

Location: Rapid City SD, Black Hills of South Dakota, Queens NY
Send a message via Skype™ to Roadtrip
Reliability directly correlates to preventative maintenance. Most Americans treat their cars like toasters.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Platinum Subscriber

164 sold and Verde sale pending.
http://www.aroc-usa.org/ click on tech advisors to contact me by email for tech advice or use this AlfaBB 164 section or an alfabb Private Mail.

Daily drivers: USA models - 91 164L w/AT "Black Beauty I" ALFA4ME; 91 164S Black Beauty II ALFALFA

SOLD MY91 "Bianco" 164B 5-speed [My Originale], ALFISTO Movin On!
Also gone are Old Blue 91 164L, Rosso1 93 164L, Rosso2 91 164S; QS2 164L

Daughter's current ride: Her Granddads 2002 Ford Taurus

Current Car hauler and Parts chaser : 2000 Dodge Ram PU 5.2L V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
Old 05-07-2013, 08:42 AM
Gold Subscriber

Selling the 164B I just bought in December

Tried to decide if I should start a new post or continue this one...there were a lot of folks that commented, so opted for here.....

Unfortunately, I need to put up for sale my 164B that I just bought in December. While having my Montreal engine looked over by Richard Jemison, he found cracks on the plug thread side of the combustion chamber for each cylinder. Apparently, this is a common problem with Montreal engines…..just one that I had not budgeted for in the rebuild. The proceeds from the sale of the 164 will help pay those additional costs.

Since I bought the 164 in mid-December from Steve’s friend, Gene, who was the original owner, I have done the following work:

Engine:
1. Replaced timing belt and tensioner
2. Replaced both cam seals (one was leaking oil badly)
3. Plugs, plug wires, cap/rotor
4. Flushed all fluids and replaced (oil, transmission, coolant)
5. Replaced main serpentine belt (and newer tensioner from a parts car....more on this later), alternator belt and power steering belt
6. Installed new coolant temperature sensor and installed manual switch as backup in case the low speed fan resistor fails. It is working fine, just liked the backup. Electric fan comes on when it is supposed to...car runs at right temperature

Underneath:
1. Had resonator pulled as it had rusted through and a new straight pipe section welded in…great sound
2. Cleaned and adjusted brakes...pads were recently changed when I bought it
3. Rotated tires....still good tread left on all four

Air Conditioning:
1. Car was supposedly converted to R-134a...when compressor failed I saw it was not...
2. Put in a good R134a compressor from my parts car
3. Installed new filter/drier
4. Installed R-134a suction/discharge hoses
5. Installed new cross flow condenser
6. The car is quite cool....better than when it was from the factory

Inside:
1. All switches, buttons work....electric release for fuel door and trunk, central locking, sunroof, etc.
2. Had to sew up two seams on the seats...no tears, just seam thread came undone. Seats are fine, a little fading on the rear headrests.
3. Carpet is somewhat faded and a stain in the rear center hump
4. All power windows work, both power mirrors work

The overall good:
1. Starts easily
2. Idles smoothly
3. Accelerates very well, engine runs well to redline, averaging 18 mpg city with spirited driving
4. AC is cool
5. Brakes are solid (this is a base model and does not have ABS, it does have an airbag)
6. No leaks

The overall not-so-good:
1. The roof and right side B/C pillar paint is oxidized and faded. The car sat for the last year and the right side bore the brunt of the southern exposure. I have tried a lot of things to remove the oxidation....it needs a re-spray.
2. There is a bit of crazing on the hood as well. That small part needs a re-spray. Rest of paint is nice….had an estimate of $1800 to get this work and the roofline work fixed and painted
3. Some mechanic, before me, changed the main serpentine belt tensioner. That mechanic used the wrong thread bolts to hold on the tensioner (he used more coarse bolts than he should have)....all that to say, I had to rethread the holes in the block and do some heavy duty anchoring with washers to get the tensioner to hold. It looks wrong, yet is absolutely correct in how it holds tension on the serpentine belt. No slipping. The work I had to do is a good argument for not having a non-Alfa mechanic work on your car

While I have a lot more dollars and time in it, I am only asking $2,000 considering driving car back to new owner, paint and that 164s don't get the resale they should.

I have attached a lot of pictures, showing the good and bad. Just washed and waxed it….it shines well.

If you are interested in this wonderful 164, please send me a PM.

Sadly selling,

JP
Attached Images

John (JP) Perry

1991 164B - sold 8/2013
1991 164L - sold 11/2011
Old 05-07-2013, 08:44 AM
Gold Subscriber

More pix.....
Attached Images

John (JP) Perry

1991 164B - sold 8/2013
1991 164L - sold 11/2011
Old 05-07-2013, 08:52 AM
Gold Subscriber

Last set of pix....
Attached Images

John (JP) Perry

1991 164B - sold 8/2013
1991 164L - sold 11/2011
Old 05-10-2013, 03:04 PM
Platinum Subscriber

JP,

As i said last week to you, here we go again, another 164 nicely sorted and you are selling it! Gonna owe me big time on the Maratona project as I am sure I will do the same for you on the Montreal. You may want to post this sale on a separate post as some prospective buyers may not notice you have this for sale on this post. And stop looking at the alfas' for sale section....i will ask Alfisto Steve if he can have you banned from that side of alfabb for at least the next year or so....hehe!

E

1984 GTV6 Red(first love)Sold, LKL Greece
1985 GTV6 Red Sold, LKL Charleston, SC
1984 GTV6 Dark Gray GTV6 3.0, The Driver
1983 GTV6 Silver current parts donor for all
1984 Maratona, currently "The Project"
1989 Milano Verde, sold locally in CLT
1991 164 L White, sold for parts, LKL Unkown
1991 164 L Black, new parts donor
Old 05-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Gold Subscriber

E,

While I don't say this often where you are concerned....you are right.

Right on the fact about selling a sorted 164, right that I need to post separately and right that I owe you some wrench time on the Maratona.

Thanks, JP

John (JP) Perry

1991 164B - sold 8/2013
1991 164L - sold 11/2011

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.