For Sale 1967 Duetto - NoCal - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 04-19-2012, 11:20 PM

1967 Duetto - NoCal

The car is sold. Thanks for all who inquired.

I bought this car in September, 1977 from a local guy and have owned it since. For a few years, it was my primary daily driver (I only had a few miles to work) and later, it was the occasional car. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get it smogged in 1997 and parked it. It sat covered outside for about 19 years until this fall when, retired, I got some time to concentrate on it. Reading on this forum and elsewhere, I very carefully and slowly have revived it. This included a new fuel pump, cleaning the fuel lines, boiling out, welding, and coating the tank, and of course changing the oil, coolant, plugs, and points. I also had some brake calipers that were locked up, so I got some later calipers (ATE) from APEXand replaced them. It now starts (starter fluid helpful), runs (roughly), goes around the neighborhood (slowly), and stops (when I want it to). However, it is in serious need of a tune-up (I can only do so much), and I know the rubber Weber carb mounts are cracked (can speed up the engine by pushing the airbox against the engine or spaying car fluid at the mounts), probably contributing to the roughness and lack of power. It doesn’t seem to smoke much, if at all, and dry hot compression runs from about 125-145.

I would say the exterior is very good. No dents to speak of. I know of no body repairs (at least none in the 35 years I’ve owned it). Of course the paint is pretty faded and chipped in spots. There is some little bubbling under the paint at spots. No visible rust on the body panels. There is rust in the double floor behind the seats, and I can’t slide the seats. I’m not sure if or how much rust is on the front floors. I had had a small patch put in the driver’s side when I was still driving it, and most of the heavy coating is still on the passenger side. There are some rust spots underneath, mostly related to the interior problems described above. I don’t have it on a lift, so I just tried to take some shots crawling underneath. I am happy to have interested parties inspect it and give their judgments.

In addition to that noted above, back when I was driving the car, I changed a few things. I replaced the rear end with a later model LSD and upgraded to ATE front and rear (no booster). I still have the original rear end, so the buyer can have it if wanted. I put Campagnolo wheels on (I have the original steel wheels and hubcaps, too). At some point I put a dash cap over my cracked dash, and that still looks good. And in 1985 I bought a rebuilt 1600 105 Veloce engine from a guy in Ohio and installed it myself. I still have the letter from him detailing the work that had been done on it.
So, what you have is a Duetto in pretty original condition. It needs a new top, seats, and carpet/mats. The tires need to be replaced (you’ll see that I had to mount the spare with the steel wheel when one of the tires blew out when I first re-inflated it)!The speedo, oil pressure, and temp gauges work,… the tach doesn’t (probably the cable) and I removed the fuel gauge sender. You’ll need to check out the mechanicals to have it run well and safely You’ll need a trailer to get it home. So, it’s pretty much an original “project” car. I don’t think it would take too much to make it a daily driver.

I’m going to start out asking $8,000. I don’t whether that’s reasonable and will entertain offers. I thought I would first list it on the forum, but may eventually need to go EBay to find the right price. I’m in Modesto, less than a hundred miles from the Bay Area and most of the Central Valley. I will be happy to have you check it out.
Contact me at deangary46@sbcglobal.net Here's a link to some additional photos: 1967 Alfa Romeo Duetto 1600
Attached Images

Last edited by Duetto Gary; 05-05-2012 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Added link to photos
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2012, 05:28 AM

Gary
What is the serial number of the car and the serial number of the currently installed engine?
Old 04-24-2012, 06:56 AM

Just for clarity, how is the replacement engine any different than what was originally in it? As far as I know there isn't any difference.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:53 AM

The body number is: AR663429.
The engine number is: A00536 12098 *

This is the email I received from Alfa Romeo for the body number:

"with reference to your request we are informing you as follows.

According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 663429 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo Spider 1600 “Duetto” (105.03), manufactured on the 10th January 1967 and sold on the 13th January 1967 to Alfa Romeo USA, Newark.

The body colour is red, with black skai interiors.

Yours, Sincerely,
Marco Fazio

Automobilismo Storico Alfa Romeo

Centro Direzionale

Viale Alfa Romeo

20020 Arese (MI) Italy"

No engine number was sent.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-05-2012, 05:09 PM

Smile It's Sold1

The car has been sold.
Thanks,
Gary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.