For Sale Callaway GTV6 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 03-07-2010, 04:43 PM

Callaway GTV6

Hi
I am selling my callaway GTV6.
long story but we will try to make it short here. First I am not a dealer, bought the car a few years ago from Florida, It had all the paperwork from day 1, even a log of every fill up from the day it lft the dealership.
Problem, the car was a rust bucket ( well hidden by the previous owner!) so when I got the car that only had 36k miles, I parked it in side the garage. After 2 years I found a rust free GTV6, 85 model year, same color combo than original. I stripped the new GTV6 and treated all areas with 2 coats of POR 15, all othe rcavities sprayed with wax. There was a dollar coin size rust spot on the passenger side drain, that was welded and POR treated.
The Callaway engine was stripped and resealed, all new hoses, powder coated covers, heat coated and wrapped exhaust manifolds, new aeroquip oil return lines from turbo, new timing belt and tensionner......
New donuts, new stainless steel brake lines, new clutch master, brake proportioning valve, flushed all fluids, use only synthetic Elf oil, etc......
Callaway spoiler and hood scoop were transfered over also.
the car runs great, the engine has about 37500 miles now.
the body of the car has about 85000.
I have all the receipts from the original callaway car as well as all the receipts for the parts that went into making it a beautiful and rust free GTV6
Bought all parts from International auto parts.
The car has the tan leather interior.
you can see photos on my site: Classic Euro and Rally Cars
and I have plenty more including details of underbody....
I welcome inspections and hopefully after a couple good rain storms, the salt will have washed out from the road and she'll be ready for a drive.

According to Hagerty insurance, these models are between $17K and $23K., if I had to sell the car for what I have into it, it would have to be close to the 23K, but a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
I think this great running car, in a rust free body should make a new driver very happy for the sum of $ 15900.
please contact me for more info at:
faloppaf@macomb.edu or 248-224 2872
Car is located in southeast Michigan
Happy motoring
Francois
Attached Images

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2010, 11:07 PM

So is this car titled at the regular gtv6 or the callaway now?
Old 03-08-2010, 03:16 AM

I have the original title from the original Callaway and it was also titled as a GTV6.
Callaway is not a car manufacturer, this was an aftermarket kit installed as an option when you purchased a GTV6.
just like a Dinan BMW is still title as the BMW model it was sold as.
thanks
Old 03-08-2010, 10:30 AM

True, but all the VINs are documented that had the conversion done. So this car is not actually still titled as one of those cars.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:12 AM
In the Spider's Nest
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Zunige
Quote:
Originally Posted by francois View Post
...Callaway is not a car manufacturer, this was an aftermarket kit installed as an option when you purchased a GTV6.
No, this is simply completely inaccurate. The cars were taken to Callaway, and Callaway performed all the work, which met all EPA regs. Callaway was a well known "tuner", not a company that produced or sold aftermaket turbo kits for the DIY crowd. As was the case with the Corvettes, and other marques, these editions were very special (with a price tag commensurate with their exclusivity) and all 35 "tuned" GTV6 cars were sanctioned by Alfa Romeo.

Best regards,
164 91S, 93L & 95Q

AROC-USA Member
DARKSIDE MEMBER
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-08-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtpeper View Post
True, but all the VINs are documented that had the conversion done. So this car is not actually still titled as one of those cars.
I'm not convinced that the Callaway cars all had the VINs recorded, by Alfa or Callaway. I seem to remember reading, rather recently, that someone was seeking this information and that it basically didn't exist. Gossip, maybe - but knowing the unreliable and disorganized nature of the ARDONA when the cars were new, this is totally feasible.

A Callaway would still be titled as a regular Alfa Romeo GTV-6.

Callaway kits were available for purchase SEPARATE from the GTV-6 itself.

As such, it is possible that more than the original 35 exist. There are also a couple Callaway equipped Milanos in the mix, built with bought aftermarket kits. Whether or not the dealer installed them, who knows - but I don't see anything wrong with correlating DINAN and Callaway.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:16 PM

I think the one I had did not mention callaway on the title.

--Dave
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Gold Subscriber

Come on guys stop debating, it's a Callaway as far as I'm concerned. This guy did a S*** Load of work to get it up to spec. It's well worth the price as far as I'm concerned. Good Job and good luck with the sale. Don't budge on the price.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:35 PM

Hey does anybody know what it would take to make this legal for registration in California? Cats for sure but was there other stuff different for CA also?
Old 03-08-2010, 06:53 PM

As others have said, the records at Callaway were not always clear and I have never seen a complete listing of VIN #s. There also seem to be quite a few "prototypes" and at least one show car that exist, in addition to the ~35 production cars.

Some of the cars were converted at the Callaway facility and others were done at dealerships by Callaway techs during the period. I have never seen documentation that you could purchase the "kit" to convert your own car during the period these were new - that doesn't mean it didn't happen. There were also other cars built up after production ended from spare Callaway bits.

How does this relate to the seller's car? It seems that every effort is being made to present full disclosure on this vehicle. If a buyer is satisfied with what is being sold, they should buy the car and be happy.

If in the future a less scrupulous owner sells the car without disclosing the chassis swap then there would be an issue, but that is not really relevant here.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:01 AM

The title on my GTV6 Callaway simply said GTV6 (nothing about Callaway). Back then I contacted Callaway, and they claimed they had no register of the VINs of the GTV6s they converted.

The seller is up front and fully disclose the circumstances regarding the car, and I believe the price reflects the special circumstances.

Jes
(Repeating what I suggest or do, is at your own risk - be critical)
Old 03-09-2010, 04:33 AM

According to all the original paperwork that includes bill of sale from dealer, Callaway warranty......this car was number 37 or the last one and because at the time Callaway was swamped with Corvette order, this conversion was done at the dealership in NJ.
The original owner was meticulous about keeping track of every expense and oil change as well as gas fillups.
The original car had been rear ended and after the repair rusted like there is no tomorrow, The original owner had made a list of all the rust spots.
so anyway my thinking was: I rather drive a rust free, structurally sound GTV6 with the callaway reinstalled in it than the original that was so rusted, it was no longer structurally safe. That is why I did the swap.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:37 AM

2 more things:
I also tried contacting callaway a few times and was never able to get a list of VINs for the converted cars.
As for registering in CA, I am not sure but it seems a lot of people in CA are also regitering cars next door in OR. I almost sold my R5 Turbo to a guy in CA that was going to use that route to skip the BAR sticker. Thank god I came to my senses and kept the car!
Old 03-09-2010, 11:49 AM

If you are in Calif & intersted -make sure to read to bottom.

If you are in California a couple of comments.

The Callaway conversion was, at least in theory, available as a kit. [but a very big kit!] I had a GTV 6 at the time and considered the swap.

There was a brand new Callaway fors sale at the Marin County dealer back in the day. I don't remember the emissions situation with that particular car. Also, those were the days when a lot of dodgy cars were certified. It is anyone's guess what might happen with BAR. They could be certified?

I do NOT advise trying to register a car in Oregor or Nevada. For the longest time the CHP has been watching cars with out of state registration that they see more than once. Believe me, they will stop you in a second and you better have an out of state driver's license that matches. I could go on and on about this. I have had numerous enthusiast cars with potential issues and also wish it were lots easier here. [Yes. I also find this particular car interesting and worry about registering/smogging it in California].

Too bad. Nice car. BUT I hope no one here makes the mistake of thinking there is an easy answer. NOW- wild card. I did a quick Google search. Call this "you never know" and here is what I ran across!!!!! I have no idea if this is still for sale but it appears the individual owned and operated his own Calloway GTV 6 in SoCal not that long ago. FOR SALE: CALLAWAY ALFA BITURBO KIT
Old 03-10-2010, 12:53 PM

The Callaway cars did not come direct from the factory even though that is what ARDONA first proposed and was pushing for. Instead, Callaway Turbosystems bought the cars wholesale from Alfa, modified them, and then marketed them through selected Alfa dealerships as Callaway Twin Turbos. Thus, the original titles would not have shown them as Callaways. Dealers had to order at least 3 of them, the engine (if not the entire drivetrain) was warrantied by Callaway rather than by Alfa.

I do not know the seller but I did take a look at his web page which is worth checking out. Clearly this is a guy who takes pride in his cars and his work. The fact that he is being very transparent about the car's history is quite refreshing. Nothing is more annnoying than driving hundreds of miles to see a car that is not as described (or even worse ... buying one on ebay, having it delivered, and finding all sorts of nasty surprises).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.