Salvage auction 4C - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Salvage auction 4C

Folks, there are a couple of 4C coupes going to auction today with Texas and Florida salvage titles. Both are priced a hair above $30k and appear fairly intact with what looks to be minor scuffs to the bumpers...
Can experts or previous owners shime in on whether these seemingly minor surface scruffs are hiding structural damage to the carbon fiber tub or suspension elements behind them, or whether those plastic bumpers really cost $25k to repair or replace???

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:37 AM

Looking at that photo you might need a new bumper, but the carbon tub, does not go further than just in front of the rear wheels, so very unlikely to have any damage. Regarding suspension, you really need to look at the wheel alignment.

I am sure that the rear bumper is expensive, though. You can search for more 4C info here: Alfa Romeo 4C Forums

1994 Alfa Romeo 164 Q4 - Proteo Rosso (530.000km) --- 1989 Lancia Thema 8.32 - Verde Indy (260.000km) --- 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C - Rosso Competizione (45.000km)
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

It does look temptingly sweet.
Any clue what those bumpers should cost... even roughly in Sweden (euro style), for budgeting and comparison purposes???

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:48 AM

Not really, but a guess could be 3.000 euro or above...
sbadaro likes this.

1994 Alfa Romeo 164 Q4 - Proteo Rosso (530.000km) --- 1989 Lancia Thema 8.32 - Verde Indy (260.000km) --- 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C - Rosso Competizione (45.000km)
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:23 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Don't be fooled by what looks like a scuff. The insurance companies walked away from the cars for a reason.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:43 AM

Having scuffed my 4C (on the track), I can tell you that what didn't look bad ended up being major surgery. Aside from the more obvious (fascia & front left fender) I had bent a wheel, control arm and the front subframe. The front fenders are soft plastic supported by an aluminum spider web of fingers which also had be replaced. The repair cost me $15k. Would have been $20k if it was an insurance job. The headlight alone was $800.

The insurance companies write off a car when the cost of the repair equals the value of the car. It's a $60k +++ car. Yes, as long as the carbon fiber tub is not damaged, the rest of is just bolt-on parts.

I drove this off the track.
sbadaro likes this.

Racer Z
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:00 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

"The insurance companies write off a car when the cost of the repair equals the value of the car"

In our cases of used Alfas of earlier years, the insurance company usually totaled the car at ~40% of the assessed value.
sbadaro likes this.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Z View Post
Having scuffed my 4C (on the track), I can tell you that what didn't look bad ended up being major surgery. Aside from the more obvious (fascia & front left fender) I had bent a wheel, control arm and the front subframe. The front fenders are soft plastic supported by an aluminum spider web of fingers which also had be replaced. The repair cost me $15k. Would have been $20k if it was an insurance job. The headlight alone was $800.

The insurance companies write off a car when the cost of the repair equals the value of the car. It's a $60k +++ car. Yes, as long as the carbon fiber tub is not damaged, the rest of is just bolt-on parts.

I drove this off the track.
Enjoyed your 'diary' of the LE saga... the write up is like an action romance 💞... you're one of the lucky ones with an understanding wife😉.
Unfortunately the corsa rosso I had my eyes on got sold already... guess I'll make do with those two and their evil step sister for a while...

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:36 AM
Platinum Subscriber

It's great that you were able to repair your 4C .

In some states the repair cost is covered by law. in Kentucky, it is mandatory to total a car when repair is over 75% of it's value, and the insurance company is penalized for doing anything different (ask me how I know...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Z View Post
....The insurance companies write off a car when the cost of the repair equals the value of the car...

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbadaro View Post
Enjoyed your 'diary' of the LE saga... the write up is like an action romance 💞... you're one of the lucky ones with an understanding wife😉.
Unfortunately the corsa rosso I had my eyes on got sold already... guess I'll make do with those two and their evil step sister for a while...

Wow... I spoke too soon... the auction is back on... let you guys know soon.

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:50 PM

Good luck. Keep us updated.
sbadaro likes this.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Got it!!! Florida 'salvage repairable' title... 'no structural damage' listed on the carfax 😃

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 01:38 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
If no structural damage, why did the insurance company walk away?
sbadaro likes this.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Got it!!! Florida 'salvage repairable' title... 'no structural damage' listed on the carfax 😃
Is it the one in the picture from the first post?
sbadaro likes this.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 02:24 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Did you buy it?

Two words on that tub: Gorilla Glue
sbadaro likes this.

Tom

1991 Spider
1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode