post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 05:08 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

"If no structural damage, why did the insurance company walk away?"

Fear of the unknown.
sbadaro likes this.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
"If no structural damage, why did the insurance company walk away?"

Fear of the unknown.
I certainly hope so.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
If no structural damage, why did the insurance company walk away?
I have money on Del's explanation 'fear of the unknown'...
I hear what you're saying though... what worries more is the voided warranty at 5k miles!!! May be it's just 'policy' when car is declared salvage... may be the warranty is automatically voided when the rpm needle touches the red line...
I won't know for sure till the car gets here in a couple of months... remote buying sight unseen is a real bxxxh... wish me luck buddy.

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 07:28 AM

Given the rarity of the car, and the cost of good OEM replacement parts, I don't think you'll lose even if you have to part it out in the end.
One owner indicated the sill alone was $6K, IIRC.
I know that's not why you bought, but if half the body panels and most of the rest is intact then your investment is likely still covered should you decide not to pursue putting this one back on the road.

Good luck!
sbadaro likes this.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 11:01 AM

Redline isn't an issue with the 4C. If a driver does rev it out enough to hit redline, one of two things happens, both are classified as 'self protection'. There's many variables involved here.

1) It will upshift into the next gear.
2) The rev-limiter will kick in and shut off the fuel.

I've experienced both without harm to the car. I prefer the upshift rather than the fuel cut.

The sill, rocker panel, rear fender are fiberglass and repairable depending on level of damage. The rest of the panels ore SMC and not repairable. I have no knowledge about the engine hatch.

Body panels are the least of (my) concerns. It's the mechanicals that hold the wheels on and so forth that are important to me. The car doesn't need the fenders in order to drive, turn & stop.

Back to the insurance company and their thinking. First, it starts with the body shop or dealer or repair shop that does the repair estimate. For an insurance job, they don't repair any parts. They replace everything that has even the tiniest mark. That $6,000 dollar panel that might be repairable for $300 and some paint, gets replaced. The replacement panel will still need to be painted.

Then there's the unknown decisions the service writer made. Perhaps only one control arm is bent, but he/she wrote it up that the entire corner gets replaced. One control arm turns into upper and lower with a knuckle and bearing set and a wheel. Without actually doing the technical work involved to know what the truth is.

When I crashed my 4C, the repair was out-of-pocket. The estimate was $20,000. I got it down to $15,000 because I refused to replace every nut, bolt & washer that had a spec of flyshit on it. Does it effect the mechanical safety of the car? Can I see it from a normal viewing angle?

The carbon fiber tub can't be fully inspected until the car has been disassembled. I doubt they took the car apart, inspected it, and then reassembled it with the bad parts. There is that, "fear" factor. There is the $$$ involved just with the obvious.

Congrats and good luck.
sbadaro likes this.

RaceráZ
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 11:10 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I would suspect, just from [strike]experience [strike] a SWAG that part of the insurance company's decision process was influenced by difficulty in getting timely estimates of parts costs from Alfa in Italy. I doubt if many non-mechanical parts are stocked in the U.S. and the company got frustrated trying to get firm cost and ship dates....

71 Spider
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 11:12 AM

4C Service Manual

I just remembered that the Factory Service Repair Manual is now available on CD. Mine cost about $160 shipped.

https://www.techauthority.com/

This is the official manual. Tech Authority is part of FCA.
sbadaro likes this.

RaceráZ
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokki View Post
I would suspect, just from [strike]experience [strike] a SWAG that part of the insurance company's decision process was influenced by difficulty in getting timely estimates of parts costs from Alfa in Italy. I doubt if many non-mechanical parts are stocked in the U.S. and the company got frustrated trying to get firm cost and ship dates....
Could be... I waited about three months for parts. I was surprised. I was expecting six months.

RaceráZ
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

Folks, since you've been so supportive and are all based stateside, do you know if there is an on-line way to get the service records from the Florida dealer who serviced the car??? The name is on the carfax report (The Collection - Coral Gables), but it doesn't state what was done or was left undone on the car... hints anyone???
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 02:54 AM

Interesting purchase - I think this could be a very good buy As mentioned, parting out the car should also bring back quite a bit of money, if it turns out to be beyond repair.

I hope to hear what you get out of it and lots of photos of it, would be much appreciated

I'm not stateside, so cannot comment on the last part.
sbadaro likes this.

1994 Alfa Romeo 164 Q4 - Proteo Rosso (530.000km) --- 1989 Lancia Thema 8.32 - Verde Indy (260.000km) --- 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C - Rosso Competizione (45.000km)
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 06:24 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbadaro View Post
Folks, since you've been so supportive and are all based stateside, do you know if there is an on-line way to get the service records from the Florida dealer who serviced the car??? The name is on the carfax report (The Collection - Coral Gables), but it doesn't state what was done or was left undone on the car... hints anyone???
I would make the seller obtain those as a condition of sale, including the name of the insurance company who totaled the car.

Now that we're getting serious about purchase, I would also do a couple other things on your end.

I see that you're in Jordan - what is it going to cost to ship the car there? Note that if the car is not drivable shipping may be more expensive so check on that aspect too. Also check on import restrictions for 'junked' cars, and see what your customs/import duties are.

The next important step is to find a mechanic in Jordan who is willing to undertake repairing the car and can handle ordering the replacement parts from Italy. Without somebody experienced who can handle the the work you are going to end up with a very expensive lawn ornament.

Finally, start doing some research about used 4C's from Europe. New 4C's in the states go for roughly $60 USD. I don't have figures for used cars handy but I suspect that after purchase, shipping, customs, and repairs you are going to be very close in cost ($15K USD is not an unreasonable guess for shipping, parts, repairs, and paint) with the bonus that you will be driving the used 4C from Europe about a year sooner than your repaired car.

For what it's worth.
sbadaro likes this.

71 Spider

Last edited by Lokki; 01-15-2017 at 06:34 AM.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 06:56 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
I don't understand the economics of this. I see several low mileage 2015 4C's on fleabay that have buy it now prices for between $50-$60k.

The initial price and repair cost could easily approach the cost of one of these other cars.
sbadaro likes this.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbadaro View Post
On-line? Not that I know of. If you were here in the states, you could walk into any dealer and give them the VIN. They could find any and all dealer service information. Possibly, a letter or phone call to the Florida dealer will work.

Keep in mind that you bought an insurance auction. The car was sold "as is". They are not obligated to help you and what ever state the car is in, is not their concern any longer. You've bought a "car in a box".
sbadaro likes this.

RaceráZ
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokki View Post
Z

I would make the seller obtain those as a condition of sale, including the name of the insurance company who totaled the car.

Now that we're getting serious about purchase, I would also do a couple other things on your end.

I see that you're in Jordan - what is it going to cost to ship the car there? Note that if the car is not drivable shipping may be more expensive so check on that aspect too. Also check on import restrictions for 'junked' cars, and see what your customs/import duties are.

The next important step is to find a mechanic in Jordan who is willing to undertake repairing the car and can handle ordering the replacement parts from Italy. Without somebody experienced who can handle the the work you are going to end up with a very expensive lawn ornament.

Finally, start doing some research about used 4C's from Europe. New 4C's in the states go for roughly $60 USD. I don't have figures for used cars handy but I suspect that after purchase, shipping, customs, and repairs you are going to be very close in cost ($15K USD is not an unreasonable guess for shipping, parts, repairs, and paint) with the bonus that you will be driving the used 4C from Europe about a year sooner than your repaired car.

For what it's worth.
I'm guesstimating a hair shy of $2000 for shipping...
Parts will probably stay a mistery untill the car gets here... but will try calling the florida dealer...
Mechanics... who knows...
Restrictions on import... right you are... our government did announce ban on salvage cars effective 1st of January... I will be negotiating the 'rebuildable-no structural damage' angle...
The economics is a bit more poker than math... but... if the scratch is all there is to it then I'm up a good 30 - 40 grands over any 2016 4C with 3,730 miles on it... if not...
Lokki my friend your's is the sound of reason... if I listen to it I'd be driving a Prius on the weekend and taking the bus to work... c'mon... let's live a little...

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

Situation update... Shipping company picked up the 4C from Copart... Come to dady now

Still didn't manage to get the repair / service history (reckon I'll try to reach out to previous owner on the 4C forum)... but local Alfa dealer did pull the options sheet... wow... hope it's ALL still with the car... race tuned suspension... coupe track package 1... sport tuned exhaust... performance tires... 4c coupe package - 22c... red car cover not in the delivery photos ... carbon fiber everything... annnnd... 2.6 additional gallons of gas (still there may be???).

On the down side, front light is broken... wasn't showing or mentioned on the Copart listing... but... sold as is I guess.

Racer Z... Racer Z... for the life of me I can't find the message string with your email which you so graciously sent... and I'm supposed to be a "teckkie"... early Alzheimer I guess... but thanks for the feedback and the welcome to the club you all.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode