Rear Spoiler - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

2Likes
  • 1 Post By 4Canada
  • 1 Post By Wibler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Rear Spoiler

Does the rear spoiler on the 4C go up and down? The car they have found for me has a spoiler and to be frank I don't think I like the looks of a spoiler on this car.

r/Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 02:26 PM

I've yet to see a moving spoiler for the4C, and I've seen a number (from the OEM CF or painted ones, to things that look like they belong next to a foot path in a park).

The Alfa spoiler is glued or taped on the boot lid (and in true Alfa Romeo fashion, it almost fits properly, LOL). There are some similar products (more duck-billed, if you wish) which also stick down. Squadra Sportiva has a GT style wing (and there are a few others as well) which are fixed in the "up" position. The trick with these becomes how and where to fasten them. There are swan-neck ones that slit into the rear bumper, and others mount on the deck lid. Keep in mind the car's skin is all composite plastic panels - it can't take a lot of weight without deforming or ripping out fasteners.

The concept behind the 4C is lightness. A retractable spoiler is a lot of added weight, in the very back where the 4C does not need it. If you want one of those, get a Porsche or a Jag instead. Also, for real aero effect, a proper wing would probably have to stick up pretty high, out of the obstruction from the fast-back of the coupe or the ledge of the Spider.

I agree with your assessment - subtle looks best on these cars, and a naked arse is very pretty!
Raton likes this.

Last edited by 4Canada; 12-31-2016 at 02:28 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 02:40 PM

This is the Novitec one, and is about as radical as I would want to go (personal preference)

Madness Autoworks shows a few CF spoilers on their website for the4C, all of which sit tight to the hatch lid.

Then, there's this (if it's your thing)

Not my idea of aesthetically beautiful, but probably the most effective at producing downforce.
If you track your car seriously, and go for something like this, I'd highly recommend adding dive planes up front, though.
There's enough understeer at speed anyway, without the added rear weight from this. And I'm not sure the rear deck lid won't crack from the pressure anyway!

Last edited by 4Canada; 12-31-2016 at 02:47 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 02:44 PM

Or, if you are into dining out, or perhaps going to the drive-in with your 4C...

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 02:50 PM

Now that I've scared you, go to the configurator on the Alfa website, and use the tool to see the car with and without the factory spoiler (which is what theylikely mean). It is very tasteful, actually. Comes in carbon fibre with the Launch Edition cars and with the carbon package offered on some cars in 2016, but also was available in body colour painted version in 2015 and 2016.

You'll probably like it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

The sticker I am looking at says the following:

"Coupe Track Package 1"
Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler

Which of the attachments would that be?

r/Mike
Attached Images

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibler View Post
The sticker I am looking at says the following:

"Coupe Track Package 1"
Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler

Which of the attachments would that be?

r/Mike
Second one - stuck flat to the hatch lid.
Mine has it too.
Nice finishing trim, and subtle.

Your first pic is the Pogea Racing "Centurion" body kit for the 4C.

These are the Alfa spoiler:

Last edited by 4Canada; 01-01-2017 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Added images
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 09:42 AM

Garage
As 4Canada pointed out, the factory spoiler is pretty subtle and I think looking at the lines and curves of the 4C in total it's not too distracting to the overall shape. Here's another angle on it....
Attached Images

Matt Leavitt Alfa9 Supply
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fast road and track parts and tuning for the Alfa Romeo 4C
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Well, the Build Configurator has two listings. One is a rear spoiler in the same color as the body. The other is the Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler.

I don't want a great big old spoiler sticking up from the rear of the car. I am going to have the dealer that has the car get me a pic before I commit to buying.

But if it is indeed as you guys say, the AR 4C might be in my driveway soon!

r/Mike
4Canada likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 11:22 AM

The two Alfa options are the same size and shape - just one is body paint, the other real carbon fibre.

Here's the naked rear end (no spoiler)

Here's the stock body-colour-painted spoiler

Another

And this is it in Carbon Fibre.

My bad for showing you all the after-market stuff first.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibler View Post
Does the rear spoiler on the 4C go up and down? The car they have found for me has a spoiler and to be frank I don't think I like the looks of a spoiler on this car.

r/Mike
Negative. The 4C spoiler is fixed.

I think everyone has already said pretty much everything there is to say and it's all correct.

My LE has the carbon fiber spoiler and I think it looks good that way. I've seen 4Cs with the same spoiler painted to match the car, and that looks good too. I've also see the 4C without a spoiler, and that looks equally good as well.

I've heard from a few who understand aerodynamics better than me, and they claim the OEM spoiler won't have any effect on the down force. But it looks good. That's why others have developed those big wings that stick way up in the sky. But it looks silly on a street car.

As mentioned, if you really don't want a spoiler, it's just glued on. Not sure if the paint will be damaged on removal or not.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 06:18 PM
Gold Subscriber

Mine has the track package and is color matched to the car.

Jim P
Sunnyvale, TX
Attached Images

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 07:43 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

"they claim the OEM spoiler won't have any effect on the down force"

Well, it kinda does or not, depending on just how it is designed. Basically what these small spoilers can do is retard the turbulent airflow behind the rear of the car from climbing back up onto what would be the trunk area, if it had one. This encourages the airflow over the top of the car to remain attached further down behind, like a tailored Kamm effect, reducing drag a little and increasing high speed stability.

Remember the early pre-facelift Audi TT roadster, where they found that they had to end up adding a small spoiler on the aft end in order to decrease high speed instability, and reduce drag just a little as well.

I'm sure that this 4C car design, as I'm sure the new Giulia, was wind tunnel tested with and without the spoiler to determine the effect, and I'm inclined to believe that it is for the above purpose. Not big enough or in the proper position to produce downforce, but just enough to reduce drag inducing trunk reversed airflow.

A spoiler as mounted on the 164S however, may have less of an effect, as it has that slot below it allowing some turbulent air to flow up and forward onto the trunk lid, so I suspect that it is more for visual effects, not aero, but Alfa did mention somewhere that the 164S fairings, ie, 'aero package', did reduce the vehicle drag coefficient just a little, although it is mostly for visual effect. IMO.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 01-06-2017 at 07:51 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode