Lifting the 4C - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By kevinl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Lifting the 4C

I found a sheet metal screw in my tire yesterday and pulled it out. It did not cause a leak that I know of yet, head was worn but not off. So the real question is how to lift her. I saw no references in the manual for lifting points or how to get a wheel off the ground. I want to lift her to check the tires for more screws but I have no jack low enough. Anyone tried to lift their car? I am thinking a air bag lift unless someone points me to a low jack suggestion and/or lifting points which just may lead me back to not having a low profile jack.

Still enjoying the ride, I read the last couple of threads. Mine had 1300k miles on her when purchased and the service manager never drove it until I picked it up. Radio/heat/AC is adequate its not a million dollar exotic just something I wanted and waited for. Wife just needs to put radio back to radio mode since I do not have a "Smart Phone" and she does not have the courage to back it into the garage.

Joe

_______
Joe, 85 and 79 Spiders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 08:58 PM

Check out 4Cforums.com, lots written about this, there. Do a search. Fran
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 01:33 AM

I bought this jack for my 4C,I have not used it yet, but it is well built.

http://www.calcarcover.com/product/2..._Aluminum_Jack

Good luck
4Canada likes this.

1992 Spider Veloce (sold)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VabeneGTV View Post
Check out 4Cforums.com, lots written about this, there. Do a search. Fran
This.

Here's one thread for you:

Lifting the 4C - Alfa Romeo 4C Forums

Sorry to divert you from this board, but this really answers your question better than it will likely be here.

Glad the tire didn't go flat on you.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Now I am confused I cannot get an answer here so I have to log on to different site which does not let me view anything unless I have 10 or more posts. Someone please explain and ..if the answer is in my owners manual please let me know where.

As I see it the linked it the 4c forum site is not the same as this one, looks the same with the ADs popping up and the login in the same spot. Again can someone explain? I did not find any information to jack points in several of the threads.

Joe

_______
Joe, 85 and 79 Spiders
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 12:58 AM

Garage
Lifting the Alfa 4C

look that, Im not then takin any responsibility if thats correct or not...be careful

-Antti: --ex Alfas:155 2.0 8V '92,155 2.0 16V '96,156 V6 '98,156 V6 '02
http://carpix.1g.fi/kuvat/carpix/
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 04:26 AM

Lifting the 4C

This should help, it's in the owners manual. It's available downloadable for your phone using a google search.

Lifting points.

This should help when you go to put your tire back on.

1992 Spider Veloce (sold)

Last edited by kevinl; 12-30-2016 at 04:43 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 07:18 AM

Sorry, joeonship, didn't realize the settings over there would interfere with your browsing.

As kevinl's owner's manual excerpt shows, the lift points are well aft (owing to the engine location), and well under the car.
You have just about 4-1/2" of clearance from floor to these locations (slightly more with the non-race suspension). Post #10 on the link I shared also shows this, but perhaps you need to be a member to view that. Again, I apologize (and I'm a moderator over there - I should probably have known that but I didn't).

The front lift points are simply reinforced sections of the carbon tub. They are identified by a small CF square (mine has red paint on it, but that could be a dealer thing). The aft ones are the connection between the rear sub-frame and the bottom of the tub - small exposed aluminum brackets exposed from the belly pan of the car. You'll ideally have these on a hockey puck instead of directly on a metal jacking surface.

The most popular lift from the link I showed you is the Ranger Quickjack 3500 or 5000 if you want higherr capacity for other vehicles.
From what others say over there, it fits with car on the floor.

I have an EZ Carlift, which I love. But you do need to run the car onto a small ramp or planks in order to slide it under the 4C. This is also a somewhat more expensive tool than the Ranger and needs different cross-members depending on the size of car you are working on, but it is American designed and made, and I do like it for a number of cars.

Both devices lift the entire car. There are suggestions not to lift one corner only. Not sure what harm it would do, and I know people who have done so. With the stiffness of the chassis, and the proximity of the lift points to the centre of the car, I can see you actually raising two or almost three wheels in trying to lift only one. There are some low-profile floor jacks which are low and long enough to fit. Most don't. And Sector111 makes an adapter which allows you to use one of these to access both rear lift locations at once (so you raise the back two wheels together). This is great for tires and brakes. Sucks for doing exhaust work because the apparatus is right in your way.

Hope this helps, and makes up for the bum steer I gave you before.

Last edited by 4Canada; 12-30-2016 at 07:20 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the more detailed info. I looked at my pictures when it was on my lift(drive on style). I see some blocks there and will have to get a low profile jack. My 79 is currently on the lift for brake caliper rebuild.
I will also look into the other forum as well.

Joe
Attached Images

_______
Joe, 85 and 79 Spiders

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode