4C Radio & Heating/AC - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Gubi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

4C Radio & Heating/AC

Very seriously considering a new 4C after the 1st of the year. Just wondering what everyone thinks of the radio and the heating/cooling system?

Is that radio good? Can you hear it over the engine noise? Is the engine noise really that bad?

What about the heating/cooling? It gets cold in the winter and warm in the summer here in Indiana and that's a consideration.

r/Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 08:09 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

The fact that you're asking those questions suggests that the 4C is not the car for you. In fact, you may want to reconsider Alfa ownership in general
rsims and Max Pershyn like this.

Tom

1991 Spider
1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 08:07 AM

Gubi has a valid point. Not an insult, just an observation.

The 4C is a street legal race car. The radio is junk. Believe me, I didn't buy this car for the radio. The exhaust note IS the radio.

The heater/AC is adequate. It's not a climate control system found in modern cars. It's an on/off switch like the old cars from the 60's. It's too hot, it's too cold, medium isn't right either. Kind of a Goldilocks car.

But, she's still my daily driver. Two years and 24,000 miles now. We've taken her on several long road trips. Last one was 4,000 miles in three weeks.

Is she a car for everyone? No! For most, she's a weekend toy. For some, a work of art to hang on the wall and admire but never drive. I'm one of the few that drive her daily.

The 4C is a purist's sport coupe. It's not a GT car like the Porsche's and BMW's. She's a though-back using modern/futuristic technology.

RaceráZ
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 09:02 AM

"Ask the man who owns one!"
Big difference is Racer lives in SoCal near the beach....
Indiana has several months of difficult weather that MAY make the 4C not so enjoyable.
Then again, perhaps his DD is a Lotus Super 7, so the 4C would be a major step up in comfort ! ;^)

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 09:20 AM

I have a completely different opinion. The heat and a/c work fine,I live in Massachusetts and I have to say the heater only needs to be at 12 o'clock position and it's toasty on a cold day, at full hot, watch out. The same with cooling, keeps the car cold on the most humid day. This is not your daddy's Alfa! I find no problem with the Alpine stereo, It works ok for me. Best to go to the dealership and try it out!

1992 Spider Veloce (sold)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 09:22 AM

But do you daily drive your 4C year round ?

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 09:43 AM

4C Radio & Heating/AC

I don't drive much to begin with, but I will use it all year round. It has been hot enough (90's & humid) and cold enough (5f) so far for me to say I am satisfied with the heat and a/c. The controls are manually controlled, but I like simple. I am not an audiophile, so the stereo works for me. Even at 5 degrees, the car starts right up.

Last edited by kevinl; 12-27-2016 at 09:46 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 11:45 AM

It has a radio?

Truthfully these are not considerations for buying a 4C. Try one and you'll get a feel for the radio and perhaps the HVAC. But I'll wager that you'll be frustrated by the difficulty getting in and out, the wide doors, the upright driving position, the lack of rearward visibility, the minuscule storage space in the boot and non-existant storage in the cabin, the loud noises transmitted by the CF tub, the louder noises of the exhaust, or the firm ride before you even think to check the volume or quality of the sound system.

Yes, I own one. And love it. But I also understand it. The shortcomings listed above and even more recounted by the automotive press are all positives for me, and that's why I was on the list to get a 4C long before they arrived in N. America even to look at (much less to drive).

The answer to your question is that the radio (mine has the Parrot Asteroid Classic - newer ones have a similarly useless Alpine head unit, but both use the same speakers and layout) is fine when you are stuck in traffic or on slow cit streets. 2017's if you can get one have the option of an additional speaker in the firewall between the seats. Once you get above 2,500 RPM, it starts fading into the exhaust. If it is raining hard, you won't likely hear it either. The cooling works very well, and the heater is scorching hot for my 3-season use in Southern Ontario, Canada. Don't forget, this is a very small cabin. It doesn't take much to heat up such a tiny volume of air.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

I test drove one today. The heat/AC seem fine, a lot of air blows out of there. The radio seemed ok but, as you say, going 60 mph down the road might cause one to have to turn it up a lot.

My overall impression of my 4C experience today? Three words sum it up........wow Wow WOW!

r/Mike
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibler View Post
I test drove one today. The heat/AC seem fine, a lot of air blows out of there. The radio seemed ok but, as you say, going 60 mph down the road might cause one to have to turn it up a lot.

My overall impression of my 4C experience today? Three words sum it up........wow Wow WOW!

r/Mike

Since you are beyond the heat, a/c and stereo test, what did you like best about the car?

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibler View Post

r/Mike
Sweet!

For any car, the radio and speakers are an easy fix and should never be a consideration when making a decision.

It gets plenty hot out here in the SoCal deserts. 120f is not an unusual summer. The AC is adequate.

Granted, it doesn't get cold here, not like it does in Buffalo. There is plenty of heat. It's a small uninsulated cabin with heat sources on all four sides. Engine in the rear, radiator in the front, and radiator lines in each rocker. Even on a cool night I don't need to use the heater. The heater lines run in the center console operated by a separate electronic pump.

But, I seldom have the windows up. I almost never have the Parrot on. I may or may not have the heat/AC on. Blasting through the canyons listening to the intake, exhaust & waste gate echo off the canyon walls is out of this world.

She's a driver's car. Very focused. Even at reasonable speeds, she so much fun. And so easy to drive.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinl View Post
Since you are beyond the heat, a/c and stereo test, what did you like best about the car?
The way it rode, the way it handled, the looks. Awesome looking car, definitely more of a head turner than a Porsche or even a Lotus.

In the passenger seat my knees were up against the dash. I am 6'2", 250. In the drivers seat I had plenty of room, even enough to sort of slouch down and stretch out. I even had to pull the seat up when I got it.

One bad thing - the people at this Fiat dealership that are selling the AR 4C said they didn't know if they were going to continue to be a AR dealer in the long run. Something about they were promised various cars by AR and the only one they had got was the 4C. I asked if its possible that two years down the road, if I need warranty work, that I might have to find another dealership and they said yes. They also said their mechanic was trained/certified by AR and he wasn't going anywhere and that they might still be able to do warranty work. Only time will tell on this.

r/Mike

p.s. I live in SW Indiana

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode