Did a dyno run today - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Did a dyno run today

Was surprised to see the WHP so close to the stated BHP

Anfanuts likes this.

Last edited by DanB; 08-31-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Was surprised to see the WHP so close to the stated BHP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t71LI...layer_embedded
Is she totally stock? That seems to verify that Alfa low balled the HP ratings on these, kind of like what BMW continually does. Have read other reports that real HP is more like 255-260.

87 Maserati Biturbo Spider since new, 13 Abarth 500
16 Alfa Romeo 4C Rosso Competizione Coupe
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 06:56 PM
Supporting Vendor

They do tend to dyno high compared to Alfa's published numbers, which is a good thing.
DanB likes this.

Centerline International - Alfa Romeo Parts & Accessories

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
750-ALFA

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rags747 View Post
Is she totally stock? That seems to verify that Alfa low balled the HP ratings on these, kind of like what BMW continually does. Have read other reports that real HP is more like 255-260.
100% as it came from the factory, but it does have the "sport tuned exhaust" for whatever that is worth. I think all that really does is make it louder
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rags747 View Post
100% as it came from the factory, but it does have the "sport tuned exhaust" for whatever that is worth. I think all that really does is make it louder
The sports tuned exhaust has no muffler. It's also known as the racing exhaust. The standard exhaust has a muffler. If there is a performance difference, AR isn't talking. Having heard the two side by side, I much prefer the sound of my muffler-less exhaust.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah, I doubt a free flow muffler design would hurt the performance any, but it certainly sounds great without mufflers. The little 500 Abarth doesn't have mufflers either, and it also sounds fantastic.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 07:29 PM
Supporting Vendor

The factory exhaust (both the standard and AR Racing exhaust) is fairly small diameter (48mm OD from memory).

There are definite power gains to be had from going to a larger diameter cat-back exhaust. This doesn't really make it louder per se, but rather deeper sounding.

Centerline International - Alfa Romeo Parts & Accessories

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
750-ALFA
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
If you're modifying things then might as well go cat-less. A single exhaust pipe would probably be more efficient as well, but it wouldn't sound or look as good.

The part of the stock exhaust that I think is odd is the flex pipe. The engine does move around quite a bit back there, tho.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 07:42 AM

I realize that as forum members and 4C owners, we all live in different parts of the world where we all have different rules and regulations to live with. Here, where I live, removing the catalytic converter is illegal. Sure, we could put back on every two years when we have a mandatory smog check. Unless the car is a dedicated track car and gets removed from the system, it's just not worth it.

A better path would be to install a high flow converter. From the new cat, a large bore single and straight pipe would be ideal. Magnaflow builds the cat-back, Centerline is the only distributor. Mine cost about $1000 USD, but I stayed with the stock cat. The kit includes new grills and the flex pipe. I haven't installed it yet, the few that have says it's got a nice sound and the car feels faster.

I think Madness sells a exhaust of the same type.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
oh yeah, removing the cat is illegal here as well. I'm a scofflaw, so IDGAF...
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh! You're in CO right? There's certain counties in CO that don't do emission checks... I had my Bronco registered in Park county the entire time I lived up there because when the smog pump on it broke I just removed all that junk. If you want, I'll let you use my Park Co. address to register your cars. For a very small fee of course

Last edited by DanB; 09-08-2016 at 04:39 PM.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 06:43 AM

Racer Z is in LA.

Interesting data.
Now go slap a EuroCompulsion Phase 2 tuned ECU and intake on her, and try again!

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I like the EuroCompulsion intake, but I'm not really a fan of generic tunes. I'll have it custom tuned on the dyno when I get around to it.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 09:32 PM
Duk

Garage
You guys need to look closer..................
It says on the screen "233hp at engine".

Most dyno's these days do drivetrain loss calculations. The trouble is, most people are still saying "at the wheel" and implying that there is more power at the engine.

Slowly Progressing Vortech Supercharged 1990 Alfa Romeo 75 Potenziata. Out of Action Twin-Charged 1988 AW11 MR2. Current Daily Driver, The Glorified Taxi 2006 BF FPV F6 Typhoon.

Last edited by Duk; 09-14-2016 at 09:51 PM.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 02:05 AM

Garage
No it doesn't, keep reading and you'll see that it says "at engine rpm 575 (obscured)" so it's telling you what engine speed the maximum power was at not that the power figure is at the flywheel.

It may be that the dyno has done a calculation for transmission losses but that information isn't shown on the video so we can't conclude either way from the evidence here.

We're gonna make you an Alfa you can't refuse.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode