Did a dyno run today - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 10:40 PM

Nobody will fault you for buying a 308. We've all got decisions to make.

Tech Authority. My 4C manual on CD cost me $160.00 including tax and shipping. Seems good. I can't find any electrical schematic though.

But, for all the cars I always thought I wanted, now that I have a 4C, "What was I thinking when I wanted that car?"

The 4C will always be a rare car. They just won't make very many. I bet 2017 will be the last year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 08:49 AM

Garage
There's a very early fiberglass 308 on Bring a Trailer. Way before the shape was ruined by bumpers and plastic trim.

Mike
1967 1600 Spider
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 11:16 AM

How high is the maintenance cost of the 4C? It seems to be reasonable, am I wrong?

Now I'm toying the idea of getting something, like an E90 M3 or a 4C. The price for the 4C is high but I think I the maintenance would be reasonable and depreciation low. I won't lose more than 20% in 5 years, which is pretty good IMO. I think the M3 would lose 50% of it's value within 5 years and having 14 mpg fuel consumption just adds salt to the wound.

1996 155 V6, Squadra Tuning, RJR cams

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75evo View Post
How high is the maintenance cost of the 4C? It seems to be reasonable, am I wrong?

Now I'm toying the idea of getting something, like an E90 M3 or a 4C.
Those are two very different cars. I would decide what I wanted independent from the operating costs. If you get the car you really want, you'll figure out how to make it work.

Maintenance costs don't seem too bad. $40-ish oil filter and 6 quarts of 5w-40. That's an expensive oil filter, but I bet Wix will have a $10 one here in the next year or two. The only thing that is different from a more pedestrian vehicle is the "check vehicle fasteners" service. Timing belt at 60k (very Italian...). I haven't priced that yet, but I think the block is shared with a Lancia overseas so I'm hoping those parts don't cost too much. Other than that; it's a modern car. Won't give you much trouble.

As with all low production cars the thing that is going to bite you in the long run is all the non mechanical parts.
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75evo View Post

Now I'm toying the idea of getting something, like an E90 M3 or a 4C. The price for the 4C is high but I think I the maintenance would be reasonable and depreciation low. I won't lose more than 20% in 5 years, which is pretty good IMO. I think the M3 would lose 50% of it's value within 5 years and having 14 mpg fuel consumption just adds salt to the wound.
So far, so good. I've owned my 4C just shy of two years now and put 22,000 miles on her, as a daily driver.

I've had the oil changed three times, major service once, and tires once.

Oil change is about $200.00 at the dealer. The under-body panels needs to come off. Interval is 8,000 to 12,000 miles depending on driving habits.

Major service is once a year or 12,000 miles. About $800.00 including oil. This is primarily a nut & bolt tightening of the entire car. Absolutely necessary on this type of construction.

Tires price and mileage is dependent on user choices and driving habits. My set cost me about $1000.00 including mounting and balancing. I did get 20,000 out of the stock tires.

Fuel consumption is driver habit, mostly. I'm getting about 23 mpg as a DD. On the highway I've gotten as high as 35 mpg. With effort, I could get better, but that wouldn't be much fun and I didn't buy a Prius.

As mentioned, comparing the 4C to a BMW isn't a fair comparison. The two cars are completely different. A Lotus or Ferrari would be a better comparison. Don't know the maintenance costs of a Lotus, but I can't afford to drive a Ferrari, even if I got it for free.

The 4C certainly isn't a car for everyone. The car is all about the driving experience. It's about emotion. It's not a GT, it's a purist's sport coupe. It's like driving a street legal race car. You love it, or you hate it. She's not a practical car. For some, a lot of compromising. For me, I plan on driving her everyday until I die.
sbadaro and Max Pershyn like this.
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 09:40 AM

On the original dyno topic: Whenever I've had a car dynoed and they did drivetrain losses, I got two separate graphs, they were never combined. Drivetrain loss, like hp and torque are rpm dependent, so you get two plots. Hp falls off above the peak (unless the peak is at redline/cutoff ) while losses just keep climbing with rpm. Some dynos are optimistic, but pretty sure the OP wass getting rwhp.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode