4C coupe engine without engine conver - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 08:15 PM

Isn't that why we keep the hood closed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfar7 View Post
Covering that abomination was a great idea!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

It is quite unbelievable as to all the negative comments about the Alfa 4C engine without the engine cover. There have only been about 10 - 13 comments about my original post and I must say, I have not been particularly impressed with the candor or specifics as to why the engine is so unattractive. It is, you know, only an engine. Someone said that the engine cover was for noise dampening. Pure rubbish, if you think an 1/8th inch of plastic will dampen noise. So, my final comment about this thread as well as the forum is not very flattering. Pathetic is a very good word to describe my experience with the forum.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 10:12 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rodebaugh View Post
It is quite unbelievable as to all the negative comments about the Alfa 4C engine without the engine cover. There have only been about 10 - 13 comments about my original post and I must say, I have not been particularly impressed with the candor or specifics as to why the engine is so unattractive. It is, you know, only an engine. Someone said that the engine cover was for noise dampening. Pure rubbish, if you think an 1/8th inch of plastic will dampen noise. So, my final comment about this thread as well as the forum is not very flattering. Pathetic is a very good word to describe my experience with the forum.
My understanding is the plastic covers are for noise pollution reasons* and also to protect somebody from the coils. We must remember they are there for a reason, no manufacturer puts parts in a car unless they need to be there.

And sorry Mark, we deviated from your car to how ugly engines are now in general. If you go to any Alfa club meet, you will find most bonnets up as we don't think of our cars heart as "only an engine".

The most important thing is you like your car minus the engine cover. Enjoy
Pete
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/4882/what-is-the-purpose-of-plastic-engine-covers
I have a VW Jetta 1.8T. The factory service manual produced by Bentley (for Volkswagen) specifically calls this component the upper sound absorber panel. To an extent, these are eye candy, but their primary function is for sound dampening.

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PSk; 12-03-2016 at 10:21 PM.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 03:52 AM

4C coupe engine without engine conver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rodebaugh View Post

Mark,

I prefer my 4c with the engine cover on. It would be nice if there was a partial cover, except the engine is exposed to water from engine air vents. The cover does serve many purposes.

Now my previous 92 Spider engine, designed so the hood is the cover.

1992 Spider Veloce (sold)

Last edited by kevinl; 12-04-2016 at 04:00 AM.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 06:15 AM

Don't take it personal Mark, people are just being honest as to their opinion and not knocking your 4C. I for one think they are absolutely gorgeous cars and came very close to buying one for myself but opted for an old 308 instead. Due to the technical aspects of getting 240 hp out of a 1750 cc engine and stuffing it amidships it is not easy to make it look pretty. Plus many of us old fuddy-duddies are just used to the old school stuff and how it looked which was clean and simple. But it didn't have the power you've got, nor the incredible lightness, nor the handling. So cheer up, most of us are actually envious

Paul - 1972 Spider - (2)1991 164S's - 1983 308 - 2001 Discovery - 1997 F350
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 09:18 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

I suspect that a lot of all that plumbing is for the required and complicated pollution control systems which the earlier cars did not have. None of that is worth looking at. It's a shame that the basic engine is hidden beneath that stuff. An artfully styled engine was something Alfa was noted for in years past. Now they look more like the more common makes.

Even when I lift the hood of my older 164LS, people still go "oooh", the engine bay being clean and Armoralled, the polished stainless runners gleaming, and a light and subtle embellishment of paint on the engine cam covers. Maybe not the best of the Alfa engines for appearances but still nice.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 12-04-2016 at 10:58 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode