Alfa Romeo Forums banner

164 24v Q

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  pavanbabut 
#1 ·
I received a email today from a group of 24v Q owners in England. According to a govt. source there are less than 100 of these cars still registered over there. :eek:

That plus the 100+ or so here in the USA, means that these Q car are getting fewer by the year. Just thought I would pass along what I learned today.

#2 ·
Chritopher, what worry's me also is that the 12v Qv/S is also going down hard.
I never realised that there where so many Q's sold in the UK.
In the Netherlands where I live are only 3 Q's from what I know of still on the road.

They indeed become rare quick. :(

#3 · (Edited)
Chris- I think that it would be very optimistic to even think there are 20 Q's in the US that are registered and in driving condition. Alfa ROmeo only imported 35 cars total in 94 and maybe 65 cars in 95. They are already on the endangered species list and a very rare sight.

#5 ·
Chris- I think that it would be very optimistic to even think there are 20 Q's in the US that are registered and in driving condition. Alfa ROmeo only imported 35 cars total in 94 and maybe 65 cars in 95. They are already on teh endangered species list and a very rare sight.
I agree. I know of 1-2 here in AZ that never come on this site. I think they are around hiding. I have only seen a few Q's dismantled here with my own eyes. So solid numbers on the departed. Call APE and see how many they have parted, those cannibals!

#4 ·
Any 164 seen on the highway or any Alfa Romeo for that matter is getting to be a rare sight!

#6 ·
Jason, to bad you don't have those serial numbers on the ones that have gone by the way side. yes, the Q's are getting more rare, hence the value should start to swing around the other way.

#8 ·
The reality seems to be that a car has to be 20+ years old before the collector interest kicks in. At least NADA does not list it as a classic until that point. Take a look at the Alfa Spider. Per NADA, a 1992 Veloce with 100k miles has a clean retail value of $6725. A 1991 is $6225. A 1990 has an average retail value of $9500. A 1989 is $9400. Compare that to Alfa's sedans, the 164 and the Milano. A 1992 is $3700. A 1991 is $3400. A 1989 is $7875. A 1988 is $7675. I expect to see the "book value" jump dramatically over the next couple years as these cars turn 20 years old.

#9 · (Edited)
I had a strange occurrence happen a week or so ago. Pulled into my usual gas station to fill up with my bright red 91S and lo and behold, another bright red 164 pulled into the opposite side of the pump. I could hardly believe my eyes. Talked with the fellow, a young Asian going to the U I guess, but he had little experience with Alfas, and didn't know anything about the Alfa web sites. He was just driving through the area, and decided to gas up. Didn't really want to talk about Alfas, though, pity. I've seen this before, the Asian owners seem to go their own way, not with the usual enthusiasm. This is certainly not meant to be a knock on Asians in general, as I have many fine Asian friends.

#10 ·
I had a strange occurrence happen a week or so ago. Pulled into my usual gas station to fill up with my bright red 91S and lo and behold, another bright red 164 pulled into the opposite side of the pump. I could hardly believe my eyes. Talked with the fellow, a young Asian going to the U I guess, but he had little experience with Alfas, and didn't know anything about the Alfa web sites. He was just driving through the area, and decided to gas up. Didn't really want to talk about Alfas, though, pity. I've seen this before, the Asian owners seem to go their own way, not with the usual enthusiasm.
I came across such type couple of times. They usually don't care for the car they are driving, but all they see is a body with 4 wheels, an engine and can take you from A to B, that's it. Never understood how such cars get into their hands in the first place :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.