Alfa Romeo Forums banner

FACK! Its Cold!!!

40K views 190 replies 53 participants last post by  kredden 
#1 ·
The second week of March and its snowing and in the single digits.
A little message for Mother Nature and Old Man Winter:

Attachments

See less See more
#151 ·
To be honest, I did hesitate a bit before posting thinking I might jinx it, but I thought the FACK thread should be reanimated at least once this year. Anyway my wife and did have the hammocks out last weekend. :D

#157 ·
Hey guys can we change this thread from FACK it is Cold to FACK it Bleedin Hot. Today it hit 39 C (not sure what that is in Faranhite), tomorrow it is supposed to be 37. Needless to say beads of perspiration are running but thankfully there is plenty of cold beer in the fridge !!!:D

Oh and BTW we call thongs those rubber things you wear on your feet in summer, rather than one of those bum fluff things. I believe in NZ what we call thongs are known as Jandels. Go figure.

#158 ·
39 C is hot here, too, Dave. But, it was just below 0C here in Northern Alabama this morning.
Easy conversion C to F:
Minus 10% of the 39C = 35, then double the result = 70, plus 32 = 102 F
F to C:
F minus 32 = 70, half that is 35, add 10% = 39
Boom, done.
You're always with in a degree =/- with the rounding. Close enough, usually.

#159 ·
Temperature scale is another one of the things that the angry and crazed French revolutionaries screwed up on.

The units are too big. Like having to say "Its 1.5 degrees out there" instead of "33".

They still used the constants of the freezing and boiling points of water, but could not handle the 212 degrees from one to the other.

Should have made it 200, which still would have fit their system.

Right now it is 3.5 outside, or 38 --which is easier to say?

And the old sayings that quickly carried the message would still prevail.

"Hot" equals 100. It's "freezing" would be 30, and the other conventions would hold as well:

"It's ten below" ........"It's twenty below", or as I experienced in Winnipeg--"It's forty-nine below:eek:!"

:cool::cool:

#160 ·
Hey Bob, it's 180 degrees between freezing and boiling water, not 212.

I guess that's in honor of a 180 degree phase change between the solid and the gas phases of water.

The 32 degree shift comes from the difference between freezing for salt water (brine) at 0 degrees F and the freezing temperture for pure H2O which is 32 degrees warmer.

Don't blame me, it's Professor Rankine's fault.

It got up to 63 F here today, and the pear trees are in full bloom.

#162 ·
Agreed. I only deal in Celsius when I have to...Which is not today.
So, as long as we can keep the inlet air temperture above about 760 degrees Rankine we can stay in excess of Mach 3.5. And with 22 lbm superheated steam per second through the ejector, we have all we need to simulate ramjet takeover at 50,000 ft. Even in the winter. Pretty cool, huh?

#166 ·
Warm winter

It has been an unusally warm winter here in northern New England. The ski areas at higher elevations have received snow, but those of us near sea level have had bare ground most of the time. Only had my driveway plowed twice.

Can only remember one day since December 1 driving in to work when it was below zero F.

Later this week we are supposed to be in the fifties, which is Spider driving temperature around here! Hopefully can bring the Spider out of winter storage in late March?

John

#168 ·
Mild winter here as well--but cool enough that the mountains have lots of snow.

Even a little of that stuff in town the other day--rare this time of year, but any dry or relatively dry day I've been driving my Sprint.

Out of a full restoration in December and I want to work it hard.

The Spring Thaw Tour is held each end of April and the three-day event clocks 1200 kms over some interesting roads.

Got to have it ready:D:D:D

#169 ·
81 degrees in New England in March!

Took the '81 out for a top-down ride to The Clam Box in Ipswich for lunch. Fisherman's platter was outstanding, as was the drive.

What a beautiful May day in March. Ahh, life!

#170 ·
Last Sunday morning took another hard run. First over some serious undulations and the Sprint suspension works well.:D

The other route was up the coast with some windy sections into rain and at the higher levels (700 feet above sea level) some snow mixed with the rain. Unusual for this time of year.

No rain came in and the wipers worked reasonably well. Need a two-speed switch. Vred Classic tires are good in the wet.:eek:

#172 ·
WOW!! That's no fun. I escaped and only got a 1/2 foot. But it COLD!!! 10 below wind chill.

#173 ·
The average at my place looks to be about 26", hard to tell because the wind is gusting so hard, over 36" in some spots. Too tall for the snow blower to work effectively so I just spent two hours out there and have only been able to clear a 20' x 20' patch of the driveway (about 1/4 of the driveway), the rest is going to suck!

Kevin

#174 ·
I'm exactly where you are now, about 20'X20' and 75% to go. I don't even have a snow blower, so it's just aging out-of-shape desk jockey with a beat up shovel. Half hour out, half hour rest, repeat until exhausted.

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.