Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Gear Reduction Starter for 1972 GTV 2000

4K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Hans-Peter 
#1 ·
Does anyone have recommendations and feedback based on their experience? Also any particular brand of starter and vendor?

Thanks

#4 ·
Gear reduction starter

I highly recommend this. I got mine from Andy Kress at Performatek - Home and installed on my '76 Spider. Much faster cranking, less current draw, lighter weight, and sounds just like my '91 Spider that came with a gear drive starter from the factory. Also, much easier to install - especially that you don't need the supplemental front brace that attaches to the engine mount (this may be for the high torque starters used in the later cars. Added to keep the torque from breaking the bell housing but a pain to install).

#7 ·
I'm a daily driver Spider 2 liter, I converted to the BOSCH gear reduction starter four years ago, the second replacement in the last four years came from BOSCH with a fullsize starter and a sticker proclaiming it to be a suitable replacement.
It seems to me the gear reduction starter doesn't last as long as the fullsize, waste of money unless weight critical for racing.

#9 · (Edited)
I converted to the BOSCH gear reduction starter - doesn't last as long as the fullsize, waste of money unless weight critical for racing.
101/105guy said:
I have the Performatek. Used it for a for a few years now with no problems! NOT noisy ! These are a Japanese unit
The difference seems to be German vs. Japanese; not gear reduction vs. non-gear (at least from a sample of two).

Ranz said:
comment in a UK mag (car was a Jag) to the effect: "Works great, but makes a god-awful noise".
Would you expect anything electrical to work smoothly on a Jaguar?

Reactions: Ranz
#8 ·
I have the Performatek starter on my GTV as it has a high compression 1750 motor and the standard one was too weak....

Used it for a for a few years now with no problems! NOT noisy !

These are a Japanese unit with an Alfa adaptor, so very dependable.

#10 ·
I have had a Bosch gear reduction starter on my 79 Spider for more than 10 years and it has been trouble free. I would not consider going back to the old type which requires a support bracket to avoid cracking the bellhousing.

#16 · (Edited)
For my 1974 GTV I fitted a lightweight high-torque starter motor as originally fitted to Series 4 Spiders. I purchased this from Classic Alfa.

http://classicalfa.com/products/EL013-LIGHTWEIGHT-STARTER-MOTOR-%2d-3-BOLT-MOUNT-%2d-9-TOOTH.html

It's great and I have had no problems with it even starting with high octane 98 RON fuel on a cold morning. It starts pretty much first time every time. Although on cold mornings a good choke helps.

I don't recommend an aftermarket starter for the reasons I experienced in this thread below. I used one which did not come with a shoulder bolt and ended up damaging my ring gear. You can see the drama here: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-...r-motor-spins-but-does-not-engage-engine.html

#17 ·
Nobody is mentioning the number of teeth in the flywheel. I converted to a late spider starter years ago on my 74 GTV and at the time the knowledge was that the number of the teeth in the flywheel was very important. I can no longer remember the details but my starter came from an 86 spider and I also changed flywheels to one of the same era. The flywheels come in 130 and 131 and I don't remember which one is from which era. I do remember that the number changed in the late 70s or early 80s and then changed back in the 90s.

Now for the aftermarket ones, do they work on any flywheel? The Classic Alfa one seems to work on any year. Could the horrible noise that is being reported have to do with that? What would happen if they are not matched? Or maybe that was a false recommendation?

#18 ·
I Have Two Spare Starters That I Fortunately Wrote Down Fitment Information Some Time Ago (I certainly don't recall it now!)

1) Bosch #0 001 108 024 S3 Spider (1986 - 1989), Used With 131 Tooth Ring Gear

2) Bosch #0 001 108 081 S4 Spider (1990 - 1994), Used With 130 Tooth Ring Gear

They Look Identical To Each Other (and much smaller & lighter then the earlier 2L Starters)

I Also Have The "024" Starter In My 2L JrZ With 131 Tooth Ring Gear And It Works Fine

I'm Currently Putting Together A 2L Motor With A 130 Tooth Ring Gear And I Plan To Use The "081" Starter

The Various Online Vendors Don't Seem To Differentiate Between These Two Starter Numbers So Maybe It Doesn't Matter?

-John

#19 ·
The 130 and 131 tooth starters have very slight mounting differences , they mount up fine but are not interchangeable, ie the 131 starter will mount up to the 130 ring gear but it sits a mm or so further out so it will take the teeth off your ring gear , so yes it does matter !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.