Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Engine Management Warning Light

8K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  ghnl 
#1 ·
2005 Spider (916) 3.2. Driving fairly gently today the yellow warning light with the 'engine' depicted on it came on. No loss of power or other drama. Drove it home (only 3 miles) and let it consider, for a couple of hours, the wisdom of behaving in such a mean way. Started engine up again and light was still on.

Manual tells me to take the beast to an Alfa dealer which, judging by other people's experience, sounds of doubtful value and very expensive.

Any help much appreciated

#2 ·
I confess to knowing nothing about 'modern' Alfas. Most of us here own 66-94 Spiders - the "classic" ones...

Anyway, lack of knowledge needen't stop us from replying! A 'check engine' light can mean anything from quite benign to horrible. All it really means is that the car's computer is either getting a reading out of range or a sensor isn't sensing. A dealer or experienced mechanic will connect a diagnostic reader and your car's computer will tell them what is troubling it. Once properly repaired the check engine light must be reset.

Can't really comment on Alfa dealers as we ain't had any for many years.

#3 ·
Where do you live? If not in the U.S., go to Alfaromeo.com and select your country, you should be able to find a dealer through there. If in the U.S. then I would ask a maserati dealership maybe? Call around, but I'm guessing the key you need to read your codes is pretty hard to come by... especially if you need an adapter as well. Reina here in Wisconsin might have a scan tool for that car... I know they own a newer gen. spider... It depends where you are!

#5 ·
OK I have hooked it up and have these 2 error codes:

PO 0220 - Pedal Position Sensor Circuit. Which the computer tells me is Throttle position (TP) sensor B/accelerator pedal problem (APP) switch B - contact malfunction.

PO 1221 - Pedal Position Sensor1 Circuit.

Can anyone advise if they have had the same problem - and possible remedy. No symptoms on the car, just that every time I reset it is OK for about 2 trips - then the Engine Management Light fails to go off after startup.

#6 ·
You'll likely find some information relevant to your car in this subsection and prolly this subsection also where they deal with stuff that most of us in this section don't have the first clue about. (as in pretty much everything you're asking)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.