Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Alfa's In Trans Am

426K views 1K replies 112 participants last post by  kengta 
#1 · (Edited)
There are a lot of people here who have pictures of Alfa's racing in the Trans Am series. Let's post all the pictures we can find here on this thread. Here are just a few of what I have. I need to scan more.

Charlie Thieriot at unknown track 1971

Charlie Thieriot Laguna Seca pits 1971 (Host Kwech coming out of last corner)

Charlie Thieriot Laguna Seca paddock 1971 (BB member Rick Clemente with rain coat and gloves)

#470 ·
Tom,

The AUSCA Spider and a few trophies will be at the Convention.

Attachments

#473 ·
I think it only ran in E production. The only reason I brought it up was
that I saw it sitting in front of the Knauz Trans Am Trophy case. It also
was built up by AUSCA with a large amount of Trans Am GTA parts.

Cant wait to see the AUSCA Duetto's and AUSCA GTA's sitting next to each other at the convention(with trophys)!!

best,

Tom Tanner/SD

#475 ·
March 25, 1966

If we combine the pics from posts 13,364 and 365 together with these, we get a progression of the race and Jochen Rindt's winning performance. All the more remarkable when one examines the damage that #36 suffered from the rollover earlier that week.
That car was a wreck! :eek: Little wonder that ALFA disposed of these GTA's after this victory; sold them off to those crazy;)enough to buy 'em.

Attachments

#482 ·
In a letter I have from Bob Cozza dated 1984 regarding GTA 752507, he states that a disastrous fire at BOBCOR a few years before (1984) destroyed the records, history, data, they may have had for her. He made no mention of Trophys but if there were any there they too were likely lost.

I also suspect that when the Newark, Alfa Romeo Inc. offices closed for the move to Florida much material was disposed.

Before they closed I was able to get the Autodelta build sheets for GTA 752507 from them along with a few other details in a letter. I suspect if a similar request was made today there would be nothing to offer. But someone should try.

FWIW

Ken

#480 ·
Keith
The same thought occured to me when viewing the AUSCA trophies.
Since ALFA financed the initial effort at Sebring it's likely the spoils followed the victors home. That is, if they bothered to pack them after abandoning the U.S. market.

#483 · (Edited)
1969 Bryar TA Program and Grid

Attached are 2 PDF's of the 1969 Bryar TA program high lights and the starting grid.

The lone Alfa driven by Gaston Andrey, GTA #25, AR*752507, finished 1st in class over Bert Everett's Porsche

Bert Everett, featured in the program, was on Porche in these years but went to Alfa GTA in 1970, buying #25 from Andrey, in time for the 1970 TA race at Mid-Ohio.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

#488 ·
John Norman still runs that car. It is really fast. He was classed with the Porsche 935s and Chevrons last year at the Wine Country Classics. He did an amazing job of holding off some of the big turboed 935s. He's also an amazing driver.

Will

#489 ·
Hmmm, can't seem to get a link to work. But, to accompany the shots of Horst Kwech after the Sebring race ("More Kwech Sebring photos") , here is the start:

Attachments

#493 ·
Note the ultra rare (I've only seen them in the comp catalog) Chassis Engineering three peice wheels on the Shankle car.