Alfa Romeo Forums banner

bonehead move...

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  roller 
#1 ·
i was strapping up some loose wires under the dash in anticipation of an
autocross, and touched a red live wire to the emergency flasher.
zapped a fuse, but also put the zap on my turn signals.
the right on works, but the left one kind of barely comes on, if at all.

do you think it's the blinker relay (not sure what it's official name is) in the dash? can those be obtained?

any wisdom welcome,

john

#2 ·
The factory flasher unit is outrageously expensive, well over $100 IIEC. However, it's easily replaced with a standard, off the shelf flasher unit you can get at any auto parts store for under $10. The only thing you have to do is make a small 'Y' adapter so you can plug two ground wires into the single ground spade connecter on the new flasher (the Alfa flasher had two ground leads, for no good reason).

Zip tie the new flasher unit to the steering column and you're done!

bs

#5 ·
Pardon my ignorance but does the US spec 1750 come with a hazzard light switch ?

#6 ·
thanks guys.

i'll recheck the ground wires. the left seems to be worse than the right for some reason.

yes, the u.s. spec 1750 came with emergency flashers, and they are wired somehow in series with the brake/signal lights. i couldn't get them to work the first time until someone reminded me that i had to connect up the emergency flashers to make everything else work.

john

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.