Today I put the big boy pants on and tackled the removal of the front suspension. I spent a week thinking about how I was going to safely tackle this task, and today managed to successfully remove both sides. This is just how I did this, it is not meant to be the definitive way of doing it.
As there is still a lot of tension in the spring at full droop, I needed a way to slowly lower the lower spring plate from the A-Arm in a controlled fashion. I decided to use a number of C-Clamps I had to clamp the plate to the A-Arm while I loosened the four bolts. I kept the nuts on as a safety measure in case one of the clamps slipped.
As I started to loosen the clamps, I swapped out the Alfa bolts for some longer ones I had in the garage and kept loosening.
And kept loosening...
At a gap of around 2" I needed to change out my longer bolts for much longer bolts
The back of the plate moved down more than 4" and the spring was still under compression. This just shows how much energy is still in the spring at fool droop, and how dangerous it could be to try and remove the suspension without taking the tension out of the spring first.
I then had to remove the rear bolts to keep opening up the gap as they were the longest I had
I then put a floor jack under the spring and slowly lowered the car down, just enough to take the pressure off the clamps. By this time, the spring had lost of its energy, and the car without engine was easily enough weight to start to compress it.
So after a full day in the garage, I now have the front suspension removed ready for tear down and rebuild. Quite a satisfying day!