Carburetor conversion kit for the 102 cast iron engine - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Carburetor conversion kit for the 102 cast iron engine

I just finished reading the fantastic book on 1900's, "Millenove" by Jurgen Dohren, one of our ABB members. In this book he shows an Abarth Carburetor conversion kit for the 102 cast iron engine. Has anyone ever seen this kit? I hope he is okay that I borrowed this photo...

Name:  Two Liter dual Abarth carbs.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  20.7 KB

Here is a shameless plug for a great read. (no commercial interest...but you can get a better price directly from Jurgen on the ABB)

MILLENOVE ALFA ROMEO 1900 BOOK ZAGATO TOURING VIGNALE BERTONE GHIA SZ | eBay

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 04:15 PM

Abarth manifold

Hi Mark,

I'm not sure if this is any help.

I have not see an Abarth manifold made for Solex single barrel down draught carbs, as the one in the ad from Jurgen's book. But very similar Abarth manifolds made for early 1900's are not uncommon.

The early 1900 "C" chassis cars had a single two barrel down draught Weber, a DCF or DCA (similar to the CI 2000 single carb manifold). The Abarth manifold gave racers the ability to have two Weber carbs, (also would take a pair of DCF/DCA or the other common DCN or DCL, common then, hard to get now). A number of 1900's retain this arrangement to this day, there are good photos of it in Jurgen's book. In 1954 Alfa introduce the dual down draught Solex (twin barrel 40 PII) arrangement on the "C" chassis cars and the TI (the factory competition sedan). This set up continued on the SS engines to the end of the 1900 series.

Of course a manifold that is made for a 1900 would fit on the CI 2000 but maybe the manifold that allow one to use twin DCOE's is better suited. I've seen these that were made in period as well as the one OKP sells. One of my cars is running one of these. On non-show cars the versatility of a DCOE is very convenient.

I agree, you don't have to be a 1900 owner to enjoy Jurgen's book. Any Alfa owner should consider it. I understand the only way to get the second edition of Millenove is directly from Jurgen. Tell a friend!

Dan Allen

Dan Allen
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsonite View Post
Of course a manifold that is made for a 1900 would fit on the CI 2000 but maybe the manifold that allow one to use twin DCOE's is better suited. I've seen these that were made in period as well as the one OKP sells. One of my cars is running one of these. On non-show cars the versatility of a DCOE is very convenient.

I agree, you don't have to be a 1900 owner to enjoy Jurgen's book. Any Alfa owner should consider it. I understand the only way to get the second edition of Millenove is directly from Jurgen. Tell a friend!

Dan Allen
Thanks Dan, I am running a dual set of 40DCOE's on my 'de-siamesed' Two-Liter manifold. The original Solex PHH-44's are on another manifold on a shelf in the garage for later.

The biggest problem that I found with Jurgen's new book, is now I really want a 1900 SS Touring 3 window coupe with a floor shift! You can buy a copy of 'Millenove' on eBay (link above) but it is a good bit more and you will not get it personalized by Jurgen.

Mark

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 08:48 PM

Two liter sedan has single down draft solex

I have a 1959 two liter sedan AR10202*00900*. It has a single down draft solex and an entirely different manifold than the spider with PHH44 solex which are side draft.

While it certainly would work if you only wanted the spider engine to run, I would not suggest the sedan intake manifold and carburetor for the two liter spider. (1) The carburetor itself sits higher and the hood could probably not be closed. (2) The spider is supposed to have 105 horsepower; the sedan with same motor internals
(although different valve clearances) only 90. Still, I must admit that since I have set my valve clearances at the suggested spider numbers I have been able to go 100 mph with six people in the sedan (in my foolish younger years -- even without seat belts -- Not proud of that). Incidentally, I am sure that a couple degrees in valve timing and clearances certainly help the spider too, especially with webers. The advance in valve timing gets the engine to run harder at higher rpms.

And, by the way, the spider carburetors (or even weber or delorto sidedrafts) on the spider intake manifold -- siamesed or un-siamesed -- , if used in the sedan, would probably be impeded by the lack of the inlet cut into the right body which was done by the factory on the spider to allow the extra room. The sedan has a fuel pump on the front side under the carburetor run off the eccentric of the chain idler where lower and upper chain meet. Spider has an electric pump under the car.

If anyone might be even faintly interested, on the sprint the entire engine, carburetors, starter, exhaust, distributor, water pump is IDENTICAL to the spider engine. Only difference is the motor number -- AR00205*etc instead of AR00204*etc.

Finally, it is possible to run a 1900 engine with two liter carburetors. As a matter of fact the first 435 two liter engines were actually 1900 blocks renumbered. If one really wants to see how close 1900 and 2000 engines (and sportiva's too) one need only look at the part numbers in the two liter parts book. Any 2000 parts used also in the previous 1306 engines of 1900s have numbers starting with 1306. Same with parts in 1308 variety 1900 motors used also in two liters. And, of course, some of the oldest parts common also to early 1750 engines have those part numbers. Or see the parts numbers for bolts and nuts. Only if the parts in a two liter engine are used in that engine for the first time do the parts start 102.02 etc.

[B]JAY NUXOLL [/B][EMAIL="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"], seriously Alfa diseased and ancient OLD Two Liter Lover, put together Seattle area's Northwest Alfa Romeo Club in 1965, and still feebly tries to tend a teeny sacred flame to his serpent mistress in the [B]ALFA G'RAJ MAHAL[/B], a home garage temple with more Alfa cars and parts than he dare list because of the disapproval of his shamed and chagrined family. (425) 641-2600.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Very interesting Jay! My engine #301 is one of the first (435) 1900 engine blocks. I thought that the output was 115 horsepower but maybe that is an SAE number. With all of the extra weight in the Berlina, I think it would need as many horsepower as the Roadster or more.

I've seen your beautiful Roadster and your very nice Berlina. I look forward to seeing your Sprint with Lexus metallic giallo!

When I saw the Abarth manifold set up, my first thought was that it would not fit under the hood of a Two-Liter Touring Roadster. I hope you saw the little write up I did, using Don's most excellent suggestion, to modify the bottom of the air-filter plenum so it is now open, allowing the Two-Liter Weber conversion to breathe (filtered air) much better.

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode