Alfa Romeo Forums banner

One of Ten Touring Roadsters World Wide! Post photographs here please

12K views 64 replies 22 participants last post by  RonH 
#1 · (Edited)
A poster on this forum recently suggested that there were not more than 10 Two-Liter Roadsters in running condition -world wide!

I believe that 3663 Touring Roadsters were built over a four year period. In my opinion there are literally hundreds, possibly thousands of "Old" Two-Liters still in running condition, world wide. Everyday more of these beauties are being restored!

Lets post photographs of every 'Type 102' Two-Liter out there, with Serial Numbers. I'd like to start with a photo of 'The Two Liter Lover's car' aka Jay, out of respect for his over 55 years of Two-Liter experience and dedication to this model:
Roadster: AR10204*00126
Berlina: AR10202*00900*
Sprint: AR10205*00019
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Convertible

Ken and Jeri's car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Convertible

A car I know well 102.04.00310
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Coupé

My old friend Norman P's car 102.04.01279
Mark

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
Might i suggest we all post our serial numbers with our pictures? Otherwise, we might reasonably assume that all the red ones are the same car. Also, if any have been written off, that might be noted as well. We wouldn't want to cheat in our effort to document the yuge count of 10 operating 102s. Hopefully, owners of Sprints and Sedans will chime in as well.

Reactions: PSk and IRONBLOCK
#11 · (Edited)
10204 00072

Seen elsewhere, but just to play along with this thread.

Mark, are you keeping count?

The red one is Dave "doggadave" Rundle's, very nicely converted to RHD. He's currently distracted with some medical treatments, but when he resurfaces we'll get his serial number.

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
We are at 26 cars already, although we don't have serial numbers for all of them and we have just started to scratch the surface!

That reminds me a little of the planets history. According to 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' by Bill Bryson; the "Watery Planet" (well there is more water on the surface, >70% than earth, <30% -on Earth) which has been here for something like 13.8 billion years. He said if Earth was an apple and from the surface to the core represented 13.8 billion years; man (or our time on Earth) hasn't been around long enough to make it through the layer of time representing the skin!

The main thing that impresses me so far is the quality of the cars represented. I am sure there is a 'big ratio' of nice driving cars to those that need a restoration!

Keep em coming,

Mark

#14 ·
When people asking about the running numbers. I guess that there is around a 100 2000 Touring spiders that still is running.
Our 2000 Touring 1960 participated in the anniversary in Milano 2010 and picture is from the Mille Miglia 2012. On the tour Europe 2012 we drove from Denmark and back totally around 8000km, within 3 weeks

Attachments

#16 · (Edited)
#02812 (the gunmetal grey coloured one, 3rd photo)
#00304 (Red with Borranis)

and some others all advertised on mobile.de

Attachments

#18 ·
#19 ·
All kidding aside, it would amusing, and possibly helpful, if another effort at a registry was attempted. They never achieve anything like a comprehensive list, but can become useful for use as a future reference source.

I think what most of us found hilarious was that someone who owns one of these lovely cars actually thought the remaining population was so low.

Years ago, I operated an owner's club for the type of biplane you see as my avatar. I think we documented around 70 in the US, out of around 1,000 total ever made in France, Belgium, and Algeria. We tended to have a few members from the U.K. Australia, New Zealand, South Afrika, and Singapore, but none from France, where most of the aircraft were made. I know of a great many in France, but they had no interest in a foreign club regarding their national aircraft.

I think the moral to the story is that the few we see in the US, and other non-Italian locales, is quite possibly only the tip of the iceberg.

#21 ·
In the last 10 years, since I bought my car, I have known of more than 10 of these cars in Spain alone, so the numbers in Italy, Germany and UK must be much higher. I think that rare and beautiful cars are not thrown away or left to rust that easily, they usually dissapear from sight into private collections, stay there without any publicity and rarely see the roads.

Probably the usual providers (Afra, OKP, etc.) could have a good estimate of the numbers based on the orders they receive. I might ask them for an estimate next time I order something.

#22 ·
From the 2013 drive to Italy with the Swiss/German 2000/2600 Club.

Attachments

#27 ·
That gray Two-Liter is pretty stellar looking! My Duetto was originally that slate gray, now red.

Mr. Lawson, the previous owner for the first 40 years was head of R&D with DuPont paint company. When the car was new they stripped and repainted with a prototype color called Firefrost (SP?). It was unique in that it had 24 Kt gold in the paint. In '83 Firefrost was stripped off (I wonder where the gold went?) and it was painted in the metallic blue, also a prototype at the time but I don't know the color name.

I have seen a couple of cars, maybe Cadillac's that looked very close but I could not do a direct comparison because the Two-Liter was home in the garage.

Rooster, where are you located, Germany?

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.