One of Ten Touring Roadsters World Wide! Post photographs here please - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 06:40 AM

#02812 (the gunmetal grey coloured one, 3rd photo)
#00304 (Red with Borranis)

and some others all advertised on mobile.de
Attached Images

IRONBLOCK likes this.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Last edited by spiderserie4; 02-20-2017 at 06:48 AM. Reason: added others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 08:57 AM
Gold Subscriber

10204 00203
Attached Images

IRONBLOCK and spiderJohnNH like this.

"If everything seems under control, you are not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti
post #18 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 11:25 AM

In an old thread of Don's, there were chassis # 77, 182 and 229 mentioned.....
2000 TOURING SPIDER For Sale (1958)

then chassis # 999, 1000 and 3162 mentioned here:
alfa 2000 touring spider chassis-body number

ok, no photographs, but methinks the myth of 10 world wide has been thoroughly put to rest

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

post #19 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 02:34 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
All kidding aside, it would amusing, and possibly helpful, if another effort at a registry was attempted. They never achieve anything like a comprehensive list, but can become useful for use as a future reference source.

I think what most of us found hilarious was that someone who owns one of these lovely cars actually thought the remaining population was so low.

Years ago, I operated an owner's club for the type of biplane you see as my avatar. I think we documented around 70 in the US, out of around 1,000 total ever made in France, Belgium, and Algeria. We tended to have a few members from the U.K. Australia, New Zealand, South Afrika, and Singapore, but none from France, where most of the aircraft were made. I know of a great many in France, but they had no interest in a foreign club regarding their national aircraft.

I think the moral to the story is that the few we see in the US, and other non-Italian locales, is quite possibly only the tip of the iceberg.
alfa123ca and PhilBoncer like this.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #20 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 03:22 PM

Thanks to all for showing all these beautiful pictures.
Larry Bono

1962 Alfa 2600 Spider, bought in 1970, sold in 2016.
1969 Porsche 912 Coupe owned since new.
post #21 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 03:35 PM

In the last 10 years, since I bought my car, I have known of more than 10 of these cars in Spain alone, so the numbers in Italy, Germany and UK must be much higher. I think that rare and beautiful cars are not thrown away or left to rust that easily, they usually dissapear from sight into private collections, stay there without any publicity and rarely see the roads.

Probably the usual providers (Afra, OKP, etc.) could have a good estimate of the numbers based on the orders they receive. I might ask them for an estimate next time I order something.
post #22 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 03:58 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
From the 2013 drive to Italy with the Swiss/German 2000/2600 Club.
Attached Images

-Ruedi
'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, now a restomod in Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).
post #23 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 11:20 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Well I woke you sleeping 102s guys up
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #24 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 03:57 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Another one I stumbled upon at this Italian restorer in the Brescia area. No chassis details are given.
Attached Images

[FONT="Georgia"][/FONT]
to all parts I have advertised on the BB so far. Plenty more! Just ask.
post #25 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 03:50 PM

Here is one I saw sold recently in Hamburg by Thiessan, I really like the color combo, and apparent quality of restoration.
Attached Images

PSk, pinshaw and alfa123ca like this.
post #26 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 03:58 PM

Does anybody know the exact color of the bluish silver vehicle above, ( first example on IRONBLOCK post)?
post #27 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That gray Two-Liter is pretty stellar looking! My Duetto was originally that slate gray, now red.

Mr. Lawson, the previous owner for the first 40 years was head of R&D with DuPont paint company. When the car was new they stripped and repainted with a prototype color called Firefrost (SP?). It was unique in that it had 24 Kt gold in the paint. In '83 Firefrost was stripped off (I wonder where the gold went?) and it was painted in the metallic blue, also a prototype at the time but I don't know the color name.

I have seen a couple of cars, maybe Cadillac's that looked very close but I could not do a direct comparison because the Two-Liter was home in the garage.

Rooster, where are you located, Germany?

Mark
post #28 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 05:30 PM

Bob Pass in St. Louis AR10204*00857

I sent three to Holland for restoration in mid 2015. I suspect they are being worked on. I know another was restored there by Jan Steutel. One of mine sold years ago went to England and then to Denmark AR10204*00081. And Franco Veloce has been redoing so many of these there must be at least 250 running. We might not have the VIN numbers for all of them, but if we all went through our old emails I bet we could find that many already. Anyway, here (red car) is the fantastic one of Bob Pass. He just got a new spin on oil filter from:
Myron Cottrell (MAKES SPIN ON FILTER FOR 102 AND 1900)
hpfarm@aol.com
4255 Creek Rd c(612) 868-6596
Chaska, MN 55318 (952) 448-5330
Attached Images

[B]JAY NUXOLL [/B][EMAIL="
"], seriously Alfa diseased and ancient OLD Two Liter Lover, put together Seattle area's Northwest Alfa Romeo Club in 1965, and still feebly tries to tend a teeny sacred flame to his serpent mistress in the [B]ALFA G'RAJ MAHAL[/B], a home garage temple with more Alfa cars and parts than he dare list because of the disapproval of his shamed and chagrined family. (425) 641-2600.

Last edited by twoliterlover; 02-27-2017 at 06:06 PM. Reason: photo misleading
post #29 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 06:51 PM

Ken Schaff's two liter AR10204*03061

Also another picture (and some commentary) from Reudi (Tubut) of Ken Schaff's two liter that so far has brought the highest sales price follows: (I hope the order does not cause confusion.)

"(blue car) Auctioned by RM Auctions in Scottsdale, AZ, on Thursday, January 16, 2014: 1962 Alfa Romeo 2000 Spider by Touring, Chassis no. AR 10204 03061, Engine no. AR 00204 03313, Touring no. 10005 Sold for $121,000 (presumably including buyer's premium). The car seems to be slightly over-restored in the engine compartment (polished cam covers, air plenum, oil spout, etc.) and the seats have been restored so they don't seem to provide lateral support, but other than that this car appears to be a great driver with Weber conversion. And, what seems to be Bluette color makes it great looking, too!"
Ruedi

twoliterlover comments:
"Yes, beautiful and special car! Notice the wire wheels and the great looking engine (yes, I agree it is not perfectly original and correct for the cam covers and the air box to be shiny instead of the factory crinkle black). The late Ken Schaff of Moraga, California (actually his wife) owned this car for many years. It was as utterly beautiful the first time I saw it and marveled at the blue color in 1998 when my youngest daughter started college at St. Mary's in that town. I am sure she treasured it even more for the last ten or more years since he died. The engine tuning and modifications (and also general all around care) was always done on it by that most Alfa knowledgeable and highly skilled Conrad Stevenson in Berkeley just over the hill towards the coast. I had the privilege of being introduced to Conrad that year by Ken who was having Conrad rebody a 6c2500 of his into a Torbuk style model racer. The two owned it together until Ken died. Ken also had a five window 1900 CSS coupe that Ken redid for him in two tone blue and green colors which looked so beautiful I gave up any consideration of doing mine in the common "commercial" red with black interior. And that was after I had almost lost interest in my 1900 after seeing an identical one painted an ugly tomato shade at the 1994 Pebble Beach concours (won third in class) which Senore Andelone afterwards endorsed in writing on the under hood insulation as "the most authentic restoration of any Alfa 1900 he had seen".

But, do not assume the value of your own two liter the same as this particular one. It was and is very special. Just a decent set of the correct wire wheels cost $10,000 now, and these wheels look better than what one can get new. I suspect that Conrad also really made that car hum. I hope the new owner has begun to love it at least half as much, maybe even stay close to Conrad. The sad part about hearing of great Alfa cars being purchased now is that when such do occur it is usually because someone died.

[B]JAY NUXOLL [/B][EMAIL="
"], seriously Alfa diseased and ancient OLD Two Liter Lover, put together Seattle area's Northwest Alfa Romeo Club in 1965, and still feebly tries to tend a teeny sacred flame to his serpent mistress in the [B]ALFA G'RAJ MAHAL[/B], a home garage temple with more Alfa cars and parts than he dare list because of the disapproval of his shamed and chagrined family. (425) 641-2600.
post #30 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 08:17 PM

No, Im in Southern California, and will soon post my 2 liter photos as soon as I choose a color combo, ( hence , my questions).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode