more performance for the 2600, how? - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 10:55 AM

Weber Manifold

Photos of 2600 weber manifold attached - purchased from the US for a project , I won't now start. Crack on water jacket has been professionally repaired as photo. Please PM an offer if interested
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 05:06 PM

Malibujim

Hi Redmerlin,
I already just replied to you, but I'm not sure that it went through, as when i pushed the Reply button, it deleted itself! So, here it goes again...
I had said that I am a neophyte with Alfa Romeo parts, and don't have any idea what you might think this 2600 intake manifold is worth, but if I can trust your opinion that it is in good shape except for the welded up crack on the bottom edge (do you know how that crack got made?---and, could you tell before you had it repaired whether it was badly corroded inside in that area?---can you even see into the water jacket of the manifold in that area? Anyway, I would be willing to offer you $1000 for it on your word that it is good usable condition, but would like to talk personally with you regarding payment methods and shipping, etc. I could call you at the time and number that you give me, as I tried to send my phone number to you in an earlier reply, but the system kicked it back saying that I could not include phone numbers or email addresses, so I don't know how to work with this system, but hope you do!
So, let me know the next step...
THANKS!
JIM
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 06:34 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
FWIW, I paid about USD 1,800 for my Weber manifold is similar condition (and also missing the bar for the throttle linkages) several years ago. Weber manifolds are about as rare as Unicorns, but I heard of one that sold for about $400-450 last year. The exorbitant costs and rarity of these manifolds are one of the main reasons why Solex manifolds are being converted.

-Ruedi
'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, now a restomod in Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).

post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 11:45 PM

Manifold

Jim

Best if we move to email to discuss - I will send a PM with my email address. N.B I do have the throttle shaft and levers if required

Ian
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 12:29 PM

Hi Redmerlin,
Sounds good to me, I'll await your reply with a PM (which I still don't even know what this stands for..."Post Message"?)
Thanks!
JIM
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 04:02 AM

Weber Manifold

Well it looks like the manifold is up for sale again - I have waited patiently and pm'd the board member I agreed a price with a couple of times for payment but I have had no response in 3 months . So I guess it is reasonable to move on. If I have missed something a pm or mail please let me know . Price is now 1500 which was offered before. I may try listing on ebay to get a confirmed buyer. I am looking for funds for my new alfa 1750 race car project. I do have original carbs to go with the manifold

Ian
Attached Images

Last edited by Redmerlin; 03-05-2017 at 04:57 AM.
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 07:59 AM

Hi Redmerlin,

I am interested in your Weber manifold. Could you contact me at: albert_ruebben(missing sign)yahoo.de .

Best regards

Albert
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 09:02 AM

Manifold Sold

Albert I am sorry the Weber manifold is now sold
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 01:13 PM

As This Thread Is About Getting More Performance Out Of A 2600 Motor I'll Share My Experience:

Over Thirty Years Ago I Obtained A 1965 2600 Sprint. I Disassembled The Motor And Did The Following:

Balanced The Crank/Rods/Pistons/Flywheel Assy (also lightened it)

Modified The Intake Manifold To Accept Weber Carb Blocks (and installed 40 DCOE carbs)

Had Tubular Headers Fabricated

Had The Cams Welded & Reground By DeLong (a well known westcoast camgrinder back in the day)

Milled The Head To Bump The Compression

For The Suspension I Did The Following:

Panasport Wheels & tires

Spax Adjustable Shocks

Designed And Had Fabricated Variable Rate F&R Suspension Springs (I designed these in my "vibrations" ME course at Cal)

Had A Larger Front Sway Bar Fabricated

I Drove This Car A Few Times At Sears Point; it was a "pig" even with all of this work (understeered & slow coming out of corners)

It Was The Slowest Alfa I Have Ever Owned (I also owned a 1965 Giulia Ti) Below about 50 MPH However, It Was The Fastest Alfa I Every Owned (I also owned an EP Giula Spider SCCA Car) Above that; It could keep up with 911's (top out at 125/130 MPH?)

From My Experience With This Car I Think A Modern Cam Grind Would Make It Much Better At Slow Speeds However, I Believe The Motor Is Just Too Small For This Size Of Car (if the motor was 3 or 3.5 Liters It Would Be A Different Story)

Many Years Ago I Sold This Car To Rich Ott/Alfetta Motors (who recently passed away). I Wonder What Happened To It?

-John
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 01:28 PM

Back in the '70's I imported a 2600 coupe which I think was an ex Italian police car. It was such a total rust bucket I sold it for what I had in it less a couple of hundred and felt that I had dodged a bullet. Its one valuable feature was that the engine was fitted with the Weber manifold and 45mm DCOE's which I always thought were pretty cool. Now that we have 3D printing capability, I would think it would be time for someone to scan and "print" a run of new 2600 Weber manifolds.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 05:43 PM

Thanks for sharing your experince with your 2600 Sprint. With my 2600 Spider, I just want a GT car that can keep up with a lot of other 1950-60's sports cars on Rallies. So far, I have converted mine to 45DCOE Webers, plus added a 123 Distributor, and reduced the 3 mufflers to one in the stock exhaust system...which probably just gives it a better sound!
However, I had it dyno'd on the same chassis dyno before and after these minimal mod's, and it came out afterwards with almost exactly 25% better horsepower, and with torque it was also a 25% higher peak, but with a much straighter torque curve, with no big "hole" in the torque at around 3-4k rpm which it had with the original Solexes. I'm now very pleased with the way it drives and handles after also adding new adjustable Koni shocks and new Pirelli 165RH400 tires (instead of the Michelin 185R400). I recently had the experience of following closely behind a Jag 150S coupe with 3.8L engine (which is almost 50% larger in capacity, but probably a heavier car also) through twisty mountain roads without having to give up an inch to him in the straights or curves.
However, I would like to find out approximately how much better it might be with a better cam grind and possibly headers? Has anyone else done dyno work during their upgrades to know what difference each change makes? And does anyone know who today does an upgraded "touring" cam grind (ideally, on the West Coast of U.S.--- or is Jemison still in business in Florida?)
post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 06:17 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MALIBUJIM View Post
However, I would like to find out approximately how much better it might be with a better cam grind and possibly headers? Has anyone else done dyno work during their upgrades to know what difference each change makes? And does anyone know who today does an upgraded "touring" cam grind (ideally, on the West Coast of U.S.--- or is Jemison still in business in Florida?)
I would love to see dyno data, too. Richard Jemison offered cams for the 2600 a while ago (see this thread and this thread -- note the different profiles).

-Ruedi
'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, now a restomod in Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).

Last edited by tubut; 03-31-2017 at 06:32 PM.
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 02:23 AM

Ian,

thank you for your quick reply. So I will go for desiamizing the solex manifold.

Best regards

Albert
post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Now I've worked on and driven Jaguar Mk 2 saloons and they are very rapid ...

So now I'm confused; takes a good car to beat a Jaguar Mk 2 and they were good race cars in their day.
Pete
With the right set up the 2600 Sprint is quick. This youtube video is representative. Does anyone know what modifications has been done to this Sprint?

alfa123ca likes this.
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 10:02 AM

another well prepped 2600 Sprint:

ALFA ROMEO 2600 SPRINT - TFC
alfa123ca likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode