more performance for the 2600, how? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubut View Post
Because 102 and 106 Sprint/Spider are essentially the same cars, as evidenced by many parts in the 2600 parts catalog with 102 prefixes. The front and rear suspension (in fact the whole rear axle) are identical. Differences are the engines (duh!) and cosmetic upgrades in response to market demand (front disc brakes on all 106 cars and bigger trunk on the Spider).
I get it..The part I don't get is how two guys each with a 102 and a 106 parked side by side at a C&C could have a meaningful exchange of how to "soup" up the performance of one v. the other, other than suspension settings and tires and make any sense of it... common basket of interchangeables aside. My comments are directed at the heart of the original poster's question...It's da motor. I think it has to be 2600 specific to have any credibility.

Last edited by divotandtralee; 11-15-2016 at 04:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 04:46 AM

Pete,
If I might say, that is a little harsh...

The 2600 Sprint was run by the factory as a full-supported Works team in '62 to '64 before the advent of the Giulia ti and the GTA. It competed in the European Touring Car Championship, driven by works drivers such as Andrea de Adamich. Later on it was raced by Works-supported privateers with moderate success in its class, occasionally beating Jag Mk 2 saloons. Finally it enjoyed a lot of success in international rallying including the Tour de France.

Now, no-one who has raced one will claim that it was the ideal, well-balanced Touring Car, but it was a useful tool in competent hands if a little heavy on the turn-in. Today, with Weber 45s, a modern cam (pref an RJR profile), attention to the cylinder-head cooling and some handling tweeks plus, if affordable, a c/r box and an LSD, it can give a good account of itself.

I was 47 when I started racing mine, just the right side of 70....
Nick
rogerspeed and pinshaw like this.
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 07:03 AM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Racing 2600

Erich Stahlman is building an all out race car for his father. A 2600 Coupe. Car and engine are gorgeous. I`ll try to get him to post a pic of the car & engine.

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"

Last edited by Alfar7; 04-01-2017 at 01:22 PM.

post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 07:34 AM

Richard,
I would be delighted to see something of Erich's 2600. He first mailed me in 2005 about his project, so it has been a fair old time in the making ....
Nick
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 09:08 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliadriver View Post
Pete,
If I might say, that is a little harsh...

The 2600 Sprint was run by the factory as a full-supported Works team in '62 to '64 before the advent of the Giulia ti and the GTA. It competed in the European Touring Car Championship, driven by works drivers such as Andrea de Adamich. Later on it was raced by Works-supported privateers with moderate success in its class, occasionally beating Jag Mk 2 saloons. Finally it enjoyed a lot of success in international rallying including the Tour de France.

Now, no-one who has raced one will claim that it was the ideal, well-balanced Touring Car, but it was a useful tool in competent hands if a little heavy on the turn-in. Today, with Weber 45s, a modern cam (pref an RJR profile), attention to the cylinder-head cooling and some handling tweeks plus, if affordable, a c/r box and an LSD, it can give a good account of itself.

I was 47 when I started racing mine, just the right side of 70....
Nick
Now I've worked on and driven Jaguar Mk 2 saloons and they are very rapid ...

So now I'm confused; takes a good car to beat a Jaguar Mk 2 and they were good race cars in their day.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 07:58 PM

FWIW, driving on 165-400's, the late Adrian Ratcliffe was able to give an Autodelta 1300 GTAjunior driven by a very competent and quick driver - albeit may be not over the top like Adrian - and a lot of other cars a hard time at Westwood (the circuit where Gilles Villeneuve had some of his Formula Atlantique successes - it sadly no longer exists and has become a housing development since) driving a 102 2000 Bertone with a spool and a prodified 2600 engine that he used to take to obscene rpm ... He ended up cartwheeling that car - often fondly referred to as Ms. Piggy - in an incident that involved wildlife IIRC.
post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 01:04 PM

Pete,
Here's the clue : Alfa 2600 Sprint, no serious development in Historics over the last 50 years..... Jag Mk 2 saloon, practically continuous development since early 1970s to 2016 ....

The pace of Jag saloons today is near-enough supernatural, but back in the 60s, on a long circuit such as Spa, 2600 Sprint was over 2s a lap faster ! Happy days.
Nick
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 11:22 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliadriver View Post
Pete,
Here's the clue : Alfa 2600 Sprint, no serious development in Historics over the last 50 years..... Jag Mk 2 saloon, practically continuous development since early 1970s to 2016 ....

The pace of Jag saloons today is near-enough supernatural, but back in the 60s, on a long circuit such as Spa, 2600 Sprint was over 2s a lap faster ! Happy days.
Nick
The Jaguar I worked on was not a race car but a dead standard road car, a 3.4 MkII auto, and it was quick in a straight line. Note I was only about 16 so 32 years later might not feel as quick

But yes Jaguars in historic racing are making huge hp and revving way higher than they ever did. I believe Cosworth did some work on them.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions

Last edited by PSk; 11-16-2016 at 11:27 PM.
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 11:18 AM

Garage
So you want to help your friend make his 2600 faster...I found the answer today totally by accident. Pay close attention to this video clip or you may miss it:

Mark
Ohiospider1975 likes this.
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 12:52 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
FYI, the segments concerning the 2600 engine are at about 6:00 and 11:45 in the video.

-Ruedi
'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, now a restomod in Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 03:29 PM

Garage
Thanks Ruedi, that is one sweet sounding 2600; I have to admit it myself.

Mark
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 10:23 AM

post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 01:29 PM

Sweet sounding 2600

Try this link

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMkGTAchiGv/

or this

Amazingly there are two alfa romeo "race cars' on car and classic at the moment

ALFA ROMEO 2600 SPRINT 'COMPETIZIONE' - Ex Targa Florio For Sale (1965)

ALFA ROMEO 2600 SPRINT 'COMPETIZIONE' - Ex Targa Florio For Sale (1965) on Car And Classic UK [C813364]

At 28,000 compared to similar prices being asked for original cars , you may as well buy this one and avoid all the development costs.

or you may recognise this one at an optimistic 50,000

Alfa Romeo 2600 sprint FIA Racecar For Sale (1965) on Car And Classic UK [C802278]

N.B I have no interest or connection with either car
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 11:02 PM

Thanks, redmerlin,
i would be very interested in your weber intake manifold for the 2600 engine, as i've already bought a set of rebuilt 45-dcoe-9 webers. Please let me know how to contact you further re. This. Would it be possible for you to post a photo file of it here?
Thanks,
malibujim
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 11:03 PM

MALIBUJIM

Thanks, redmerlin,
i would be very interested in your weber intake manifold for the 2600 engine, as i've already bought a set of rebuilt 45-dcoe-9 webers. Please let me know how to contact you further re. This. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of it here?
Thanks,
malibujim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode