2000T new project - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 234 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

2000T new project

Hi everybody,

I have the opportunity to start the restauration of a 1960 2000 Touring.

The car is originally yellow "paglierino" with black seats but I would like to do it as beautiful as possible, whatever the original configuration.

Here are my questions :
For your point of view, what could be the best colors configuration (painting, interior, hard top) for such model ?

Do you know if the soft top cover has the same color of the seats or if it is black (as I can see on many pictures) ?

Do you know if the engine compartment is painted in Black (such 2600 T) or if it is the same color than the rest of the car ?

I will post picture as soon as the car would be at "home".

Have a nice day.

Serge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 234 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 05:33 AM

Garage
Congratulations on starting your Touring restoration, Serge!

I have never seen one done in yellow and wonder if that is the way it left the factory in 1960? You can email (Marco Fazio?) Alfa with your cars serial number and he will reply with original color combination, date of manufacture and 1st purchaser. You decide what color is best for you. I think black is the most common interior color but white cars could have red interiors, etc. I think most tops were originally black, if not all.
The engine compartment and trunk were originally painted black (perhaps semi-flat black), the hood (bonnet) had a silver insulation blanket while the trunk had rubber mats.

Good Luck,
Mark
post #3 of 234 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 08:36 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Serge,

There can be differences of opinion on what is/was original, but most details can be determined.

I have never seen a yellow 2000, but I can imagine it being stunning if it is a soft yellow with black interior. I think the car would look very nice if the hard top was also black. Yes, the cover over the soft top storage area should be the same color as the rest of the interior.

If I were to restore another 10204 with a unique color, I would change the interior to high-quality leather. Although most were vinyl, leather was an option, so in keeping with the nature of the car.

Almost everything except the exterior of the car should be painted a semi-gloss black. The dash should have a slightly greater gloss than the engine bay, trunk, wheel wells, etc, but just barely. The dash should not be high gloss.

If you undertake the project, you'll have plenty of help and encouragement. Particularly if you do not paint the car red.

We could be convinced to visit Aix-en-Provence with little effort.

What year and serial number of the car?

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...

post #4 of 234 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 08:51 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Serge,

Although I don't know 102 cars very well as, I'm chiming in with some information that may be helpful: This thread gives you an idea about what Giallo Paglierino looks like and contains factory images that indicate the dashboard may have been black on all cars. The soft top itself was probably black on all cars, but the soft top cover that is part of the rear seat backs is the same color as the seats. A page from the Engine Shop Manual indicates the engine compartment was painted black as on 106 Spiders.
Attached Images

-Ruedi
'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, now a restomod in Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).
post #5 of 234 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 04:40 PM

Hi

the engine compartment was painted satin black

rdgs Franco
post #6 of 234 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 05:58 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Serge.....

Lots of opinions and contradictions when it comes to Alfa colors. For instance, there were several people that would swear "Grigio biacca" is a light gray. This was the original color of my car, and we found areas that had never been painted, buffed them up (original was lacquer), and found a gorgeous, soft ivory white. I've never had a viewer tell me anything but "my god that's a beautiful color".

The link above shows at least what one Giallo Paglierino looks like. However, it is a well-aged car, and may no longer look like the original color. I've known several Grigio biacca cars over the years, and for the most part their lacquer would turn dull and sort of refrigerator-white with age. My car looked sort of generic white, except in the areas we found that were protected. The areas we found on my car were under the chrome pieces where the top hooks into the back just ahead of the trunk. The previous respray had left these two pieces in place, giving us access to areas that had probably never seen the sun since the car was delivered new.

I believe the original Giallo Paglierino would likely be gorgeous, and very rare. I encourage you to keep it, but try to research how it looked when new. Modern paints won't lose their color or gloss with time, so you can recreate something unique and special and know it will be appreciated for a long time to come.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #7 of 234 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much for all your answers.

I already contact Marco :
The car was build in January 1960 to be send dirrectly to France.
The color is yellow "paglierino"

I'm not very found of this color.
A freind of mine have a 2600 T on this configuration and it is too yellow for me (I'll asck him some pictures).

If I put aside original aspect, my today best color should be Grigio Grafite.
Beige or Red interior :

Name:  WP_20150510_011.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  59.7 KB

Name:  WP_20150510_015.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  58.4 KB

Name:  Image1.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  25.3 KB
(this is not a 2000T ...)

"Grigio biacca" is also very elegant and you car Don is wonderfull.

Everyone is welcome in Aix en Provence !
post #8 of 234 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 03:40 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Good morning Serge,

My car originally had a red interior. I absolutely understand how the Italians create greatness by doing things the rest of us would never try. It appears to always have been so. Still, I wanted something less "in your face", but still stunning, so changed the color of my interior. We all get to answer to our own muse. However, I am VERY happy I researched the Grigio biacca and found its beauty.

I've never seen a 102 or 106 in Giallo Paglierino. I can imagine a very light yellow, with almost a translucent nature that shows the white undercoat. There are probably none left that have the original depth of color that Alfa intended, and sooooooo many have been repainted red that the result is though da Vinci created a dozen works of equivalent beauty to the Mona Lisa, but all but one of the canvasses were repainted as a velvet Elvis.

You could end up with something of stunning beauty, and have the only one. Gray Alfas are fairly common.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #9 of 234 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 03:52 PM

grigio biacca

Hi All,

picture of my 2000 touring in grigio biacca with red leather interior

rgds Franco
Attached Images

post #10 of 234 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 07:17 AM

I think this is an example of a yellow "paglierino" car
Attached Images

spiderJohnNH likes this.

Francisco (Spain)

'74 GTV 2000
'59 2000 touring spider
There is a very fine line between ‘hobby’ and ‘mental illness.’
post #11 of 234 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 08:44 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Interesting car. It seems likely to have been repainted, when we consider the dark stripe down the side. The yellow, however, has great promise.

Lacquer could achieve a great depth and luster with sufficient polishing. For a little while. Few people today would have seen, or remember, seeing a 102 fresh on the showroom floor. What we see in our memory is how they looked when we first encountered them when they were much older. This color, done in a modern base/clear techniquee, would appear jewel-like.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #12 of 234 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 04:24 PM

De gustibus non est disputandum!

In short (Latin) "Tastes are not to be disputed" or "There should be no argument about tastes".

I have had twelve two liter spiders since I saw my first one in December 1959. The first was white with red interior. The next was red with black interior. The next was dark grey with a green naugahyde interior (which is now red with black leather interior) The next was light grey (almost silver) with black interior. I've had a light blue and a dark blue. But I also had one in yellow with a black interior. This was the one originally sold in Switzerland with hardtop, nardi steering wheel, grab handle on dash, fairings at bottom of engine compartment around engine, and the rear view mirror on the dash cowl pedestal. I remember crying when I sold that one down the river. And, frankly, I can't recall anything special about any of the others.

As to the yellow color, I must indicate it was on a 1962 and new to me. The only yellow one I had ever seen. I felt it was very subdued, and very elegant, but not remarkable so as to wish my car to be that specific color. I do like the yellow color that is on the current Fiat models and also, by the way, the yellow available on Lexus. I have been toying with the idea of painting Giugiugaro's very first two liter sprint that Lexus yellow even if it was originally white.

But that is where tastes come in. My son tells me it would be a sacrilege. The last time anybody told me anything like that was when Simon Moore insisting that he had to get 8c2900A I had found because he would restore it perfectly and that if I kept it I would only be doing the equivalent of desecrating the bones of the apostles. That comment so shocked me that he prevailed. I sent him the car, but we agreed to be partners in it with him paying for all the restoration costs. Years later when he wanted to put the car into a trust for his daughter he finally convinced me to sell my share to him. Until then I was part owner and had the right to drive it ten days a year within 100 miles of where it was garaged, and each of us had first right to buy the car from the other's estate. When he bought me out he asked me what benefit I had from being part owner since I had never made it to London to drive it. Selling made sense (and his generosity didn't hurt). Besides selling right then helped me finish my Alfa G'Raj Mahal. He had restored it to its original blue two tone. He sold it a year or so ago, and the new owner redid it in tan and brown shades. Looked great at Pebble Beach. Simon apparently get disenchanted with the small cockpit and the cramped driving room that cause him pain in driving it. He also made on heck of a lot of money. Maybe I shouldn't have sold my share so fast.

But don't go arguing about colors. Paint your car whatever pleases you and drive it. There is no logical justification for having an Alfa except the incredible joy one always has in driving it. At least that was true for the years my two liter was a daily driver. Now I am shocked each time I see the report of another one sold. Each time it is for a higher figure. It's almost as bad as the 1900 series cars or the 6c2500 ones. Two liter cars are now sold at such prices that somebody has to die before one comes up for sale.

[B]JAY NUXOLL [/B][EMAIL="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"], seriously Alfa diseased and ancient OLD Two Liter Lover, put together Seattle area's Northwest Alfa Romeo Club in 1965, and still feebly tries to tend a teeny sacred flame to his serpent mistress in the [B]ALFA G'RAJ MAHAL[/B], a home garage temple with more Alfa cars and parts than he dare list because of the disapproval of his shamed and chagrined family. (425) 641-2600.
post #13 of 234 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 08:34 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvidal@gmx.de View Post
I think this is an example of a yellow "paglierino" car
On my IPad, this car looks much like my Grigio Biacca. Every computer seems to have its own interpretation of colors.

With just a nudge toward yellow, I wouldn't agree it was. On my IPad at this moment, Grigio Biacca.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #14 of 234 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 09:06 PM

my car was the same color combo new and i agree, it isnt inspiring
I say go with your heart and love the results, it will make all else you have to do worth while
Mine is down to the metal waiting for replacement panels before heading to the body shop
progress is being made and parts are gathering
good luck with yours

Peter

Peter Inshaw
59 Touring Spider "AlfaOle", 63 Spider, 67 GTV, 91 Spider
post #15 of 234 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 06:19 AM

2600 in Yellow

There is an original 2600 spider in the UK in Yellow . It is unmolested from new and does look very good. This may be due to the subtle patination and fading of the paint. I attach the only photo I have of 70KBP
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode