2000T new project - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 182 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 09:51 AM

Im shooting for the color of the one next to Montreal, least of my issues right now, but looking forward to that day.

Peter Inshaw
49 Topolino, 63 Spider, 67 GTV, 91 Spider, 59 Touring Spider "AlfaOle"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 182 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 10:49 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I'm not terribly far over in Carson City. You're always welcome to come compare notes on my car if it helps. Generally, very good wine is in stock.
pinshaw likes this.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #18 of 182 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Thank you to all of you for all your answer.

To be honest with you, the configuration that I love very much is this one :
Name:  Choix de la couleur.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  35.5 KB

For me it is a sort of Old English White that you can find on Jaguar cars.

I still have time to decide myself, I should have the car around Christmas and the body repair will be long.

By the way, if you have any advices to boost the engine and increase as much as possible the power, don't hesitate.

Serge.

post #19 of 182 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 10:26 AM

Nice, like the painted dash and plan on doing that to mine, all the blk they blew on these stock was imo a cheap looking solution
later cars had the dashes & engine compartments painted and I think they look better for it. Black paint always looks like a coverup even though many italian car mfgs did it.
good luck with, sure it will turn out great

Peter Inshaw
49 Topolino, 63 Spider, 67 GTV, 91 Spider, 59 Touring Spider "AlfaOle"
post #20 of 182 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 11:15 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Grigio Biacca

Hello Serge,

At first, I thought the picture you posted was my car, but quickly realized it is not. The color appears identical to mine, which was copied from original paint on my car. It is "Grigio Biacca". My original interior was red, much like you show (only perhaps a little lighter shade), but I chose a sort of saddle color during the restoration. A picture or two are below.

As noted, the original dash color is a sort of egg-shell black. The door jambs, trunk, engine bay, etc are done in a satin black. I personally like the black, and find the all-one-color approach to be just too much of one thing. I think the 102 cars are past the age of cheap toy cars, and generally benefit from remaining fairly close to the original.

As for improving the engine, that is easy. My memory is failing, but I thought you already had an FNM engine in your car? If not, that is the easiest and most dramatic improvement. You can find these engines more easily in Europe than we can in the US. We can talk about this more as you consider your options.
Attached Images

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #21 of 182 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 02:13 PM

Don, thanks for posting the pictures.
Larry Bono

1962 Alfa 2600 Spider, bought in 1970, sold in 2016.
1969 Porsche 912 Coupe owned since new.
post #22 of 182 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

You are right Larry.

Don, as mentioned in a PM, your car is very nice. Congratulation !

It seems less "Grigio" than the one of Franco (that looks great too !!!). More "Cream".
I love the color of the seats even if I would prefer them a little bit more light (on the right):

Name:  Kamel.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  39.4 KB

That give me a very good idea of what I want : A “white” car with “kamel” seats (not red as the one of the 2600 are already red => Let’s change)

Thanks again !

Franco, Don,
If you still have the technical description of your color it will be very kind of you.

Regarding the dash painted the same color than the body, I love it but I’m afraid that could create reflections into the glass.

Don, could you please post a picture of the door jambs to be sure I well understand ?

Have a nice day.

Serge
post #23 of 182 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 06:20 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Serge,

Happy to help. Alas, I injured my foot on Tuesday, so am moving very slowly right now.

I created a thread covering the restoration of my car and it's FNM engine. It is a long thread, as I tend to wander occasionally, but has much guidance for someone undertaking a 102 restoration.

As for "Grigio Biacca".....

There is much debate about this color. I have seen paint formulas that produce light green, a light blue, a light gray, and other variations. According to Marco, my car was originally Grigio Biacca. We found a protected area on my car that had not been repainted since new, and which had been protected from the sun. We used a computerized camera designed to analyze the color and produce the paint formula that matched. It is a lovely soft white. The Italians can be as creative in their names as well as their mechanics. Yes, it is much like a fresh cream suited for good Italian coffee.

I can probably get you the formula, but it will be after I am mobile again. I have difficulty driving right now.

The "FNM" engine is a version of the original engine that was produced in Brazil from the 70s through the mid 80's. From the outside it looks almost identical to the original 2000. Inside it is 2300 cc, and was delivered initially with two Solex ADDH carbs. It is rated at 149HP, compared to the original engine's 120 +/-. The car that used this engine was never imported to the U.S., but was imported into Europe, briefly. So, usable engines can be found over there. It is a fairly easy installation. It transforms the performance of the car.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

Last edited by DPeterson3; 12-10-2015 at 06:24 AM.
post #24 of 182 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 06:58 AM

Hello Serge,

The 2000 Touring is a very nice car. I owned one about... 25 years ago.

Just my opinion, take care of painted upper dashboard with a light color, you will always have a reflection in the windshield. It's going to handicap you during driving.
That's why all the modern cars are black dashboard.

I don't know if you are looking for, but I have a 2000 touring engine...

Bonne route !

chris
post #25 of 182 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 07:30 PM

Ah, Grigio Biacca strikes again. That was supposedly the original color of my car, but every modern paint code for this color I tried yielded odd colors as Don mentioned (yellow being one of them). I decided on Grigio Grafite instead and it is lovely. Despite being the AROC Concours guy, I went slightly non-original on mine and did the body color dash since it is a dark color anyway.

One of the parts cars that came with my car a dozen years ago was a buttery yellow color. Not sure if it was original but someone obviously felt it was a good color for the car. My personal aesthetic prefers darker colors for cars like this since they tend to highlight the contours and chrome, but these cars are beautiful in any color.

Don, your car is stunning.

Arno Leskinen
AROC-USA National Chief Concours Judge
164LS
1972 Lancia Fulvia 1.3S

Last edited by Touringspider; 12-11-2015 at 07:48 PM.
post #26 of 182 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 08:40 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Hello Touringspider,

I got lucky. I tend to make decisions on the fly, and move forward at speed.

When I saw the polished lacquer from under my three top retaining fittings, I just went "oooooh baby", and went with it.

I have watched women get all warm and runny from the combination of exterior and interior. Men start reconsidering whether they are gay or not (I'm not).

Some things combine to make magic, while others are just **** good. "Grigio biacca", as identified by buffing up original paint, is magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touringspider View Post
Ah, Grigio Biacca strikes again. That was supposedly the original color of my car, but every modern paint code for this color I tried yielded odd colors as Don mentioned (yellow being one of them). I decided on Grigio Grafite instead and it is lovely. Despite being the AROC Concours guy, I went slightly non-original on mine and did the body color dash since it is a dark color anyway.

One of the parts cars that came with my car a dozen years ago was a buttery yellow color. Not sure if it was original but someone obviously felt it was a good color for the car. My personal aesthetic prefers darker colors for cars like this since they tend to highlight the contours and chrome, but these cars are beautiful in any color.

Don, your car is stunning.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #27 of 182 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Hello everybody !

The car arrive this morning.

Few pictures :
Name:  WP_20151219_001.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  43.0 KB

Name:  WP_20151219_002.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  33.5 KB

Name:  WP_20151219_003.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  33.2 KB

Name:  WP_20151219_004.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  43.9 KB

Not sure it is his original color.

The car looks complete.
One thing seams missing : One hood hinge

If I have time, I'll make a precise inventory tomorrow.

I have a appointment on monday with the coachbuilder.

The work should start beginning of next year ...

Serge.
post #28 of 182 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 01:06 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Nice car, Serge -- looks like a good basis for a restoration!

-Ruedi
'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, now being restored in Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).
post #29 of 182 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 02:14 PM

Very nice shape!

I notice it is European version, even with passenger grab-handle on dash. It must be a 1962. I am enclosing a page from Tabuchi book indicating the VIN numbers. They were NOT make sequentially. Sometimes those with lower numbers are later cars. So what is the VIN [AR10204*_ _ _ _ _*] Is the engine okay?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2ltr vin numbers.pdf (1.01 MB, 160 views)

[B]JAY NUXOLL [/B][EMAIL="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"], seriously Alfa diseased and ancient OLD Two Liter Lover, put together Seattle area's Northwest Alfa Romeo Club in 1965, and still feebly tries to tend a teeny sacred flame to his serpent mistress in the [B]ALFA G'RAJ MAHAL[/B], a home garage temple with more Alfa cars and parts than he dare list because of the disapproval of his shamed and chagrined family. (425) 641-2600.
post #30 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 07:44 AM

Parts catalogue

Bonjour Serge,

J'ai un catalogue original (italien) avec tous les nombres des parts pour le 102/2000. Ma voiture est 00218, c'est blanche. Si vous voulez, on peut me contacter direct a oneill8d@gmail.com.

Cordialement, Des (J'aime la region Pyrenees-Atlantiques).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode