2600 Sprint Steering box - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

2600 Sprint Steering box

I have been wanting to refurbish my RHD steering box and I tracked down a set of parts in the UK which included a new RHD worm and new roller. Unfortunately when it arrived it turned out to be a LHD worm but by the time I discovered this my steering box was completely dismantled.
Can anyone please provide me with a lead on a RHD worm as my old worm is in very poor condition (chipped teeth and case hardening gone) and I do want to get the car back on the road ASAP.

Thanks

Paul

Paul
1973 Alfa Romeo 2000 GTV and 1964 Alfa Romeo 2600 Sprint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 03:16 PM

Steering box

Paul

You have a real challenge here - RHD worm and rollers are now in the hens teeth league now or unobtanium. With so few RHD cars made there are few around. The original Gemmer spares were bought up by a UK owner years ago and used on various 2600s . The norm is to find other old boxes and make the best of them, which is what I did .

I have heard of the worn part of the worm being welded , ground and polished. But yours sounds too damaged for this.

The remaining route is to replace with an alternative box - a ZF box from a Volvo 142

102 Steering box conversion

Steering gear upgrade

Search Volvo on this board and you will find details,

I have also seen a sprint in Australia converted to a steering rack , but this involved raising the engine and did not look elegant .

good luck
Ian

Last edited by Redmerlin; 03-13-2015 at 03:21 PM.
post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Ian
I am aware of the Volvo possibilities and I also drew the same conclusion as you about the steering rack conversion down south of me here. The company that sent me the wrong worm are also trying to correct the situation but I am not confident given the rarity involved.

Hopefully someone out there will have something for me if I am patient.

Paul

Paul

post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

Early Ford V8 Gemmer Steering

Hi all -the hunt continues. I read somewhere that some Ford vehicles in the 50's had a version of a Gemmer Steering box so I did a bit of surfing and I found this website selling worms and rollers for Ford boxes that look remarkably like our Alfa Romeo items.
Early Ford Store of Ca - Early_Ford_Parts New and Used Original Parts for 1928-1959 Cars & Trucks

I have sent them an email asking them to compare dimensions etc. Has anyone else followed this line of enquiry before?

Paul
post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 02:48 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
I'm trying to understand why the worm would be different for LHD versus RHD boxes ... confused?
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 10:15 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Qld....

San Dimas is just a few hundred miles south of me. I'll call them next week and see whet I can find out. I've got at least 3 different variations of the worm and sector for 1900-102-106 cars. I've got some nearly-perfect but used replacement parts, but would like to investigate new ones, for obvious reasons.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

RHD Worm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
I'm trying to understand why the worm would be different for LHD versus RHD boxes ... confused?
Pete
A RHD vs a LHD box casting is on the opposite side (they both go on the inside of the chassis rail) and therefore the worm turns the opposite way. This photo should explain.
Attached Images

Paul
post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPeterson3 View Post
Qld....

San Dimas is just a few hundred miles south of me. I'll call them next week and see whet I can find out. I've got at least 3 different variations of the worm and sector for 1900-102-106 cars. I've got some nearly-perfect but used replacement parts, but would like to investigate new ones, for obvious reasons.
I have sent them an email asking to give me the dimensions for the clockwise worms they have (which seem to be for pickups). I am not expecting them to be exactly the same as ours but if they are close enough we could be lucky.

Paul
post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 09:29 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I have just ordered one from the supplier and will compare it to the one I am presently rebuilding, as soon as it arrives I will advise as to the fit.
John
63 2600 Spider
post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 09:43 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
As a cautionary note...

I know you're working on a RHD, so this may not apply.

I've got 4 LHD boxes at present. If memory serves, 3 of them have a 2 groove/3 ridge sector gear, and the other has a 1 groove, 2 ridge sector. There are at least two different worm gear shaft ODs. None of the worm gears will match up with a sector from a different set.

However, measuring by eyeball, it looks like matched gear sets might replace another set, so long as the input (worm) shaft sizes match.

I looked at the referenced supplier web page, and see they offer some sector gears as well. If you find the worm you ordered fits your shaft and box dimensions, but isn't a happy mate to the sector, perhaps another Ford piece will bring it good. When I get home I'm going to look into this, partly In hopes the bearings they offer will fit as well.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #11 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 12:08 PM

Marles steering boxes

There is a source here for bearings

Bearing GEMMER steering box - Marles Steering Box

Also if you work through the website some good technical stuff on steering boxes

Look under parts list other - the worms he lists are LHD units from Afra in Italy . not as post above interchangeable with RHD

Last edited by Redmerlin; 03-15-2015 at 12:26 PM.
post #12 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 12:17 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by qld gtv View Post
A RHD vs a LHD box casting is on the opposite side (they both go on the inside of the chassis rail) and therefore the worm turns the opposite way. This photo should explain.
Thanks. I'll try and process that upstairs and come to an understanding.

At the moment all I can think is that when I turn the steering wheel to the right, the steering box rotates clockwise pushing the back of the left wheel out and pulling the back of the right wheel in. That does not change if the car is LHD or RHD ...

Maybe when I rebuild my GTV steering box it will make sense
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #13 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 05:07 PM

I have a spare RHD steering box which is currently being refurbished by Simon at Steering Services in Dorking. He is going to use a Steering kit from Marles and reuse the original worm, which is slightly pitted but hopefully still serviceable. My only option really with no worms available any where.

I hope this will be a great improvement on the box I have in my car, which gives me awful steering wobble if I hit a bump in the road.

I may ask him to hold off on the rebuild with news of this possible replacement worm. It does look very similar to my unit but I guess only actual comparison will prove either way.

Simon could get me a new worm manufactured but the cost of a 1 off is prohibitive, maybe if all us poor RHD owners could get together a group purchase could be an option for the future.
post #14 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 12:49 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Someone should try to contact John Mayhead, who used to own Alfa Retro (now defunct). I seem to recall that he bought some brand new worms and rollers from a friend of mine about three years ago. He's no longer in the business but still appears to be doing something on Facebook. Might be worth a try?

I'm pretty sure that Tandler Precision made a run of LHD worms for one of the German Alfa clubs several years ago.

[FONT="Georgia"][/FONT]
to all parts I have advertised on the BB so far. Plenty more! Just ask.

Last edited by Alex; 03-16-2015 at 01:37 AM.
post #15 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 03:28 AM

Alfaretro

OK I'll contact John . through my AROC UK article he has contacted me offering to sell on his old stock

Ian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode