2600 Sprint Steering box - Page 6 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 03:53 AM Thread Starter

Steering Box Rebuild

Good Point Don, I will try to simplify what I have learnt but this whole subject is rather complex.

1. We now know of 2 suppliers. Macs Auto Parts MACs Antique Auto Parts - Classic & Antique Ford Parts - Macs Auto Parts and Early Ford Parts Early Ford Store of CA - Antique Ford Parts - Used Original, NOS & Reproduction parts-1928-1972 Southern California Vintage Ford Parts -Restoration or a Hot Rod. The good news is they appear to use the same underlying part numbers.

2. Forget about asking for LHD or RHD for the reason I explained in the thread. You need to know whether you car needs a clockwise scroll worm or an anti clockwise scroll worm. A RHD 2600 Sprint needs a clockwise scroll worm and LHD an anticlockwise scroll worm. I suspect 1900s and 2000s will be the same but please check.

3. The photos they use on their websites are generic so you must ask the questions and I asked Macs to send me a photo of the actual part which they were able to do. These people are selling Ford parts NOT Alfa parts so you must do the research and ask the questions.

4. It is very hard to be specific about part numbers as there are so many variations in Alfa boxes. Some have 3 ridge rollers and some have 2 ridge rollers. Some roller pins are .442 (my 2600 Sprint) and perhaps some are .472?

5. The worm which fitted my RHD Sprint 2600 is part number 78-3524.

6. I already had two brand new 3 ridge rollers but I determined that Macs 8A-3575-X is the correct roller but when I ordered one to check it was out of stock and still is unfortunately. I note that Redmerlins friend Steve had success with the roller part number AB-3575-X which has the larger pin size.

7.Bearings are also available from this source. In the case of Early Ford Parts they sell a rebuild kit which includes bearings.

7. My suggestion is to determine what you need and contact Macs or Early Ford with the dimensions, photos etc. Once they got over the fact that I was looking to buy Ford parts to use in another vehicle they were quite helpful.

Lets hope that some other BBers will report their findings and achievements with steering box refurbishing. I can assure you that the car is very pleasant to drive with a steering box in good condition.

Paul
1973 Alfa Romeo 2000 GTV and 1964 Alfa Romeo 2600 Sprint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 07:13 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I have 3 steering boxes that have been sitting dismantled on my bench for at least 3 or 4 years. I have enough "good used serviceable" worm and sector sets to complete the rebuild, but when I started I quickly ran into snags, so just set it all aside for another day. The box in my car is a fresh FNM that works fine, so the motivation is low.

I asked once before on this thread what is the method for removing the sector pin, but received no reply. I'd rather not damage something irreplaceable.

The three boxes are coming closer to the top of the to-do list. I'll be happy to report back what I discover during the process. I'd rather use new gears over "original used good", even though I paid a lot for the original gear sets.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #78 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Pin Removal

Don,

I remember you asking that question. I did not reply because mine was not standard (well I don't think it is).

My car was restored in the late 90's by the previous owner and he told me they found a new roller but could not source a RHD worm at the time. When I dismantled mine I found the pin was spot welded at both ends to keep it in place. I doubt this was factory! But then it is an Alfa.

I ground off the weld and the pin then just tapped out. As I could see no other way of holding it in I replaced the spot welds and I could feel my dear Dads disapproving look as I did it. Please let us know what you find inside yours in due course.

Incidently my car is reputed to have only 80000km under its belt but the worm was completly flogged out!

Paul

post #79 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 07:01 AM

Steering box original kits

Full kits are now on offer from CHS

ventas@chsauto.com

The last email I have from them is

Nowadays the cost of the kit is of usd 365,00
The freight via courier ( like UPS, Fedex, etc..) door to door is about usd 170,00. (We will need your city and country destination for diving an exact quote)

The steering kit we manufacture is for the Steering gear box with casting marks :
GEMMER FRANCE
50 01 AR5

and the cover is marked : 50 10 AR

Maybe the 50 01 AR10 & 50 10 AR5 boxes are the same but I don´t know it exactly.
Attached we are sending a photo of the steering kit that we are offering you.
Please note the left hand spiral or thread of the steering worm.
We also can supply you the steering worm with right hand thread.
Awaiting your news.

Best regards.
Ricardo Cavallero jr..

RICARDO CAVALLERO S.R.L.
"Steering Parts & Systems"
Bahía Blanca 1070 - C1407ABT - Buenos Aires - Argentina
Tel./Fax : 0054 - 11 - 4636 1547 / 4636 1507
Attached Images

post #80 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Nicely done Ian, that is a anti clockwise worm (lhd) but they say they have clockwise as well. We seem to have found the final solution!

Paul
post #81 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 05:35 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I think the next step is to compile a list of "box numbers", and compare what was in them, or perhaps more importantly, what CHS units will serve each. I'll jot down my numbers tomorrow. As I think I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread (I'm sure you all remember), one of my input shafts is slightly smaller than the others, or one set of gears is slightly larger than the other. I forget which. Anyway, I built up a box with the mismatch and drove it for a while, but when I got my FNM box, I took it all apart.

I like the look of the above kit. How did we miss knowing about this so long?

It bears discovering whether the above input shaft is bored hollow for the horn wire or not. If not, perhaps they'll make a batch for us?

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #82 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 11:23 PM

Has anyone tried these CHS kits, my box is very notchy and does not inspire any confidence so needs a re-build.

Thanks,

Andrew
post #83 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 08:29 AM

Question New steering box Kits

While browsing Ebay UK I came cross the following ad - basically new kits for 2000 and 2600 steering boxes RH and LH for £750

ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-ROMEO-2000-and-2600-steering-box-kit-right-hand-drive-/162398195135?hash=item25cfafcdbf:g:gW8AAOSwB-1YsWuI]ALFA ROMEO 2000 and 2600 steering box kit (right hand drive) | eBay

There was also a link to marlessteeringbox.com which explains something about the company

I'm not connected with the company but at some point I will need to overhaul my steering box which is a Ruddspeed conversion - to me it looks like the left hand steering box swapped to the right side
post #84 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 09:04 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfalesant View Post
While browsing Ebay UK I came cross the following ad - basically new kits for 2000 and 2600 steering boxes RH and LH for £750

ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-ROMEO-2000-and-2600-steering-box-kit-right-hand-drive-/162398195135?hash=item25cfafcdbf:g:gW8AAOSwB-1YsWuI]ALFA ROMEO 2000 and 2600 steering box kit (right hand drive) | eBay

There was also a link to marlessteeringbox.com which explains something about the company

I'm not connected with the company but at some point I will need to overhaul my steering box which is a Ruddspeed conversion - to me it looks like the left hand steering box swapped to the right side
If you haven't already, you might read through this thread, as it provides details on obtaining the CHS rebuild kits, which sound to be first rate, and at only a fraction of the price you mention. I need to kick myself to order a couple before the source vanishes. Such things happen, after all.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #85 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 12:53 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfalesant View Post

Good stuff. Here's the picture from the eBay auction (interesting to compare it with the CHS kit shown in a post further above).

Name:  Marles RHD steering box kir - s-l1600 (700 wide).jpg
Views: 73
Size:  49.3 KB

-Ruedi
'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, now a restomod in Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).
post #86 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baysideboy View Post
Has anyone tried these CHS kits, my box is very notchy and does not inspire any confidence so needs a re-build.
I have and I'm very happy.

Of course, the steering box is not yet installed into the car (the car is far from being able to run) but the kit is in very good quality.

The main difference with what is usually sold are :
  • Adjustment shims,
  • Maine shaft with the worms installed (that is very important because in others kits, this shaft is missing and you have to recover the orignal one that is very hard to do)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode