alfa 2000 2600 steeringbox - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

alfa 2000 2600 steeringbox

Hi All,

I am rebuilding my 2000 Touring spider steeringbox

I am looking for a repair manual and also searching for the numbers/dimensions of the bearings and seals

rgds Franco

Last edited by franco-veloce; 04-11-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Hi All,

I have found all numbers/dimensions of the original Timken bearings and seals

and now I am going to make NEW worm and roller set

is someone interested in a NEW worm and roller set ?

rgds Franco
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 03:28 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
My interest depends heavily on price. So, generally interested: Yes -- but only if it comes close to Ford, etc gear discussed elsewhere.

As for the bearings and seals, I think finding a better-than-original bottom seal (that lasts longer) would help a great deal.

-Ruedi
'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, now a restomod in Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Hi Ruedi,

FYI

I bought a "ford " worm

but this did not fit to my 2000 and 2600 steering box ..............

rgds Franco
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 03:50 PM

Hi Franco, I would be interested in at least two sets, thanks Leigh
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 02:28 AM

Keeping a 2600 Steering box oil tight

Reudi,
In my old thread on 2600 Steering box rebuilds I discussed the use of Penrite Steering Box Lube as a way to lubricate the steering box without leaks from the seal.
2600 Sprint Steering box I have done about 2500 kms now with no leaks and a very smooth steering box.

Regards
Paul

Paul
1973 Alfa Romeo 2000 GTV and 1964 Alfa Romeo 2600 Sprint
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qld gtv View Post
I have done about 2500 kms now with no leaks and a very smooth steering box.
+1

I have Penrite semi fluid oil in my steering box : That works perfectly and not leak so far ...
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 09:18 AM

Is there any experience in ordering or using the rebuild kits supplied from Argentina ? Many thanks Leigh
Attached Images

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 10:10 AM

I have not used the source I quoted as the box I have works.

They do seem to be the soure of Gemmer gears etc
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 10:24 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
We're probably all circling the black-hole of confusion on this, but without much focus toward resolution.

It appears, but I'm not certain, that different boxes used different versions of the two gears. Wouldn't it be nice if RHD and LHD each had one set, and off we go? Alas, that is not the case. The three boxes I'm working on all have differences between them that disallow any swapping of parts. I've purchased two used but very good gear sets over the years to use in an effort to build up 2 or 3 good boxes. I would have been (and still am) happy to try some of the Ford stuff to see if I can make it work.

My hunch is that we need to compile a list of the different box numbers, and describe what is found inside, and see if we can establish the correlation. From that, perhaps we can work with the Gemmer folks to arrange an interchange, or to determine if some boxes can be served by the new Gemmer stuff and which cannot. I WILL contribute to this list, but at the moment I'm wrapping up my Montreal restoration, and converting my Touring 2300 to larger carbs and hotter cams. The next thing after those will be to spread out my steering box project and make notes.

To bring this together, we'll need everyone who can to add their details as well.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 04:31 PM
Gold Subscriber

I am a little late to the party but I have my box apart for rebuild and can provide whatever information from it that would be helpful. Since this is my one and only box, I don't know what variations exist or what specific information/measurements should be recorded. Does anyone have some thoughts on this?

'68 BMW 1600
'02 BMW R1100S
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 02:14 PM

Steering box comparison - post 1

Picking up on Don's point, I had both of my steering boxes in pieces and since they are different models I thought it would be useful to post comparative pictures. My 1960 2000 spider didn't arrive with a box of it's own and so I'm not sure which year/model might be correct for each box, perhaps others could comment on that. I took 6 pictures of each box, one box is shot with an orange background, the other with a white background. The box with the orange background has part number (V5001AR4) has the yellow painted dot that has been mentioned in other posts and has 4 1/8 turns from lock to lock. The other box (V5001AR5) has 5 1/4 turns. If you look closely there are shoulders inside the casting that limit travel and they are set further back in the box with the white background. The pictures are spread over 3 posts.
Attached Images

86 GTV6 (RHD), 60 Touring 2000 Spider and 59 Giulietta spider race car
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 02:22 PM

Steering box comparison - post 2

Here's the internal shots showing end-stops for rotation and the lettering on the back of the spindle. Once again, the orange and white backgrounds correspond to the two different models of steering box and are consistent across my three posts on the subject.
Attached Images

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 02:32 PM

Steering box comparison - post 3

Finally, here's the shots of the spindle gear and the worm gear. As in my other two posts the orange and white backgrounds correspond to the two different models of steering box.

Richard
Attached Images

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 01:28 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Gemmer variations

Here's some fairly random pics of my stuff.

In addition to the modified FNM box I'm driving with, I have these three originals. There appear to be two different types, two of one, and one of the other.

I currently have one assembled and two dismantled boxes. I was operating the assembled one until I realized that the drive shaft was a too-loose fit in the worm gear, and so would slide out if not held in place by the steering shaft. I decided that could lead to undesired consequence. This box was assembled with pieces from all three, so I suspect there are more than two variations, even within a box with the same exterior number. I don't recall at the moment if the sector in my assembled box is a two-ridge or three-ridge. Yet to be determined.

I have two gear sets, one two-ridge, the other three-ridge, that were sold to me as "good-used". They certainly appear to have less erosion and wear than the ones that came out of my boxes. I have not yet attempted to assemble any of these, and since the Argentine stuff has appeared, I'm inclined to go that way in any case.

At this point, I'm working on a couple of hard-tops, so these are still a little down the list - but much closer to the top than they were. Perhaps we can get some more definition on which Argentine kits fit which boxes before I dive into these.
Attached Images

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode