2600 wheels - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 234 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 05:00 PM

Hi Schaapm,
Are these Technomagnesio a latter day Campagnolo?.............I had no idea that these wheels could be had with the "proper" bolt pattern! They look GREAT, but the tyre shown appears to be a high profile "Bias ply" example,
perhaps to increase the rolling diameter to that of the 165 x 400 Radial.
To my mind, this wheel will be perfect if available in a 16" diameter.
Would you be able to obtain that information, and post it?
Cheers, Adrian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 234 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 09:24 PM

The technos are gorgeous and used to be available for the 2600 but to my knowledge are no longer.

Promised a while ago to provide info on some BMW rims that fit 1900/2000/2600.

Here is a set of those wheels on e-bay
http://cgi.ebay.de/4x-Stahlfelgen-BM...QQcmdZViewItem

They are 6x15 with a 42mm offset 5-hole 120mm bolt circle.

Picture below and those rims mounted on a 1900 with 185/70-15 Avons.The car pictured was running 2600 hubs and uprights with larger non-stock vented discs and regular drums in the rear.
Attached Images

post #48 of 234 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 04:44 PM

I thought that 2000/2600 have 5 X 114.3 (or 5 X 4.5") bolt pattern... The picture of the 2600 sprint on the post #19 shows that toyota wheels (5 X 114.3) do work on the 2000/2600. Am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleggerita
Promised a while ago to provide info on some BMW rims that fit 1900/2000/2600.

Here is a set of those wheels on e-bay
http://cgi.ebay.de/4x-Stahlfelgen-BM...QQcmdZViewItem

They are 6x15 with a 42mm offset 5-hole 120mm bolt circle.

Picture below and those rims mounted on a 1900 with 185/70-15 Avons.The car pictured was running 2600 hubs and uprights with larger non-stock vented discs and regular drums in the rear.

Taiga "Tiger" Inoue

post #49 of 234 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger0529
I thought that 2000/2600 have 5 X 114.3 (or 5 X 4.5") bolt pattern... The picture of the 2600 sprint on the post #19 shows that toyota wheels (5 X 114.3) do work on the 2000/2600. Am I missing something?
Tiger, you are correct. I remember now that the hubs/brakes on the car were re-engineered/re-drilled for the larger bolt circle. It is running BMW 3-series vented front discs with a different caliper. Rears are original drums.
post #50 of 234 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

I have been in touch with Dayton wheels regarding wires for the 2600 spider;

they sent me a measurement sheet, the purpose of which is to ascertain various dimensions and clearances necessary for their wire wheels. I've completed the measurements and their engineer is taking a look at them now;

My interest is in their knock-off wheel which uses a hub adapter (adds only 1/8" to the offset)

I hope to hear something next week. I will post what I find out.

David

'74 GTV, '64 2600 Spider
www.Alfa-Owners.org
post #51 of 234 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 03:01 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Thanks David.

Please keep in mind that each Borrani hub added 1-1/4 inch to the track width (2-1/2 inch total). So, a longer hub adapter may go a long way towards clearing brake calipers and fins.

-Ruedi
'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, now a restomod in Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).
post #52 of 234 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

I received an update from Dayton as follows: they can do a 16" wire wheel in a "well lace" design, 72 spoke, tube type, knock-off wheel. In my eye, the "well lace" looks similar to the Borrani wheel typically used on Ferraris of the era: the spokes are atttached to the wheel at a point set in quite a bit from the outside of the rim. so there is a fair amount of chrome rim showing.

1. Should I anticipate any problems using a modern 205-65 16 tubeless tire with a tube? I thought I had been told at one point that installers won't use a tube with a tubeless tire.

2. Although beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I would appreciate any comments on this type of wheel.

with appreciation,

David
Attached Images

'74 GTV, '64 2600 Spider
www.Alfa-Owners.org
post #53 of 234 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
I recall from a discssion with my brother, an automobile engineer with experience in both wheel and tire design, that he strongly advised to NOT use tubes in tubeless tires. I recall the main issues are:

(a) Tubeless tires have a different (more rectangular) cross-section profile that tires designed for tubes. The tube will not fit properly inside a tubeless tire and would be significantly and dangerously stretched.

(b) Tubeless tires are held in place by the pressure. Tubes prevent an even distribution of pressure, and result in insufficient friction at the lip of the rim.

(c) Tires are distorted when they roll. This build up heat taht must be dissipated. Tubes would rub against the tire walls, creating more heat and possibly weakening the tube relatively quickly. A side effect would be that tire pressure will change significantly with the temparature change.

-Ruedi
'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
post #54 of 234 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Dayton Update

Dayton has clarified the wheel situation;

The wheels ARE tubeless style (a sealed rim) Dayton # kw16x6 d-3.38 72s as shown in previous pic.

It's a 16 x 6, knock off design using a hub adapter. Wires are stainless steel, the rim is "quad plated chrome" steel. The wires are alleged to never need adjustment, thus eliminating the most frustrating aspect of wire wheel ownership. ( the frustration of cleaning them still remains!)

Spinners can be either: 2 ear round or straight, or 3 ear and can have logos or not.

Tires will be 205 65 16 with a o.d. of 26.5 or 26.6 depending on manufacturer

Ruedi, I appreciate your confirmation of the incompatabiliity of tubes and modern tires.

David

'74 GTV, '64 2600 Spider
www.Alfa-Owners.org
post #55 of 234 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 04:33 PM

Hi David,
I think the wires would be great on the Spider, BUT not on the Sprint, in my opinion a "disc" wheel in the original style lends itself visually to compliment the "Bertone" design........(Gigiuaro?)
I must compliment you on the research, time and effort you have spent on this seemingly endless quest.
Cheers, Adrian
post #56 of 234 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Adrian;

an update: a former 2000 Spider owner who is has been in the wheel/tire business for years has pointed out to me the one drawback of the Dayton wheels: weight. With chrome steel rims and stainless wires the wheels are sure to be very heavy (I've asked Dayton for a weight...am waiting for a response).

As has been previously pointed out, Borranis are available but I've confirmed that the hub conversion+ wheels are approaching $10k. ( for 4 wheels)

The intermediate (price-wise) solution appears to be the Re-originals setup which includes new spline hubs and 5 wheels listed as "alloy wire wheels" , available in a 16 x 5 1/2 size.

I've requested more info and photos from them and will post when available.

David

'74 GTV, '64 2600 Spider
www.Alfa-Owners.org
post #57 of 234 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 11:17 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
I've been on Re-originals waiting list for these wire wheels for about 5 years.
The previous owner of my car was on it for 7.
I don't think it's ever going to happen.

-Ruedi
post #58 of 234 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

hmmmmm.......

Dayton makes spline wheels that are alloy rim, stainless spokes for Ferraris...Borrani knock-off, knock-offs.... sort of. (an awful pun )

If they could do the same style for Alfa's, then the hubs are the part we need and need a source for...

David

'74 GTV, '64 2600 Spider
www.Alfa-Owners.org
post #59 of 234 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

Here is the reply I have from Matt at Re originals. He needs a run of 25 sets:

Hi David! Here's the latest info on the wheels. We started 5 years ago collecting names of guys who wanted a set of wheels. We knew, to be able to offer 5 alloy rim wheels, 4 correct two-eared knockoffs and 4 bolt on splined hubs we would need to manufacture 100 wheels to get the cost down to a reasonable level. At that quantity this is the type of project that Vikki and I would do a short term mortgage on the house and get it done. Recently, after getting all the details worked out and getting ready to order the whole lot, all from different manufacturers, by the way, many of the 2000 and 2600 owners who had placed orders over the years, had some reason to not want them any more. Some still did and were wiling to come up with 50% of $5400 to allow us to proceed. However, not enough of the ones I called were still in need and I have become discouraged. The project is still quite viable and I'm still willing to do it.
If you are willing to ask all those who say they want a set if the final $5400 price is OK and the 50% down payment is also OK, I'm happy to get back into the project. The hard work has been done. Borrani wants $9200 for the same pieces to do this same project. I was able to get much better prices by going to the actual manufacturing facilities that make the various components. Once the splined wheel hubs are made, I will order extra so that they will also be available separately.
I'm inclined to make all of them 5.5 X 16 as there are more tire selections available in that size. It's only 1/4 inch larger than the 165 X 400 so visually it will not be noticeable. If however, more people want the 165 X 400 size, we might be able to do that also.
By the way I have 1 set of new 4 165 X 400 Pirelli Cinturato tires of the correct vintage tread pattern in stock. More may become available if Pirelli decides to make them again. That would be next year in any case.
Hope this helps somewhat. Let me know your thoughts on all this. I'm here to help. Ciao! Matt

25 sets seems like a big nut to me.....

Thoughts anyone?

'74 GTV, '64 2600 Spider
www.Alfa-Owners.org
post #60 of 234 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 01:30 AM

Hi guys,
Well since I'm hip deep in this "Wheel thing", I should stand up and say that the wire wheel just won't work on a Sprint,( As far as I'm concerned).
However, the combination of a hard top on either the 2000 or 2600 Spider with wires, is a stunning sight, and Matt should be rewarded for his diligence,
(and patience!) so that receptive Spider owners could avail them selves of these jewels.
I do agree that the 5.5 x 16" is the correct choice, as obviously the 400 x 165 would be redundant.(Isn't that what we're trying to escape from?)
It's a pity that I still have a set of Alfa splined adapters and "Knock-offs, and a hard top, but unfortunately the 2600 Spider has been sold, and the 2000 Spider is beyond human endevour. (Yes Jay, even by me!)....And so,
"Once more into the breach, dear friends."
Cheers, Adrian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode