Hardtop - Page 6 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPeterson3 View Post
How many different rear windows are there for 2000 and 2600 hard tops? I am guessing at least four...

Jay's suspicion that a single blank might be molded, and then cut down to suit the smaller windows strikes me as wishful thinking.

I've the rear window out of my top, which I believe to be a Mk1 version for the 2000. I don't mind making a mold, but just exactly how does one make a mold that suits a commercial fabricator?
Yes, I agree with the above: at least 3 or 4 variations & some wishful thinking; definitely tempered glass...I do believe that Larry's 'mold' is really a pattern made of fiberglass. The window manufacturer would probably have to make the actual mold from the pattern.

There is some degree of confusion over which hardtop window mold Larry actually has since his top required some degree of modification to fit his 2600. His top looks just like the one on my Two-liter (series 2) and his window had the exact same information etched into the glass (perhaps they all do?).

I'm not interested in heating and bending my perfectly good screen.

The process Ruedi described, involving heating and bending glass would be used to make a new formed window; not to make a mold or pattern. However, I do believe there is some relatively small amount of heat given off by the curing fiberglass that made Larry a little uncomfortable about the process. Still it would be great to have a mold for the Series 1 & Series 2 or 3? windows! It would be nice to think that Larry and you, should you decide to produce a mold or pattern, would be reimbursed for your mold making expenses. So far I have come close to breaking two very rare and difficult to find rear windows. It would be nice to know that a replacement window was at least a possibility.

Here are a couple of motivational clips on replacing the rear window:

One clip showing how a window glass is made.

Corvette hardtops are available from between 3,500 and $6,000 depending on the model. Rear windows run $200-300 each and complete rebuild kits cost about $1,200.

http://www.thehardtopshop.com/catego...-purchase.html

Mark

Last edited by IRONBLOCK; 03-18-2017 at 11:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:32 AM

Larry sent me his mold

Larry's mold measurements, once I got the mold from him, showed me that the 2600 series one rear hardtop window (while it might look almost identical) is at least two inches lower in height than my two liter hard top. That confirmed to me my suspicions. A very good friend of mine here in the Seattle area had a two liter hard top that he wanted to put on his 2600. It had no glass, but he was able somehow to get a brand new 2600 series one replacement glass. No, I do NOT know where he got the replacement glass, but it did NOT fit because the hole in his two liter series two hard top was taller than the 2600 series one glass. So I clearly understand and have seen the difference.

Secondly, despite DPETERSON3'S comment, Larry did indeed have a 2600 series one hardtop on his 2600. I know that because I one tried to furnish an original member of the Northwest Alfa Romeo Club, John Mendenhasll (RIP), one of what was at that time an extra two liter hard top of mine for his 2600. We could NOT make it fit because the rear deck of a 2600 bows up higher in the middle than the rear deck of a two liter. We could bolt down only one side. To grind down the two liter top to fit the higher 2600 rear deck would have required grinding away almost to the bottom of the glass itself.

I could see form Larry's photos of his car that his top was not that ground down, nor were there additions pieces building up on the side to provide more top to fit to the body there. Consequently, I say categorically that a two liter hard top cannot be made to fit a 2600. And if a 2600 top were to be fitted to a two liter there would have to be strange strange additions as well as grindings as to maie it, in my opinion, also impossible.

I well understand the desire for a real glass rear window. However, that would require a mold for EACH of the four types of hard tops because cutting glass once sized for one to fit another would be foolish and dicey at best, probably nigh impossible in fact.

My proposal is more realistic, and not all that revolting. I propose to make a slightly over-sized mold of my two liter rear hard top window the same way Larry made his (but maybe two inches larger on all sides), so plexiglass or some such aircraft window material could be properly bent that individual hard top owners of all four types could trim blanks make on it to fit any hard top. There is the hope that even the steeper 2x2 configuration hardtop of series two 2600 hardtop might be fitted in this manner. The two liter series two would be a snap, as well as both the series one of two liter and 2600 -- the amount of trimming just different.

But the idea of actually getting actual glass rear windows would require four different molds, in my opinion. As a final comment about glass versus plexiglas, I can only say that the reason so many hard tops are without glass rear windows is because they can be so easily broken when the top is taken off or being put on. All it takes is a drop or a twisting from being tightening down too violently without being carefully fitted. I believe the plexiglass would be (1) lighter, (2) sturdier, and (3) more realistic for Alfa lover who really would want to drive their cars sometimes with and sometimes without ardtop. Plexiglass can be shined up and marks removed by careful buffing and refinishing.

But I do confess I have been hesitant to have a mold made of my beautiful two liter hard top glass. I have promised several I will. And now that today is the first day of spring (I drove my spider over 100 miles through the beautiful Seattle area countryside yesterday with my Honeymom whose 80th birthday is TODAY). We are playing hookey today too. I am not going to do a lick of work in the office if I can only ignore the phones. Hooray for spring! May your Alfa run forever.

[B]JAY NUXOLL [/B][EMAIL="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"], seriously Alfa diseased and ancient OLD Two Liter Lover, put together Seattle area's Northwest Alfa Romeo Club in 1965, and still feebly tries to tend a teeny sacred flame to his serpent mistress in the [B]ALFA G'RAJ MAHAL[/B], a home garage temple with more Alfa cars and parts than he dare list because of the disapproval of his shamed and chagrined family. (425) 641-2600.
post #78 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:36 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
My memory must be failing.... I don't recall disputing this.

"Secondly, despite DPETERSON3'S comment, Larry did indeed have a 2600 series one hardtop on his 2600"

I'm not all that clear on what tops are what, but I'm open to learning.

By the way, might there be a 5th type? That would be for the very late 2000 whose rear seating area is constructed like a 2600, and so which might have a taller rear area for the hard top, but still have to fit the flatter rear deck area of the 2000? I dunno about this. Just guessing.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...

post #79 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 07:48 AM

Garage
Here is a photo of one of the Two-Liter hardtop side mounts. I suspect that these side mounts were owner or dealer installed items and wonder what other cars came with from the factory or are being used.

Name:  hardtop mount CI Two-Liter.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  35.1 KB

Also, a photo of the front mounting point/ sun visor mount is shown.

Name:  Touring hardtop mount sun visor mount.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  26.8 KB

Mark
post #80 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 10:12 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Mark,

I had vaguely assumed that each hardtop was made to order along with its accompanying car. It seems entirely probable that the various curves and dimensions were not perfectly identical from car to car, and fitting the top as the build-order rolled down the line would make sense.

Or - they just bashed out tops and shipped them onward as ordered.

Drilling the holes in the upper body work would be pretty exciting for a dealer to do, given the fairly lofty prices these were offered at in the day. I must admit, my enthusiasm for my factory top restoration has somewhat waned as I consider the need for that hole. The fiberglass top doesn't need the hole, but there are, of course, the POCF considerations.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode