Hardtop - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 04:11 PM

Garage
Twas the Night before ICD...

Reunited after 15 years of suspended animation... due to heavy rains, the Atlanta Italian Car Day had to be postponed for three weeks.

Thanks to comments made by forum members regarding hardtops and with 30 degree weather in the forcast, a decision was made to show the Touring Roadster this year complete with hardtop. The Roadster has historically done well at this annual show and I wondered how the car would be received as a coupe.

The car ran well until we hit some 'bumper to bumper' traffic on I-75 just north of Atlanta. It sputtered and died once in the heavy traffic and we dove for the next exit; then we saw a large front heading in from the east. We started to head for home but the Alfa seemed to run better so we continued towards the show venue.

At one point, I though we'd be overtaken by two Lamborghini Aventadores with wild 'day glow yellow and day glow green' paint jobs. We managed to 'hold them off' when they exited the freeway one ramp before overtaking us! Wow, what a sight -they looked like two highway stealth fighters, in day glow paint.

Fortunately we made the 60 mile round trip without incident and the Touring Alfa was well received at the show...unfortunately I waited until all the other cars had left to take a picture.

Name:  ICD Garage 11-21-15.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  38.1 KB

Mark

Last edited by IRONBLOCK; 11-23-2015 at 03:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 01:44 PM

Garage
Here is the rear window I.D. on a Touring 'Two Liter' Roadster's removable Hardtop:

Name:  Hard Top I.D. for Two Liter Touring.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  42.0 KB

Would others with Touring hardtops please list a photo of their hardtops I.D. and reference which type of car and top it fits? ie.,

Two Liter series 1
Two Liter series 2
2600 series 1
2600 series 2

I believe this information will help us identify the different hardtop/ windows that were available. It may also be 'remotely' possible for Securit to re-manufacture these 55 year old rear windows, or not.

Mark
post #48 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 05:38 AM
Gold Subscriber

Hello Mark,

I wonder how you got your picture so clear. But here is what I found on the glass of my all original 2600 series 1 hardtop glass.

1 Securit Y
IGM 0593 VT
PLATE AS 2

So it is very likely that the later two liter hardtops had the same rear window as the earlier 2600 hardtops. Sounds pretty logic to me from an efficiency point of view.
This is the best picture I managed to take. I hope it serves the purpose.

Karel
Attached Images

Last edited by karel deppe; 12-03-2015 at 05:42 AM.

post #49 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 07:53 AM

Some gave me this for flatter series 1 two liter

Rear window (smaller) for two liter spider hardtop:
Email to factory: Sekurit@saint.gobain.com

Wondered if might also fit some other vehicle because the order
was dated 3/11/55

Sekurit-1GM 1273 VP
AW 2

However I contacted Sekurit. They said they would never be interested setting up for any number so small as 12. They, however, do have all specs yet.

COMMENT: So strange. The new replacement rear glass that we got for lst series 2600 would not fit the second series 2000 top. It seemed to be too tall. However that particular hardtop had been restored completely without any glass, so perhaps it had been bounced or bumped around too much.

Consequently, I had planned on making the rear window blanks slightly larger out of lexan which I have been assured can be cut and shaped so as to provide possibilities of fitting even the second series 2600 tops too. I know of at least five rear windows needed as of now. It would be good to get a list of all interested.

I have contacted seven different companies in Seattle area so far and been turned down by four. The others are wanting to inspect the mold so they could measure the maximum dimensions we wish in relation to oven size. I am quite certain with all the lexan formers in the Seattle area making windows for Boeing planes or covers over Microsoft games or fishing boat windshields that it can be done here. We really are indebted to Larry Bono for making the mold from his glass window. I was fearful of doing that.

[B]JAY NUXOLL [/B][EMAIL="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"], seriously Alfa diseased and ancient OLD Two Liter Lover, put together Seattle area's Northwest Alfa Romeo Club in 1965, and still feebly tries to tend a teeny sacred flame to his serpent mistress in the [B]ALFA G'RAJ MAHAL[/B], a home garage temple with more Alfa cars and parts than he dare list because of the disapproval of his shamed and chagrined family. (425) 641-2600.
post #50 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 09:23 AM

Garage
Very interesting Karel; our rear windows have virtually the same information! I wonder if the 0593 is a date code for March 1959.
The photo took a few tries by the way. I could tap my cell phone screen, causing it to focus on the window 'print'. I did use the flash but 'cropped' the 'flash burn' out of the image.

Jay, by "Rear window (smaller) for two liter spider hardtop" are you referring to what we were calling the "Two Liter Series 1" window? I am sure it is smaller but do not know if it fits anything other than a Two Liter series 1. Perhaps a Giulia or Giulietta hard top could have the same window but usually that is not the Alfa way.

Also, I noticed that Classic Alfa carries several lexan windows on their site. Perhaps with enough orders (and Larry's form) they could be persuaded to make rear windows?
GL020/1 LEXAN LIGHTWEIGHT 4mm REAR WINDOW - ALL GTs - Classic Alfa

Mark
post #51 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 11:18 AM

Those numbers are the same as on my rear window, but they will not help. The same number is on my door windows too. This photo is the back side of my mold where I noted the numbers. Larry
Attached Images

1962 Alfa 2600 Spider, bought in 1970, sold in 2016.
1969 Porsche 912 Coupe owned since new.
post #52 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 01:00 PM
Gold Subscriber

I am puzzled. Could we ask Securite what these numbers mean ?
post #53 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 01:39 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I predict it is a safety/conformity rating required by their version of the DOT. Here in the US we require similar imprints stating that the glass meets a certain crash standard.

When I had new side glass made for my 102, the glass guy asked if I wanted the imprint. It was $40 extra, or something. I declined. Same glass, and unless the marking was exact as original "Securit" it would be meaningless for value.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #54 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 10:32 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
The "IGM" (for Ispettorato Generale della Motorizzazione, officially translated as General Inspectorate of Motor Vehicles, see this PDF file) number is the registration under which the glass was type approved and certified to be used in a road vehicle.

-Ruedi
'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, now a restomod in Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).

Last edited by tubut; 12-03-2015 at 10:38 PM.
post #55 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 04:46 AM
Gold Subscriber

Don, let me share a story with you.

Sometime in the mid sixties , when I drove a Fiat 1500 cabriolet with the rather special d.o.c. Osca engine I was offered a 2000 Spider. Maroon, with webers. The car scared me, the asking price was very much on the limit of spending capacity a young professional. The term Yup was still to be invented.
So my older brother bought the car. He had just sold his 1900 and wanted an open car.
The salesman told us the 2000 came from Belgium, but that the car was originally delivered in Italy to Paola Ruffo di Calabria, who later became Princess of Luik and eventually Queen Paola of Belgium. Paola was a blond beauty where one would expect a darker haired lady from Southern Italy. I am not much of a royalty fan but I must admit that they do select highly attractive ladies.

That the 2000 was offered for sale in Holland is not so strange. Our naughty Prince Bernhard drove an impressive number of Ferrari's. They were always sold to dealers outside Holland and were supposed not te be sold to Dutch citizens.

My brother had the 2000 a couple of years and used it as a daily transport in summer and spring. He had safety belts fitted and the engine compartment beautifully detailed and was proud and happy with the car.
Then one morning in spring some idiot with a Volkwagen bus made a stupid manouevre and crashed full speed in the side of the parked 2000. Insurance declared her total loss and my brother was so sad that he sold the wreck and later bought a Lancia Flaminia Coupe 3C. By the way also built by Touring if I remember well.

My brother passed away many years ago and recently I have asked his widow if there are still pictures somewhere of the 1900 and the 2000.

A few years later I did prefer the more beefy look of the 2600 and bought one. Moreover from a point of view of engineering I preferred the better balance of 6 cilinders. A 2600 cc engine was considered a big block in Europe in the sixties. The average European Fiat, Renault, Opel or even Alfa had between 1100 en maybe 1600 cc. I thought that the very elegant 2000 was the first production car with five forward gears.
DPeterson3 likes this.

Last edited by karel deppe; 12-04-2015 at 04:52 AM.
post #56 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 08:43 AM

Garage
Thanks Ruedi, you never cease to amaze me with what you can come up with! So much for wishful thinking.

'PLATE AS 2' must indicate something, I hope.
'autorità superiore higher authority' does not seem to fit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubut View Post
The "IGM" (for Ispettorato Generale della Motorizzazione, officially translated as General Inspectorate of Motor Vehicles
Mark
post #57 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 12:49 AM
Gold Subscriber

Rudi,

I could not agree more than with Mark.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Karel
post #58 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:57 AM

Garage
Searching for hardtop mounting photographs, using the 'Ruedi method' I found this thread.

Were any rear window's ever made with Larry's amazing mold?

Mark
post #59 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 01:47 PM

The only picture I have of my hardtop from approximately the same angle as Mark's picture in post #46 above shows that my 2600 top appears to have the rear window at the same angle rather than the more upright angle of some 2600s. This top did not come to me with the car and a lot of fitting was necessary so it may be incorrect for the 2600 but it looks almost as good as Mark's. Sadly for me, my 2600 is now with its new owner in Germany who, by the way, sent me a bottle of champagne for Christmas!
Larry Bono
Attached Images

1962 Alfa 2600 Spider, bought in 1970, sold in 2016.
1969 Porsche 912 Coupe owned since new.
post #60 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 11:43 AM

Garage
Here is a photo taken at an angle more similar Larry's hardtop:
Name:  Ironblock hard top fuzzy.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  41.6 KB

It is hard for me to believe that a Two-Liter hardtop could be made to fit a 2600, since the latter car has a vent window. Perhaps when Alfa made the 2600 with the vent window, the side window was shortened.

Here is a photo of the hardtop bracket mounting hardware that came to me with 00310
Name:  HT bracket.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  26.2 KB

Here is a photo of the hardtop front mounting bracket
Name:  Hard top latch.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  74.9 KB

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode