LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 08:21 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by karel deppe View Post
Yes Mark there are two different hardtops fitting the 2600
When I bought my second 2600 it came with what you seem to call the second type.
I sold it for Hfl 500 ( $ 145 at that time ) to a friend who has always been kind in helping me out with spares.
I hope I do not offend other owners, but I did not like that hardtop with the extended topline to the point that I thought it was a hand made one-off. I am not sure if the rear window was glass or plastic. However in this forum I learned it was made by Touring.
As you may seen from the pictures I kept the earlier one.
Karel,

Are you sure the hardtop you sold was a) steel, and b) made by Touring? I realize it's not important now, but the question of "how many types of tops did Touring make" can be confused if after market tops are included.

I own a hardtop for my 2000 that is made from fiberglass, and has a sharper transition between the roofline and window at the rear. This sounds somewhat like the top you sold. It was not made by Touring.

The curves-and-no-straight lines of the early tops are quite attractive. The entire 2600 was "updated" away from curves and more toward the 60's angularity. That's where design was going at the time.

I think whenever cars drift too far away from the basic shape of a woman, we lose something important.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 11:21 AM

Garage
Hi Karel,
Would you have a photograph of the top you sold for Hfl500?

I think whenever cars drift too far away from the basic shape of a woman, we lose something important. Maybe that is why the tipo 33 Stradale is so popular.

Name:  Tipo 33.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  102.1 KB
Mark

Last edited by IRONBLOCK; 11-17-2015 at 01:06 PM.
post #33 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 12:00 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONBLOCK View Post
Hi Karel,

I think whenever cars drift too far away from the basic shape of a woman, we lose something important. Maybe that is why the tipo 33 Stradale is so popular.

Attachment 903938
Mark
I rest my case....

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #34 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 01:02 PM
Gold Subscriber

Don,
I will call my friend that took over the hardtop and will try to find out what he did with it, I am not sure if he kept it.
Somewhere in this thread I have seen a picture of the hardtop we are discussing now.
post #35 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 01:27 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Don,
I will call my friend that took over the hardtop and will try to find out what he did with it, I am not sure if he kept it.
Somewhere in this thread I have seen a picture of the hardtop we are discussing now.
Karel,

It is not really all that important. I was trying to gently ensure that none of us confused Touring-made tops with aftermarket. Your comment saying you had "learned from this thread that your top was made by Touring" sounded like there might be some confusion.

I actually would have thought that the aftermarket tops were much more likely in the US rather than Europe, as we tend to rush into business with such things anytime there is a possible market opportunity. As the cars ended up being poor sellers, I expect there were some manufacturers who wish they had rushed more slowly.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #36 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 01:30 PM
Gold Subscriber

Don, I found the picture of the longer hardtop. Twoliterlover states ( nr 2 of 34) that it is the older type of hardtop. The black hardtop in the grass is the exactly like the one I sold.
The hardtop on Larry's lovely blue car is identical to my hardtop. I will try to make a picture from the same angle to see if the rear window is the same.

Btw, the chrome trim in the black hardtop is missing !
post #37 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 02:57 PM

Yes, two twoliter tops and two 2600 tops

But the mold from Larry should produce plexiglass shapes that could be used on both series one and series two of the two liter, and hopefully (possibly) also the earlier sleeker first series for 2600. Of the first dozen we assume we have seven two liter buyers already. The plexiglass can be carefully sawed to make the piece fit either of those. When we make the first one we will also check to see if there might be a version of the second 2600 made from the piece also. There is still just the little bit of fear that Larry actually managed to fit a two liter hard top to his 2600. The glass in the earlier style 2600 top might be actually a bit larger than his mold. We will see.

[B]JAY NUXOLL [/B][EMAIL="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"], seriously Alfa diseased and ancient OLD Two Liter Lover, put together Seattle area's Northwest Alfa Romeo Club in 1965, and still feebly tries to tend a teeny sacred flame to his serpent mistress in the [B]ALFA G'RAJ MAHAL[/B], a home garage temple with more Alfa cars and parts than he dare list because of the disapproval of his shamed and chagrined family. (425) 641-2600.
post #38 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 05:59 PM

Here is phoito of mold

Larry's mold looks good. Not sure yet if it has enough area for the fist series 2600 hard top. Although Larry has a 2600 spider, he indicates the top did NOT come with the car and that he had to build up the sides of the top to make it fit. That makes me fear it is a two liter top second series. The glass for a first series 2600 top may be just slightly larger. The glass for one I could not fit into a two liter second series . Likewise, I am showing what a 2600 spider fitted with what I call the "chunky" classic top (and a copy of the inside). There migiht actually be enough plexiglass surface from the mold to trim to fit the series two 2600 top, but we are not yet sure as to either 2600 top. We will have to made some to determine how large a plexiglass piece comes out of the mold.
Attached Images

[B]JAY NUXOLL [/B][EMAIL="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"], seriously Alfa diseased and ancient OLD Two Liter Lover, put together Seattle area's Northwest Alfa Romeo Club in 1965, and still feebly tries to tend a teeny sacred flame to his serpent mistress in the [B]ALFA G'RAJ MAHAL[/B], a home garage temple with more Alfa cars and parts than he dare list because of the disapproval of his shamed and chagrined family. (425) 641-2600.
post #39 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 01:53 AM
Gold Subscriber

That mold looks very nice to me. Why not make one or two rear windows and see what you can reach trimming. Plexi is a lot softer than glass but these hardtop owners will handle it with ultimate care and light scratches can be polished away.
I have seen boat parts made in molds like this by applying heat through lamps and let the plastic sink in by gravity.

Yes the "chunky" hardtop is like the one I sold. From the picture I cannot see if it carries a Touring badge on the inside. Do you think it is aftermarket or original ?

I called my friend whom I sold the hardtop. He does not own it anymore. He thinks it was original Touring because it fitted very nicely. In his memory the rear window was plastic.
post #40 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 06:44 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Karel,

Was the top you sold steel or fiberglass? If steel, it was probably Touring.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #41 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 07:15 AM
Gold Subscriber

Definetely steel, Don !
post #42 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 04:14 PM

During a tour of Italy in 2000, I had heard of a small parts store in Milan that had bought out some 2 liter NOS parts from the factory several years earlier. With an address and map in hand, my wife and I stopped by on our way to Venice to check it out. After getting their last "Alfa Romeo" trunk badge still wrapped 40 year old Alfa paper, and a head gasket set, I asked if they had any other 2 liter parts. Among the things they listed was a 1959 hard top. It was used, covered in dust, but in good condition with great glass (didn't know at that time how important that was). Asking price was $600 and $250 to ship it to Portland, OR. Even back then I was seeing the occasional hard top go near the $1500 mark so I calculated in the cost to repaint and renew the head liner and figured it was a decent deal. It is now painted the color of the car, but I have yet to replace the liner. The only part missing, was the driver-side sun visor, which I have yet to source. If anyone knows of one, let me know. Also, I am looking for the head liner material.
post #43 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 10:38 PM

My steel hardtop is still a pending project. I want to know if someone can help me. Was hardtop available in body color or there was just a couple of options? My 2000 is actually black with red leather (white trim) interior with wire wheels.
Sorry for the poor photo but is the only one available at this moment.
Attached Images

Ricardo
Alfa Romeo 2000 Touring Spider 1960

Last edited by AR2000-102MX; 11-18-2015 at 10:56 PM.
post #44 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 01:04 AM
Gold Subscriber

Seems a nice hardtop to me. What would make it a perfect is the chrome trimming in the window rubber. In my opinion this is missing in many hardtops.
The glass very much looks like the glas in my 2600 hardtop. I wonder if that is the same.
I am waiting for some 102/106 expert to come with a complete description and accurate catalog of all hardtops and their details.
My chrome is acceptable but not very nice. I am looking into the possibility to have these made of polished stainless steel. The chromed brass is very soft and therefor almost too delicate too handle especially when the rubber gets harder. The orginal Touring chrome is extremely thin.
post #45 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 06:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
The chromed brass is very soft and therefor almost too delicate too handle especially when the rubber gets harder. The orginal Touring chrome is extremely thin.
The chrome strip in my rear window molding is missing some of its chrome and there appears to be spots of bare copper or brass (like an old penny). It appears that Touring's chrome strip is chrome over brass (or chrome over copper on brass). The plater that I use (Dallas Plating in Dallas Georgia) says that he plates a 'flash' layer of chrome on brass parts (so the other metals will "stick"). He then plates layers of copper (polishes out any imperfections), nickel (for corrosion protection) and chrome (for sparkle).

It appears that Touring or their plater left off the nickel 'protection' layer. Chrome, by nature is porous (like fish scales) so it does not offer good corrosion protection alone.

For the first time in the better part of 15 years, the hardtop is 'hovering' just inches away from the car. Last night I vacuumed off 1/8" of dust, several dirt dobbers and removed a ball of bubble gum that landed on the covered part of the top. Some gasket material needs to be reattached to the top and then it is necessary to figure out which Tenax fasteners to remove and which hardware goes where.

OKP in Germany shows a rear window trim molding on their website but it appears not to have the chrome strip. They show a Touring series 2 type top but the listing is for 2000/2600 tops so hopefully it can be cut to fit either top.http://www.okp.de/xtc2/102/106-2000/...er::16973.html

Mark

Last edited by IRONBLOCK; 11-19-2015 at 06:33 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode