Hardtop - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 12:33 PM
Gold Subscriber

Hello Don,
I can understand your feelings regarding the hardtop.
However I always wanted one, just wanted to have one to complete the car.
In the early years when we used our 2600 as a daily transport we put the hardtop on in October/November and even drove the car into the snowy mountains in Austria with two pairs of skies in a rack on the hardtop. We even had Pirelli snowtyres !! Can you imagine ? On the German autobahn we did more then 100 miles an hour in fifth gear on the long stretches.
Now I have put the hardtop - the elegant earlier one - back on our fair lady. And she is a new car again. I really admire these early Italian designers for their talent. With the hardtop the car is different car, and a beauty.
My wife has a 3 series BMW with an aluminium hardtop. Comfortable and easy to handle, but not half as elegant and good looking as this Touring masterpiece.

When I bought my first 2600 I used to say: six cilinders, 5 forward gears and two tops ... what more can a petrolhead long for.

Last edited by karel deppe; 11-13-2015 at 12:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 01:51 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by karel deppe View Post
Hello Don,
I can understand your feelings regarding the hardtop.
However I always wanted one, just wanted to have one to complete the car.
In the early years when we used our 2600 as a daily transport we put the hardtop on in October/November and even drove the car into the snowy mountains in Austria with two pairs of skies in a rack on the hardtop. We even had Pirelli snowtyres !! Can you imagine ? On the German autobahn we did more then 100 miles an hour in fifth gear on the long stretches.
Now I have put the hardtop - the elegant earlier one - back on our fair lady. And she is a new car again. I really admire these early Italian designers for their talent. With the hardtop the car is different car, and a beauty.
My wife has a 3 series BMW with an aluminium hardtop. Comfortable and easy to handle, but not half as elegant and good looking as this Touring masterpiece.

When I bought my first 2600 I used to say: six cilinders, 5 forward gears and two tops ... what more can a petrolhead long for.
Yeah, I agree. "To complete the car". It is a very pretty addition to an already beautiful auto, although I prefer the svelte grace of the 2000 shape over the more angular "been to the gym" changes made to the 2600. The rounder top of the 2000 works well, where the more squared-off top of the 2600 seems to remove even more of the gracefulness lost from the original design.

As I said, I will buy a good/restorable 2000 top if I can find one. I thought I had one a while back, but the deal started changing after we had already agreed, and I have a firm policy of just walking away when that sort of thing happens.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #18 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 02:17 PM

Your window mold is a Godsend!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbo48 View Post
Jay, I made a mold of my 2600 hardtop glass. A friend, with some experience with fiberglass molds, helped and we got a good mold, but the experience was frightening. The heat from the curing of the fiberglass caused loud popping noises and I thought my glass had cracked, but all was well. I would not do that again. Larry Bono
Larry, I now understand how you got that particular shape hardtop. You had not mentioned to me before that it hadn't been part and parcel with the car. You now mention how hard you had to work to get it to fit. That makes me more convinced than ever that it was originally a second series two liter top. All the 2600 spiders were supposedly cars with usable rear seats (big joke) and so the hard tops have a much steeper rear window line. Yours is very graceful.

Anyway, I have been frightened about my precious rear window glass, and the outfit in Redmond (near Seattle) that makes the replacement Bayliner boat windshields did not want to take the risk of breaking mine in making a mold either. Regardless, I am sure now that your mold could produce rear plexiglass windows for all version two liter hard tops. Those with the smaller first series could trim a bit. I wish to venture with you in getting at least a dozen made. I have already promised two hardtop owners that I would get some made, and there must be another twenty or so who need them. So, please, find out the cost and get in touch with me. Remember you must already have made a huge investment for that mold. The next ten windows off of it would probably not cost as much as that first one which required the mold to be made.

As for the questions of rubber around the window and the metal trim, my suggestion is that the still available GTV rear window rubber always can be cut to size, and the chrome insert is very flexible and will work beautifully (with the GTV rubber, but not with the original two liter rubber for the window). Incidentally, I believe the rubber for the two liter hard top rear window is still available. Trick is to put the window in the rubber and fit the two liter chrome into the rubber before installing everything as a unit into the top. It's not much different from dong windshields.

So, please, Larry, for the good of all Alfa two liter owners worldwide (unfortunately not for all 2600 spider owners, although perhaps for some) let me venture with you to get a dozen or so made. Your mold has saved me the danger of ruining my top's glass rear window trying to make one. Jay

[B]JAY NUXOLL [/B][EMAIL="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"], seriously Alfa diseased and ancient OLD Two Liter Lover, put together Seattle area's Northwest Alfa Romeo Club in 1965, and still feebly tries to tend a teeny sacred flame to his serpent mistress in the [B]ALFA G'RAJ MAHAL[/B], a home garage temple with more Alfa cars and parts than he dare list because of the disapproval of his shamed and chagrined family. (425) 641-2600.

post #19 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 06:52 PM

Jay, I think my hardtop is a 2600 model, as it has the more vertical rear window which is also a wrap-around style. I will try to post pictures.
Larry Bono
Attached Images

1962 Alfa 2600 Spider, bought in 1970, sold in 2016.
1969 Porsche 912 Coupe owned since new.
post #20 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 06:54 PM

Here is another picture of my hardtop.
Larry Bono
Attached Images

post #21 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 10:23 PM

Certainly not a regular 2600 top

Larry, when you said you had to grind on it to make your top fit I caught the key. A 2600 rear deck, the spot between the back of the top and the front of the truck is more arched than that of a 2000. A two liter top can be made to fit it only by serious grinding on the back underside of the top. Your car as a "62" (if it really is one because the Vin numbers hop around and are not sequential) might still have one of the last of the 2000 bodies (yes, Alfa has never been stupid. It used up all the old model pieces when switching to new throughout their history). At any rate some of the very last 2000 models also tried to have room for people behind the driver. And some of them (mine, for example) had a wrap around rear window on the hard top. Still, the classic 2600 hard top is longer, flatter on top, and the rear window is more perpendicular. So, in order: (1) photo of classic (and not so pretty) 2600 hard top. (2) photo of my 1959 2000 fitted with a very late two liter top from a car I got in Switzerland. (3) and (4) other views of my hard top when I sent my car out for a repaint in 2012. and (5) a photo from the rear of an unfinished and unfitted factory two liter hard top I sent back to the Netherlands as part of my recent sale of three two liter cars which the new owner proposes to restore. Tell me that a plexiglass window from your mold could not be trimmed if necessary to fit the wraparound version top like mine as well as trimmed a bit more to do the early smaller window type as shown in photos earlier in this thread. I still want you to check what it will cost to made a dozen. Jay
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"], seriously Alfa diseased and ancient OLD Two Liter Lover, put together Seattle area's Northwest Alfa Romeo Club in 1965, and still feebly tries to tend a teeny sacred flame to his serpent mistress in the [B]ALFA G'RAJ MAHAL[/B], a home garage temple with more Alfa cars and parts than he dare list because of the disapproval of his shamed and chagrined family. (425) 641-2600.
post #22 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karel deppe View Post
Regarding the number of hardtops.
My hardtop carries number 1323. My Spider was delivered in Holland early 1962.
Karel, my hardtop had a 4-digit number also, but I removed the number tag and put it in a safe place about 25 years ago and now I can not find it. My 2600 is #191207 and I was able to make the hardtop fit, but it was a lot of work. Does your top look like mine in my posts above in this thread?

Larry Bono

post #23 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 01:25 PM

Jay, I never knew that the 2000 Roadster was ever fitted with a hardtop with the larger, more vertical, rear window. The one on your car sure looks the same as mine. I think we took the fiberglass mold on the outside of the glass. I can check that in a couple days to be sure. I do know that the mold is large and is very heavy.

Larry Bono

post #24 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 02:46 PM

Thumbs up Not Identical, but "close enough"

Larry,
Our tops might not be identical, but I believe they are close enough so that the plexiglass rear window from your mold looks like it would fit mine with perhaps a bit of trimming which can be done with plexigrass. And with even more trimming there would be a suitable piece for the smaller size (i.e. earlier) version two liter hard top.

I say they should not be identical because I have had direct experience with a two liter top like mine NOT fitting a new glass specifically for the more sloping 2600 hard top like yours. I remember how shocked I was to think that any 2600 top was other than square and dorky. From comparing the pictures I can't say for sure you started with a two liter top and pared it down to fit a 2600 because then the area under your window would now be be far thinner. That is where a two liter top would have to be trimmed to fit the 2600 with a higher center rear deck in front of the trunk.

Still, My hardtop number is 998;Mark's number as showing on the photo of the small rear window two liter in the treat is 930; Karel's is 1323. You say yours had four numbers, but you can't find it the tag. That brings up a Question? If you took the number tag off, was it because you had to grind the area under the window? Maybe you really have a two liter top ground down to fit a 2600.

Regardless, "Perfection is the enemy of Good enough!" I believe we need to give your mold a try. Larry, I still have your email address and you and I will work this out just between the two of us.

HOWEVER, TO ALL OTHER READERS: if you need a rear glass for your two liter hard top (or perhaps for the earlier "not square" 2600 hard top), make contact with us hereafter via this thread on www.ALFa BB. Larry and I may need a bit to get this organized but we will.

post #25 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 05:47 PM

Jay - count me in for a rear glass if find a way to make a batch. I have an early version 2000.

Thanks

Richard
post #26 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 05:52 PM

Jay, instead of thinning the area under the rear window, I welded strips to the sides in order to fill the gaps.

Larry Bono

post #27 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 10:01 AM
Gold Subscriber

2600 Hardtop

Here are some pictures of my almost original 2600 hardtop. It came 47 years ago with my first 2600 Spider. I had the hardtop repainted in blu olandese at the time I bought the car. I have improvised the rubber on the rear deck and may order one day that rubber new. I will now pay attention to rechroming or just polishing the hook and work on the sunshade sthat became bubbly. But everything is still there the way it was when my hardtop left Touring in Milano.
Attached Images

post #28 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 05:45 PM

Thank you Karel, for posting the pictures. It sure looks like our tops could be the same, but the bottom, side profile of the glass looks a little different in the pictures.
Larry Bono

post #29 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 06:34 AM

Garage
I strongly suspect there are two Touring hardtops for the 2600 as I know there are at least two Touring hardtops for the Two-Liter; series 1 and series 2. Honestly, I would not be surprised to see an original or well restored hardtop worth $4,000 or 5,000 today. I would not sell my series 2, Two Liter Touring but since the car is a '59, might trade for a similar condition series 1 top.

Perhaps we should all take measurements of our Touring hard tops and list them in a table for 2000 or 2600 tops (I don't know how to do that sort of thing; help Ruedi). I suspect critical dimensions would be the 'width' at the window center between the rear of the drivers (or passengers) window and the front of the rear window...the length of the top, from the front windshield to the rear window and perhaps from one window opening across the top to the other window opening (inline with the rear window track). Possibly window opening dimensions, etc.

Mark
post #30 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 08:03 AM
Gold Subscriber

Yes Mark there are two different hardtops fitting the 2600
When I bought my second 2600 it came with what you seem to call the second type.
I sold it for Hfl 500 ( $ 145 at that time ) to a friend who has always been kind in helping me out with spares.
I hope I do not offend other owners, but I did not like that hardtop with the extended topline to the point that I thought it was a hand made one-off. I am not sure if the rear window was glass or plastic. However in this forum I learned it was made by Touring.
As you may seen from the pictures I kept the earlier one.

Last edited by karel deppe; 11-17-2015 at 08:06 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode