Head gasket and bearings for 2600 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 12-04-2010, 09:40 AM

Head gasket and bearings for 2600

Hi,

I am rebuilding my 2600 motor (rings broken on several pistons).

I believe Fiat 1500 bearings can be used for the main bearings and that Jaguar bearings can be used for the con rods.

Does anyone have any more info on this (or other equivalent bearings).

The head gasket was two-piece with small o rings around the oil feeds to the head. I understand that the later style gasket is one piece. I have read on this forum that some owners have had problems with the new one piece gasket, but that the two piece gasket was prone to problems.

Any opinions on this?

Also is this gasket available in the US, or do I have to get it from OKP or Heinbrand?

FYI: Vintage Imports (Ohio) is currently advertising timing chains on Ebay (12/4/10)

Best,

John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Platinum Subscriber

John,

Somewhere amongst my boxes I have a set of (what I believe are) 2600 big end bearings, all new, but there did seem to be too many in the packet for one engine . Can you dig out a part number for me? Any idea how thick these bearings should be for standard and oversize?
Old 12-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to DPeterson3
The correct bearings are available from a variety of sources for $350 - $600. While this may seem high compared to more mundane cars, it is a pittance compared to the rest of the costs of a correct overhaul. If there is a proven and direct interchange, then why not, but I would be alert for small differences such as tang size and location, location of oil feed holes, bearing construction (they aren't all the same), edge chamfer and so on. I can imagine a Jag bearing, for instance, stating that the saddle ID was X.XXX inches and originally designed in Imperial units, whereas the Alfa was N.NNN millimeters. A quick conversion reveals they seem to be the same, but when one realizes that the bearing "crush" is measured in ten-thousandths of an inch (X.XXXX"), all those digits to the right of 25.4 start to make some degree of difference.

I would recommend buying from one of the known sources and being reassured that the parts were truly correct.

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
1971 Alfa Montreal (see above comment regarding rationality)

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-04-2010, 01:24 PM

Hi Alex,

Big end (connecting rod) bearing part numbers are:

Std: 1306.16.006
1st Oversize (+10 thou?) 1306.16.006 M1
2nd Oversize (+20 thou?) 1306.16.006 M2

Not sure the thickness of the (I presume standard sized) ones that are in there (which are in good condition) as the motor is at the machine shop, but when I next go there I can measure them.

John
Old 12-04-2010, 02:40 PM

alternative bearings

I have researched bearing alternatives extensively and my findings are on the yahoo 2600 board at http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/4Ln6TJK...20bearings.xls

I actually agree with Don although the Jaguar and Fiat alternatives may have been used when new bearings were unavailable , the cars now have such value that it is probaly worth paying the high price for the right parts rather than paying a machinist to convert alternatives.

The best lead I did find was King Bearings who list an alternative to the original Vandervell bearings

Vandervell King
Con rod set VP206 CR4362CP 4 cylinder
Mains Vp91024 MB7114CP 6 cylinder

inquiry@kingbearings.com

However their prices were similar to european suppliers ( high!) But they may have a US stockist

Hope this helps

Ian

Last edited by Redmerlin; 12-04-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:44 PM

piston rings

NB Piston rings are std stock at Deves .com

cars parts

Last edited by Redmerlin; 12-04-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:41 PM

Thanks Ian,

I am a member of that user group. I tried your link - it did not work, but I found your file.

If I find any additional info I'll let you know.

What about the O-rings underneath the liners - are these special?

Best,

John
Old 12-05-2010, 02:03 AM

liner O rings

Yes and no

2600 is 83mm bore and later 2000 (105 series) is 84mm - So O rings from the later car should work.

For the 2600 they are available from Heinbrand / OKP etc

Mine are held in with gasket selant - done by a "professional" not me
Old 06-17-2011, 02:56 PM

Anyone got the part number for the later one-piece head gasket? My part manual only shows the two part.

Thanks,

John
Old 06-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnym View Post
Anyone got the part number for the later one-piece head gasket? My part manual only shows the two part.
From what I understand, the one-piece gasket was never supplied by Alfa Romeo. Rumor has it that a Boeing engineer in the 1970s was fed up by failing head gaskets and designed one based on modern materials. I'm not sure if this story is true.

One way or the other, I heard stories that the holes in some gaskets do not line up with the holes in the head (the water passages may be a different on S1 and S2 heads), so it's important that you check this immediately and hopefully make arrangements with the supplier prior to purchasing that you can return the gasket if the alignment is not satisfactory.

I hope others chime in on this topic also and share their experiences.
Maintainer of a 2600 SZ register (not the Dutch one).
Old 06-18-2011, 12:31 AM

I have a New Old Stock one piece gasket that has the Alfa Romeo logo all over it (see pic). However, the water passage comment may be correct- they are much larger and a different shape to the ones created by Elring today.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.