Operation "save a sprint" - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 10-31-2009, 01:40 PM

missing prop-shaft

Jay/Randy

Thanks for the tips - I found the other half of the propshaft under the car!
Attached Images

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2009, 12:26 PM

gearbox/bellhousing oil seal

Gearbox/bellhousing oil seal is marked GRACO MIM 30.40. It measures 30mm ID and 40mm OD by 7mm thick - so thats what I am off to buy ,
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-06-2009, 02:07 PM

Interesting sprint and spider restoration sites

Site showing a 2600 sprint rebuild

Alfa Romeo 2600 General Information

Similar for Spider

Website for the repair of the 2600 Spider Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Go to section "In restoration"

Then example 8 - "Alfa romeo 2600 spider 1964" -
Old 11-15-2009, 12:26 PM

Still dreaming

Unfortunately my plans to rebuid the sprint are currently on hold ,as I am in dispute over what sort of temporary accomodation I can rent while I am working away during the week. My company feel that an apartment is fine and cannot understand the need for a large garage! Philistines!

So it may be the New Year before I can get the car and various parts I've mentioned out of storage. Any one got a workshop to rent just South of Leeds , England?

In the interim I attach another excelent picture of a 2600 sprint and my latest question. How do I change the clutch release (throwout) bearing on the2600 ? As picture below I have the new bearing but I cannot see how to dismantle the carrier - is therea special alfa tool or do you have to have all new parts for this assembly?

Cheers

Ian
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmerlin View Post
In the interim I attach another excelent picture of a 2600 sprint...
Nice screen saver!
Old 01-13-2010, 01:56 PM

Operation save a sprint is back on!

I'm please to report operation save a sprint is back on.

I've rented the garage( and house) , all I need to do is find the car and fit all the bits back on. Target is to get to SPA ITALIA for the 100 year celebrations. Wish me luck again!

Jay I'll send you a PM on the V6 bellhousing and parts
Attached Images

Last edited by Redmerlin; 01-13-2010 at 02:05 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 01-27-2010, 07:44 AM

Day1 on OSAS

OK so collected the car yesterday - a couple of pictures of its better angles attached.

Lifted the engine and immediatley joined the stuck 2600 engine club - how do I move it see next post!
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2010, 09:56 AM

Day 1 OSAS ( part 2)

Moving a stuck the engine. Many "help please" posts have been posted on this.

It helps to have the engine out of the car, although there is an access cover under the flywheel that means you can do this from under an installed engine.

This worked for me

First soak with a suitable "freeing oil" and leave to soak. Squirt down spark plug holes. I then tried levering between the ring gear teeth and a bellhousing stud at the top of the engine - didn't work. I hour later after stripping out the interior ( more on this later) . I tried levering on the lower bell housing stud which is nearer to the flywheel - hurrrah this worked! as photo.

Slowly move one tooth one way and then the other. After half an hour managed 360 degrees each way - one tooth a time. Not quite "engine turns easily" but I'll leave to soak ovenight and see the next day. If this does not work I may try attaching the starter motor - is this a good idea?

Only one major issue is that when I removed the spark plugs one had a thread repair insert . When I removed the plug out came the insert as well - does anyone know which "loctite" or similar I can use to fix the insert?
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2010, 10:14 AM

Day 1 OSAS ( part 3) - interior out

I always do this - never know what you may find - this car apparently started life in Beruit - so maybe a rifle of something. I did find the insert plastic for the rear view mirror and surprise surprise rust holes in the rear floor .

The interior is dire - the outside is silver - originally white. Inside brown/red front seat and door panels . Rear seats red from a different car . Carpets were sand colour ( ex Beruit!) now gone - I have a cheap set of red carpets - put all this together and you have a brothel!

I have a set of blue seats but no good door cards - anyone ( in the Uk ) got blue door cards or black /blue carpets - swap for some tasteful brown ones or maybe something more interesting like a new exhaust system?

Next steps

Off to my Chinese welder next for some plating and a new cill piece -- more money in the pit.

The plug insert has gone to my engineers at work to free the plug or make a copy - its not what you know but who you know as they say.
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmerlin View Post
If this does not work I may try attaching the starter motor - is this a good idea?
There is a huge risk that you'll fry the starter motor coil and/or damage the spline mechanism that engages the gear (i.e the risk is that you create a "mechanical short" on the starter motor). Just be patient and let the soaking continue. You may want to lubricate the crankshaft and camshaft bearings (to reduce friction and limit damage to dry running bearings) before turning the engine.
Maintainer of a 2600 SZ register (not the Dutch one).
Old 01-28-2010, 02:43 AM

Turning engine

Tubut

Yes sound advice - I feel that if the engine is OK it should have come free immediately. There maybe something else holding it back , dry bearing ?- next step I guess is to fit on an engine stand - remove the sump and remove the big-end bearings and check the journals - this will also let me feel if individual pistons are moving Ok.

I'll leave to soak for a week then try again

To add to the fun one sparkplug hole has no thread in it and and will need an insert!

regards

Ian
Old 01-28-2010, 01:45 PM

I new I bought the right car

With an add like this who would buy anything else!
Attached Images

Last edited by Redmerlin; 01-30-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Gold Subscriber

"The Alfa 2600 is a true sports car and handles as such a vehicle should..."

Eh? They must have paid alot for that quotation!

Good luck with all the work Ian - some long winter nights ahead but I hope all goes well.

Piers
Old 01-29-2010, 02:43 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to DPeterson3
Did you ever sort out how to remove the throw-out bearing? What was the part number of the bearing? I made need the identical piece for my FNM/2300 engine mod.

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
1971 Alfa Montreal (see above comment regarding rationality)

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
Old 01-30-2010, 03:51 AM

Throw-out bearing

Don

In the end I decided not to rebuild the bearing - I looked at it with a mechanic and concluded that without special tooling any attempt to get to the bearing would destroy the carrier or the pressure ring that contacts the clutch plate.

I have two or three throwout assemblies and I am going to use the best of these.

Yahoo news group bearings file this gives

Clutch Throwout Bearing 106.00.12.404.00 FAG 505050

This is the bearing I have - but note it has a 106 number ie 2600

cheers

Ian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.