102 and Rio - Resto begins - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 778 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Arno,

The holes aren't filled yet. It remains to be seen if we feel like they can be done artistically. I suppose I could have had our welder do them here before carrying them to the chromer, as he's quite an artist. If the chromer is uncomfortable doing it, I'll bring back one and have our guy work on it. I would wonder if building up with brazing instead of welding might be a better choice, as one could easily add and file until a very smooth surface was achieved inside and out.

I've got one pair of front Euro-bumpers, and they are quite light. However, they are also a bit rough. We'll see if they can be cleaned up to be worth the re-chroming. Given that the heavier bumper and over-riders would accomplish precisely nothing in event of more than a bump while parallel parking, I fail to see their value, and they aren't pretty.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...

Last edited by DPeterson3; 12-03-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 778 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Jay,

I guess I was inadequately clear again. By "air inlet" I'm referring to the big oval holes on either side of the heart-grille, not the two slits on top of the hood.

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoliterlover View Post
Don, the air inlet surrounds are different for american version with center chromed spear as compared to european. Which is yours? Jay

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #48 of 778 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
VCM body shop merrily running the clock. Floor boards looking good.

Sills being cleaned up for appropriately placed doublers. As the inner and outer sill plates (not rocker panels) are pretty OK, we've decided not to take them off just to replace the light-gauge sheet that has evaporated inside of them. We'll double up and fold it over the bottom to give the sill rigidity and close it up.
Attached Images

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #49 of 778 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Just got back from the body shop, and they are progressing nicely. They've applied some "425" to various areas to inhibit the return of rust in places we don't want to visit again. Repair/reinforcing panels have been made for the sills. The original sills are remarkably OK, except for a few areas where water puddled for a while, so the rust damage is highly localized. We're welding in patches for those, but no need to remove and replace the entire main beam or internal wall.

Another shop just up the road did some nice English wheel work, making a repair panel for the rear lower valence, and smaller pieces for the front lower valence where it attaches to the fore/aft beams. They also did a great job of making new parts for the areas in the wheel wells that had returned to nature.

We used a Wolf Steel spare tire well bottom as the core of that repair, but it required a few more bits. These will all get ground to smooth. I wish they hadn't welded it in place before I could talk to them, however, as I was hoping to get a bit more depth there to accomodate the Dayton wires and slightly wider tires. I've decided to just use an original wheel and tire for my spare, which is at least better than a modern "donut", right?

The shop says 3 months.

Biacco Grigio, whatever that really is.
Attached Images

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #50 of 778 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
More body shop news

The shop did an astonishing job making new door seal "grooves". I can't see how they did it so neatly, but they look better than new to me.
Attached Images

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #51 of 778 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I visited the shop today. They've got two guys full-time going at it.

The current concern is what appears to be cracking in the lead filler. I've assured them that it all appears original to me, as Alfas of this era started out as roughly car-shape, then were leaded into approximate configuration, with plastic bondo for the fine touches. Eric (the shop owner) has a concern that what I think are just small channels in the lead are actually cracks due to movement, and that there may be corrosion in the bottom of the valley. He will now grind out the channels and take a look, then melt in new lead and re-smooth things. Better than having all this work bubble up because we left some hidden rust, although I don't believe there is any in these channels anyway.

They've covered the car in either "415" or a "DTM" primer, and are busy welding in various repair panels. He still thinks we'll be done in 3 months.
Attached Images

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #52 of 778 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 04:06 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Impressive work!!

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #53 of 778 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Well, this is just the pre-treatment. The car already looked OK from 20 feet. Now the real bodywork begins.

It appears that the interior is going to cost me as much as the paint job (if not the rust and panel repair).

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #54 of 778 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 11:51 AM

seat mounting studs

Hi All,

In my 2000 touring spider 1959 I have different seat mounting studs then on picture from Don's 2000 touring spider ,

threaded holes in the front ,

In my 2600 spider I have also the same threaded holes in the front

see pictures

rgds Franco
Attached Images

Last edited by franco-veloce; 01-27-2010 at 11:54 AM.
post #55 of 778 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Franco,
Thanks. We haven't welded on new tabs for the rear seat attach points yet, but that won't be too hard. I believe the original tabs are tapped (threaded) like yours. It seems to me that your rear attach tabs are farther back than mine as well, by about the same amount as your front tapped-hole is back. Is it possible a previous owner felt it necessary to move the seat farther backward than original? I see no signs of the tabs having been removed from yours, so perhaps it is just another typical variation from Touring?

I received the throw-out bearing. It is a little rough rolling, but maybe some clean-up will get it working better. Also, I can use it as a pattern to make a new collar that might accept an easily available throwout bearing. I have a friend of mine matching the pressure plate now, so if you are interested I can advise you on the part number for the diaphragm pressure plate, and possibly make a throw-out collar if you want one.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #56 of 778 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
For all...

After looking at Franco's project, I am happy that I paid to have the paint stripped using baking soda, and the remainder "sand" blasted to remove rust, scraps of insulation and undercoating, etc. About $3k worth of stripping, but we've got clean bright metal to work with. Much better.

Why the red panel, Franco? Why not the original black?

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #57 of 778 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 03:08 PM

franco's 2000 touring resto

the red one was the body I bought

1 step remove paint and bodyschutz
2 step sandblasting
3 step welding
4 step paint black
5 step outside paint grigio biacca ( white )

rgds Franco
Attached Images

post #58 of 778 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 04:48 PM

black panel

black panel
Attached Images

post #59 of 778 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Franco,
We seem to be on parallel paths. I intend to paint mine the original color also, which was Grigio Biacca. Can you advise the paint manufacturer and formula that you are using? I've read the AlfaBB discussion on this subject, and it appears one can get various pinks, blues, grays, etc, when it was really just a slightly off-white. Not yellow, not blue, etc. Your white picture above seems to have a pink tint to it, but that could be the photography or lighting.

Your black panel seems close to the original satin color. I intend to just match my glove box, which I have retained un-stripped as a comparison.

Enjoy

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #60 of 778 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Don,

I just came upon your thread - very impressive. I have a little something to contribute:

As part of our wiring harness package, we include a free color-coded wiring diagram. We recently had a 102 customer in Texas order up a full set of rubber for his car, as well as a wiring harness, for which we did not yet have a diagram completed. We thus went looking for a local 102 here in Northern California, and had some photos taken when we found it. This car (I believe the color is "bluette") was restored by Conrad Stevenson of Berkeley, CA back in the '90s or so. Unfortunately most of my photos had to do with wiring, but there are a few shots of the body:

Picasa Web Albums - velocespace - Alfa 102 Jeri

If you'd like to get in touch with the Texan 102 owner (he restored airplanes), let me know and I'll check with him, a great guy.

Patrick Hung
'59 Sprint Veloce * '63 Giulia Spider * '65 Giulia Ti * '67 GT 1300 Junior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode