102 and Rio - Resto begins - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 768 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 06:55 PM

Do you need good photos of jack points?

Don, my two liter has good jack points yet if you want photos. And DON'T forget the "hash marks", the phony louvers in front of the doors on both sides. They are NOT genuine louvers, but bumps onto which are screwed chromed pieces. Do you need measurements. Finally, if you are going to make the side spears, they are stainless steel anyway. When are you passing through Seattle again? Jay

[B]JAY NUXOLL [/B][EMAIL="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"], seriously Alfa diseased and ancient OLD Two Liter Lover, put together Seattle area's Northwest Alfa Romeo Club in 1965, and still feebly tries to tend a teeny sacred flame to his serpent mistress in the [B]ALFA G'RAJ MAHAL[/B], a home garage temple with more Alfa cars and parts than he dare list because of the disapproval of his shamed and chagrined family. (425) 641-2600.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 768 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Hello Jay,

My jack points are good, as are the strips of steel that they attach to. The primary rust damage is to the folded panels INSIDE the sills, not the main structure of the sills themselves. Very odd.

The phony shark-gills are intact on my car. No problems there. I might need one or two of the chrome trim bits for them, but I haven't finished sorting what I've got yet.

The long side spear will probably be made in stainless on a long milling machine, rather than folding thinner sheet as per the original. Easier that way. I doubt we'll want to bend the encircling trim for the main air-inlets on either side of the heart grill, but wouldn't rule that out, either. These things are down the road a bit.

Next stages are a) get parts from Erik in Belgium b) drag shell to body shop c) finish various mechanical overhauls, and d) bleed money in direction of body shop.

Not sure of trip to the Northeast, but probably within 4 months. I'll ring you up for sure.

Don

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #33 of 768 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Off to the body shop

I sold my aerobatic airplane (for $15,000 LESS than I turned down two years ago - sigh) so have the spare coin to move the bodywork forward.

I ordered both rockers and all four floorboards from Erik. Although I had already decided to do this, someone posted pics in this area of their 2600 coming together using his parts, and they looked great. Although communicating with Erik can be spotty, as they don't exactly monitor their email by the hour, they did always respond, and always pleasantly and on-point. Minor communication issues, but we both took care to ask for clarification if it seemed necessary.

I sent the money via wire transfer, and was told they parts would be dispatched in about 3 weeks. I didn't keep count, but it seemed like they were here in Nevada all the way from Belgium well within that time frame! All parts were well within the acceptable standard for "repair panels" (I suggest avoiding Wolf Steel for this reason among others).

So, as I already had my partner's trailer in order to pick up my 86 Spider due to a frozen alternator (less than 3,000 miles since new from the outfit in SOCAL that sells the 80 amp upgrade), I loaded up the 102 and headed off to VCM here in Carson City. I've handed him a starter-check, the car, and the repair panels, and am awaiting those fateful phone calls to start. He's a bit slow in his restoration shop (go figure) so has a crew of three working on it. Yegads, the cash flow will be shocking.

Fingers crossed, and photos when avaiable.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #34 of 768 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 04:35 PM

Thumbs up Are you worried about strength?

Don, my old red car that was up on the lift when you were here is done. Many many years ago when I just wanted it solid enough to run I had the sills redone. Everything was so rusty it was hard to find anything solid. Finally the welder in frustration put in two pieces of three inch pipe to give some beef in the rockers. I daresay you can't tell it. Those rockers are merely three pieces of sheet steel with bends and welds. I feel that if I get hit from the side the car would not completely fold up. But be sure to get step by step shots. I have a couple other that will soon need restoration and I want to see how you fare. Jay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"], seriously Alfa diseased and ancient OLD Two Liter Lover, put together Seattle area's Northwest Alfa Romeo Club in 1965, and still feebly tries to tend a teeny sacred flame to his serpent mistress in the [B]ALFA G'RAJ MAHAL[/B], a home garage temple with more Alfa cars and parts than he dare list because of the disapproval of his shamed and chagrined family. (425) 641-2600.
post #35 of 768 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Jay,
We haven't made the final strategic decisions about the sills yet. The main channels with the lightening holes are fairly intact, showing corrosion only at the very ends, plus a little surface staining. The inner pieces have largely evaporated, but these are the lightest of the 4 components. The inner sill that is the part exposed inside the car is quite solid except for where water stood and ate away very localized areas. The entire exterior rocker panels are gone and being replaced.

So, the question is what do we do about the inner folded piece? We'll probably just patch the inner sill, and weld on a "cap strip" along the bottom of the structure. This should replace most of the strength missing due to the lost inner panel. It could be just possible to fabricate a new folded piece and insert it up through the gap in the bottom of the sill structure, but that would be some fancy work and welding. I'm going to resist cutting away either the inner sill or main structural beam, as they are largely fine and are the main structure and shape-holding elements.

Enjoy!

Don

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #36 of 768 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 10:38 AM

Hi Don,

Could you send pictures of the areas in question - or did I miss them in this thread?

John
post #37 of 768 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Hi John,

The first page of this thread shows my car after the rockers are removed, and you can see the main beam with the lightening holes. I expect to take some more pics as the shop takes their scalpel to it, and decisions are made regarding structure.

Are you working on a 102 / 106?

Don

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #38 of 768 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 10:41 PM

A 106. Has had new rockers in the past - poorly. I am thinking of replacing them, and am interested in seeing how those inner sills are made.
post #39 of 768 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Have you studied the various parts manual pictures? Also, there are several photos on the Alfa BB showing the sill area in various stages of exposure. Lastly, Erik (Belgium) has a drawing that sheds a little light on the structure.

Once you cut away the outer sill (rocker panel), it all starts to present itself to view.

Don

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #40 of 768 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 01:35 PM

Hey Don,
I have indeed studied the parts book - I find it not so clear. I am sure once the rockers are off all will become clear. That's a ways off for now.
John
post #41 of 768 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
John,
I just decided to be brave one day, as there was no question of doing a rolling restoration. The dremel tool and side-grinder / cut-off tool were put to good use.

I'll get you some pics. There is another thread somewhere on here that shows a 2600 with these areas being substantially rebuilt. The pics are before and after, with none in-between. It might help to at least get a sense of the total structure, though. I don't recall which thread, but it has been active in the last 2 or 3 weeks, so will be near the top of the list.

There seems to be 4 total pieces. The "inner sill" that you see from inside the car. A thin steel pieces folded somewhat like an "ell", but with a flange on the top. Then what might be called a "main sill". This is the piece with the lightening holes in it. Then the "outer sill" that we all call rocker panels. I tend to doubt much strength comes from the rocker panels.

I would guess that the original structure started with the main sill which was placed into jigs, thence the ell-shaped pieces welded into place. The lower part of the ell bridges the bottom gap between the main sill and the inner sill, and is why this gap area rusts out so quickly. It is thinner metal than the two pieces on either side. The main sill and "ell piece" when welded together at the bottom, seem to form a sort of "U" shape with flanges at the top. The inner sill is then welded onto the top and bottom of the ell piece.

That's my take on it, and probably some fine expert will set me straight. If we cut into my car that deeply, I'll get some "in between" pics.

Good luck
Don

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #42 of 768 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Eriks drawings

John,

Here's a scan of Erik's page. At the bottom you can see an oblique cross section of the structure. He seems to be using different names than I did, or perhaps I've just figured it out all wrong. As I said - I'll add pics when/if we cut into that area.

Don
Attached Images

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #43 of 768 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Progress report,

Shell is at VCM, who appear to have 3 guys assigned to it. As I told them, this is a good idea, as it means I'll be cutting them a series of astonishing checks before my future ex-wife can lay claim to the funds.

They've had the shell sand-blasted, removing all of the rust that the previous soda-blast didn't touch. No surprises from the sand-blast, just making it all a bit cleaner so they can weld stuff back in place. The soda-blast did a great job of removing the paint without damaging the underlying steel, so it's worth taking this approach - just expensive. Just trading money for time.

Erik's floor boards are fitting up OK. He supplied four floor boards as though we were going to remove the upper cross piece and replace the original boards entirely. As the cross-brace structure is fine, and I don't want to risk letting the body distort, we've cut the boards into two pieces and are welding them onto the flanges left behind by the original boards. Minor issues with making sure the stiffening ribs don't interfere, but everything is solvable.

I dropped off a pile of chrome at ABC Plating in Sparks, NV today. I'm still missing a few pieces, but I also left him 2 rear bumpers and 2 1/2 front bumper sets. One of the front bumper sets is European, which don't have the over-riders and are made from noticeably thinner steel. I hope to use those if they clean up, and to have one of the rear bumpers converted to non-over-rider. It's a cleaner look, and I'll have a chromed-up set of USA bumpers if some FO has purity issues. Skip, the owner, quoted $3,300 for the whole stack, including restoration and chroming. Based upon the work I saw there, I'm expecting good things. Small shop with the owner actually working on things! I'll end up with some extra bits that I hope I don't need, but I learned years ago it's better to have extras than have to make a special run for a single item.

I still need one lower long chrome strip below the doors, and one air-inlet surround. Maybe someone would like to trade for freshly restored and chromed fog/turn lights or similar?

Venolia says new pistons will ship today or tomorrow, but that's news for my other thread.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #44 of 768 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 08:46 AM

Don, the air inlet surrounds are different for american version with center chromed spear as compared to european. Which is yours? Jay

post #45 of 768 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPeterson3 View Post
Progress report,

Shell is at VCM, who appear to have 3 guys assigned to it. As I told them, this is a good idea, as it means I'll be cutting them a series of astonishing checks before my future ex-wife can lay claim to the funds.

They've had the shell sand-blasted, removing all of the rust that the previous soda-blast didn't touch. No surprises from the sand-blast, just making it all a bit cleaner so they can weld stuff back in place. The soda-blast did a great job of removing the paint without damaging the underlying steel, so it's worth taking this approach - just expensive. Just trading money for time.

Erik's floor boards are fitting up OK. He supplied four floor boards as though we were going to remove the upper cross piece and replace the original boards entirely. As the cross-brace structure is fine, and I don't want to risk letting the body distort, we've cut the boards into two pieces and are welding them onto the flanges left behind by the original boards. Minor issues with making sure the stiffening ribs don't interfere, but everything is solvable.

I dropped off a pile of chrome at ABC Plating in Sparks, NV today. I'm still missing a few pieces, but I also left him 2 rear bumpers and 2 1/2 front bumper sets. One of the front bumper sets is European, which don't have the over-riders and are made from noticeably thinner steel. I hope to use those if they clean up, and to have one of the rear bumpers converted to non-over-rider. It's a cleaner look, and I'll have a chromed-up set of USA bumpers if some FO has purity issues. Skip, the owner, quoted $3,300 for the whole stack, including restoration and chroming. Based upon the work I saw there, I'm expecting good things. Small shop with the owner actually working on things! I'll end up with some extra bits that I hope I don't need, but I learned years ago it's better to have extras than have to make a special run for a single item.

I still need one lower long chrome strip below the doors, and one air-inlet surround. Maybe someone would like to trade for freshly restored and chromed fog/turn lights or similar?

Venolia says new pistons will ship today or tomorrow, but that's news for my other thread.
Don:

How did you have the holes for the overriders filled? Since I also prefer a cleaner look, I had a (now out of business) chrome shop do that a few years back and they made a dog's breakfast out of them (huge blobs of weld in the back, an obvious outline of the holes in front, pitting in the filled parts etc). At least I didn't have to pay once I voiced my displeasure.

Fortunately I had a spare set which on which I am keeping the overriders in place. My car is a euro spec one that appears to have had overriders on it from new (which I understand were an option per the parts book on both euro and US cars).

Arno Leskinen
AROC-USA National Concours Chair
164LS
1972 Lancia Fulvia 1.3S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode