So long guys - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 07-24-2005, 03:20 PM

So long guys

Hi All,
I have sold the my 1963 2600 Sprint(for much less that probably worth). I drove the car approx 2000 miles in my ownership with no problems. RHD may have made all the difference but the fuel economy killed it for me. Definately a great car to own and drive. Perhaps suited to a warmer climate. Good luck for the future.....now what can I buy next ??

Take care.

Dave.
Spider S4
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2005, 12:36 AM

Talking

Farewell Davey, Get another Alfa soon. Hope the new owner of your pre-England Seattle area Black 2600 Sprint can appreciate the Left Hand Drive. Did you, by any chance, sell onto the continent where such a non butchered car wold be appreciated? I remember the car. Believed it was lovely. But I hate driving right hand drive cars in Seattle, so I understand. My choice is a 56 CSS 1900 with Touring Body. It is about as "old" as one would want, can be upgraded with two liter and 2600 parts, and is NOT right hand drive as are most 6c2500 or such pre-war cars. Why don't you try to get one of those? Jay Nuxoll of Seattle

Last edited by twoliterlover; 07-25-2005 at 12:37 AM. Reason: spelling
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-25-2005, 10:49 AM

I beleive the car is bound for Spain so should not be butchered. I still have a series4 Spider and have also purchased a Berlina 2000 (both with the stearing wheel on the correct side) to keep the Alfa flame burning.
Thanks for all your encouragement and advice.
Spider S4
Old 07-25-2005, 11:08 AM

Davey. I don't suspect you mean a two liter berlina? Those are the 10202 series with cast iron engine and five speed column shift (1958 to 1962). I have one of those, possibly the only one in the US. The Alfa Museum asks me for photos periodically. If so, I have lots of extra parts for you -- hubcaps, for example. But, if it is the 2000 Berlina which is the sucessor of the 1750, I lots of part for those too. I have both a 1972 and a 1974. And a 1969 which I am planning on turning into a pickup. I hope telling you abolut that proposed butchery won't make you sick like it does my son. JAY
Old 07-25-2005, 11:56 AM

2000 Berlina 1972 vintage....a little less rare and I don't think this model was particularly cared for in the UK. It has a full MOT and service history. The bodywork looks pretty good although the welding on one of the sills looks poor.
How many cars do you have ?
Spider S4
Old 07-25-2005, 12:55 PM

Davey, I have so many Alfa cars it is not a matter of pride but of shame. I NEVER will tell exactly (even if I could determine exactly, which I can't), and many are stashed and my friends periodically call to see if I still want them. You see, my Alfa friends over the years have realized that my hobby is fixing and keeping them running. No one buys an Alfa just to get from one place to another. It is never a matter of transportation. It is a disease, a fatal one if once bitten by the Alfa Serpent as I was in 1959. And in service to my Serpent mistress I spend hours and hours happily trying to keep every one of her children alive and beloved. So when an Alfa owner friend will finally come to the point where repairing his Alfa once again is out of the question because of the extent or price, that friend simply decides the car is loved too much to be scrapped and it ends up given to me so I can try to fix it up and later find a "care taker" for it. So, how many do I have? I'd say at least twice as many as guy who is bragging most about how many he has, plus a dozen or so more. They go from the oldest 1956 (once had a 35 8c2900A but Simon Moore bought it from me over the years, finally paying me more for my remaining 4% that I have ever paid for all the other cars I have ever purchased in my life) to the latest I can get in the US -- a 1995 164 LS (plus a 164 S and a 164 bare automatic) and everything in between. Jay
Old 07-25-2005, 01:46 PM
Banned

To those who don't know it, Jay has been one of the primary keepers of the Alfa flame in the US for almost 50 years. He never received as much noteriety as Pat Braden, but than again, he never seemed to want it, nor did he publish any books, as Pat did.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:35 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Stu, it seems you, too, helped tremendously to keep the flame burning -- and did so for a long time before the arrival of personal computers or the Internet!
Maintainer of a 2600 SZ register (not the Dutch one).
Old 07-26-2005, 06:14 AM
Banned

Thanks for the compliment, but Jay, Carter Hendricks, Peter Marshall, and any number of others are FAR more knowledgeable when it comes to mechanics as I will ever be. Unlike most other Alfa people, I have never had much interest in doing my own work even when I was 20, much less, now at 57. My strong suit and interest has always been Alfa history.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Boy, if I can remember even 10 percent of what Jay Nuxoll told me about rebuilding a 102 motor last week at the track in Seattle (in about a 10 minute conversation) I will be happy.

It was also great to finally get to spend some time with Ruedi. We judged the 102/106 class together at the Convention. His knowledge of 2600's is tremendous.

Arno Leskinen
AROC-USA National Concours Chair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.