Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Camping Trip

18K views 257 replies 15 participants last post by  Richard2 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about a camping trip to Whitehorse and Artic Circle this summer, taking my red 164S. Am I totally off my rocker, or just a little nuts? ..
It would be 4500-5000 miles round trip, with about 270 of it on well groomed gravel road...Dempster Highway.

#3 · (Edited)
I would do it in a heartbeat!
Imagine me tagging along in my white 164S - we could represent the Canadian flag.

Alas, work (that 4 letter word) gets in the way again.

#5 ·
The car seems to run good.....40,000 miles on a rebuilt motor. New brakes, all new suspension front and rear, rebuilt electronic struts...
The only issue right now is...
My wife broke the key off in the ignition while waiting in line at the Canadian US border heading home on the Canadian side. She had to get towed home across the border?, so I've got that to sort out when I get home. I've already got an ignition switch in stock. Then, think I'll look for some 4 or 6 ply tires for a set of spare 15" S rims.

#6 ·
Lol, I hope you already shipped that head Richard and not having 2nd thoughts. I'd much rather take the Berlina on that trip, but it's not going to be ready...

#9 ·
both R2 but irregardless, why not take the trip.....ciao, chris

#10 · (Edited)
I'm thinking about a camping trip to Whitehorse and Artic Circle this summer, taking my red 164S. Am I totally off my rocker, or just a little nuts? ..
It be 4500-5000 miles round trip, with about 270 of it on well groomed gravel road...Dempster Highway.
My daughter did this in a rental (GM journey or possibly terrain, awful car she said but her Subaru Impreza was miles and miles away in Yellowknife) out of Whitehorse. Road is good. People far apart. Living where you do you can have no real conception of just how empty and remote that highway is.

Not sure I'd tackle this in an old car of any brand no matter how reliable I thought it was.

The major risk is of a mechanical break down, especially tires and you are hooped if you get two flats between settlements. Cell phone coverage might not be there. Nobody will be able to help you fix your car, assuming you can get to somewhere.

Be aware that there are a lot of grizzlies up there and they know nothing about humans.

I've only driven from here to Yellowknife and that is desolate enough (mind you on the last return trip we were driving through the raging forest fires on both sides of the only road, trying to get out before they closed the road, we made it out of the NWT burning fire zones with two hours to spare. )

Do not underestimate the challenges of a trip like this. It is well worth doing but you will be entirely on your own with no reliable source for assistance. I'd not do it in our Alfa. I would do it in a rental out of Whitehorse or Alaska.

In fact, I would not rely on either of our 20+ year old cars to drive anywhere north of 60 and I would not hesitate to drive either car to California and back from here, which is 3,000 miles round trip.

#11 · (Edited)
On second thought . . . What could possibly go wrong.

Make sure you take at least a 41 Mag Revolver, a .338 Win Mag Rifle with a good zero'd scope, and a good skinning knife, just in case. Oh, and a gallon of mosquito repellent and good boots.

Remember when seconds count, help is only 5 days away.

Now let's see . . . there must be an Alfa shop around here somewhere.:001_unsure:

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
No can do in Canada. You can carry a "bear gun" which would be a heavy calibre rifle or a large gauge shotgun (10 gauge is recommended) but you cannot carry any sort of hand gun without a very special license. Any firearm must be unloaded when in transit so forget the rapid response tactic. Once you are in camp and being hunted by the bear you can keep your rifle or shotgun loaded, but not in your vehicle, it must be unloaded when you pack up to move on.

Insect repellant is pretty much useless against the black fly and the deer fly, both of which can drive you mad. Deep woods type repellant with DEET is the only stuff I would bother carrying. Mosquitoes are just not important pests North of 60, you hardly notice them when the big boys buzz in for dinner.

Also, statistically speaking, survival rates of firearm equipped bear attack victims (i.e. charged by the bear) trail significantly behind those equipped only with bear spray. It takes a very heavy shot to even slow down a bear intent on showing you who is boss. My advice backed up by the experts is leave the firearms back home when visiting Canada, carry two cans of bear spray and a loud portable foghorn or survival whistle. The water is safe to drink just about everywhere up there and a bit of dehydrated food and a single burner camp stove will keep you alive until the local rcmp finally drives down the only road on the look out for you as a no reporting traveller. Do register your "flight plan" with somebody and arrange for routine contacts with someone reliable en route. Also consider carrying one of those portable personal EPIRBs they are cheap and effective.

#13 ·
Can't even bring pepper spray across the border. They ask frequently, so have to buy in Canada. I was thinking about renting a satellite phone, or getting a cb radio. Not sure a cb would have enough range to reach anyone...

#16 ·
I hope you have a spare windshield you will have to install later. Had a friend who used to drive that far, and his windshields were always trashed, as well as rock chips everywhere. I'd take the Alaska car ferry from B'ham up to Haines, Alaska, then go from there.

#19 ·
There are camp grounds along the way, so it won't be wildness type camping.
Also sections were services and gas stations are limited, a couple extra gas cans would be appropriate.

#21 ·
I think the Dempster Highway would be different, Richard. No Mud and "rocks", more like graded, hard packed. Speed limit is listed as 50. They are recommending 4-6 ply tires. When I get back, I'll see what I can find.

#23 ·
Dempster highway is an all weather all season vital highway. There will be no rocks or dangerous potholes. The surface will be graded gravel, very common here. The construction will be to the highway standard for fully loaded highway transport trucks, which is its only real purpose. The speed limit will not be vigorously enforced and you will understand why the first time you exceed it by much.

The only thing missing is the blacktop. The construction will be to highest standard apart from that. Reason is it is very expensive to maintain blacktop in severe winter conditions. In winter, gravel gives much better traction than blacktop. In spring simple routine grading restores a smooth travel surface. The grader restores the profile, compacts dips and holes with its own weight and levels any ridges.

#25 ·
We canoed from Whitehorse to Dawson a few years ago. Roads (what we saw) were in fine shape, folks are fine but few... a few totally abandoned mining towns scattered about...

We brought a rental sat-phone, and it worked great (but $$$ to use!) . Bring a GPS - your cell phone MIGHT be able to tell you where you are without cell coverage, but then again, it might not.

Gas can with an Alfa logo :)

#26 ·
I had a conversation a few years ago with a ranger deep in the backcountry of Glacier National Park. He carried a .45 and a magnum-sized can of bear spray. I asked him about it and he said that the .45 was strictly for the two-legged critters and not very useful for driving off bears.

Besides, your BEST defense against bears is to make a lot of noise so they'll know you're there and avoid you.

#27 ·
I cross the border frequently... 6+ times a week. It's very rare you don't get asked about guns, sometimes in a lot of detail...do you have guns with you, do you own any guns, what kind, where do you keep them, etc. I don't carry guns across the border!

#28 ·
In Canada, pepper spray is also considered a weapon It's frequently mentioned when I cross. I won't be crossing with any of that either, but will buy on the Canadian side.

#29 ·
"Yikes. Thanks for the warning. Staying south-of-the-border for me"

Canada is a wonderful country, full of very nice people, based on our many experiences there on both coasts through the decades. Love talking with them for their views, and driving our Alfas there, esp in their great Nat Parks. Just don't do something stupid.

My feeling has always been that the Canadian authorities are more like the Brits in that they can be hardnosed, and don't tend to tolerate some of the things some Americans do, such as wanting to carry handguns, expecting more maturity perhaps.

Anyway, looking forward to doing more driving/camping in Canada ourselves, with our Alfas, of course, as we started doing with our first Giulia Sprint GT, the border guard thinking it a bright red Ferrari, lol.

BTW, a Scoutmaster friend took a group of scouts years ago on a canoeing trip around the four lakes loop in BC, and they were told to take railroad flares to scare the bears. Don't know if that is allowed these days.

#31 ·
Flares are supposedly for emergency rescue purposes these days. Making human type noises and carrying pepper spray should be enough. In 40 years + I've never felt the need for pepper spray. Nearest I've been to a Griz is about 200 m. A young blonde, he stood up to his full height and I did the same. I backed away and then turned and walked briskly back to my car. Do not try to run from a bear, they take that as submissive behaviour (watch bears dominate each other some time, do not run). Do stand as a group (six is the recommended minimum in griz country where you know they're about) and do not bend down unless actually attacked. Fight off any black bear as vigorously as you can, they're cowards. Do Not try to fight a grizzly. You will lose.

It's probably worth testing your aim with a can of pepper spray if you feel you may have to rely on it. Not too effective if the wind is in your direction (which is the most likely situation if you are surprising a bear since he or she can't smell you). Not effective if you fire prematurely (same with a firearm if you are actually charged, a griz is quicker than a horse over short distances). I think the recommendation is under 20 ft or something like that or the concentration of spray will be insufficient. Here's the very best book available on the subject, based on real research:

https://www.amazon.ca/Bear-Attacks-Their-Causes-Avoidance/dp/0771040598

Always hang your food more than 12 ft off the ground and away from the tree trunks (black bears are actually more dangerous in that way). Some campsites have steel box lockers for food storage in areas where cyclists or walkers are expected rather than cars. If car camping, sleep in the tent and keep your food in the trunk......

#32 ·
I've seen pictures of cars torn open by bears as they try/succeed getting into the car for the food. One picture was of a BMW where the bear just tore the driver's door off the car. It is amazing what they can smell. The trunk would be better for sure, but the food should be well wrapped and sealed in a cooler in the trunk. As you say, park supplied bearproof boxes are the best for food, etc.

#33 · (Edited)
Grizzlies can basically get in anywhere they choose. Trunk is best for strength and reducing the tempting smells but there is no really guaranteed method besides custom engineered steel boxes.

Garbage containers were eventually designed to thwart the ingenious griz: steel boxes that are raised off the ground on big concrete and steel plinths and welded to the steel embedded in the concrete pad*. How do you put your garbage into one? Simple, through a small trapdoor you open with a round door knob. Research proved a round door knob baffles a bear.....

* why welded to the ground? Bears are smart. Those big wheelie bins the trucks have to use a fork lift system to lift and empty they just repeatedly push up the hill and then allow to roll down until they finally capsize and empty their contents onto the ground: bear salad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.