Alfa Romeo Forums banner

alfa 164 ecu failure

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  richardbradford 
#1 ·
Hi,

Has anyone ever suffered an ECU failure for a 164? If so can I ask what the circumstances were and what model 164 it was?

Just curious, seeing as I've been trying to use the OBD port.

#4 ·
Hi,
Sorry for delay, I replied to this earlier but post got lost.

No issues with mine as yet, just wanted some assurance while I connect to the OBD port. Of the 24v failures you've seen, did they result in undriveable cars? Were the owners fiddling with the ECUs at the time or did they just fail by themselves?

Thanks.

#3 ·
Aha, OBD ports vs ECU....

Here was my situation: After installing a Squadra chip in my LS, the Check Engine light comes on upon assertive acceleration. The engine doesn't misbehave at all. But I plugged the FLT into the OBD-1 port and got the message "Replace the ECU". But the engine wasn't misbehaving at all....

...I think I posted the situation here and got a response - Yes, the Check Engine light will come on with the aftermarket chip. I.e. the Check Engine light is a function of the Chip's vs the ECU's internal logic. (Jason, was that our response maybe, can you confirm my statement?)...

Does that count as an ECU "failure"? Not in reality, but according to the FLT it was.
- Art

#5 ·
Squad ready chip should not throw CEL. Talk to Stefan if it does there is a problem. I've only ever seen one Ecu issue in all the 24v cars I've worked on, and it resolved itself after the salt bridges from leaking coolant were cleaned off with DI water.

#9 ·
PS Hey Art I bet you have a tramp air leak that is happening when the motor rocks back on the mounts due to hard accel (translated to torque on the motor). You should not get any CEL or codes with the right Squadra chip. When you pull the code on the car by doing the 5 foot stomp what code is flashed out? I bet its as 1223.....???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.