Leather restoration product suggestions - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

3Likes
  • 1 Post By ChazzyD
  • 2 Post By brianthegood

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Leather restoration product suggestions

Engine almost done, now it's time to tackle the interior.

I was going to use Leatherique products but it seems that they have dropped the Alfa Romeo tab from their website (A mighty strange website to be sure.....)

Any other suggestions for leather restoration products?

1973 Alfa Spider (Blu Pervinca) His, 1975 Alfa Spider (Giallo Pagoda) Hers,
1993 Alfa 164S (White) - Definitely His (and sometimes Hers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:08 PM
Gold Subscriber

I don't think that dropping the Alfa tab means that the product works any less than it does.

Leather is leather.

Its rated best and I use it on my Alfa seats.
I will probably order it again when my supply runs out.

I have a feeling that the brand name products sold in auto stores are just as good.
Regular household leather furniture products are also probably as good.

The secret is probably in the application of the leather conditioner.
Apparently its best to soak it in when the seats are hot and in direct sunlight.....

I am sure the BB will chip in....

Ta,

Neville.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

I was after the color dye as well as the other products.

How am I going to get a matching dye (Alfa 406, Anthracite) now that they seem to have dropped the Alfa line?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:33 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Yup, I guess we could.

I agree that most products are pretty safe. I just use the ArmorAll leather care product and that stuff seems to be ok, as the black leather seats in the two 164s still look and feel good (after first using Kiwi "sponge on" black shoe polish), and then I slather on the ArmorAll stuff liberally, let it soak in some and then buff it just a little, trying not to remove most of what is left, and then let it dry for the rest of the day. The next day, I just run a clean rag over everything just to put a little shine on it.

As I said, I think most of these types of products are ok. I just happen to use the ArmorAll products on everything, seats, vinyl, plastic, in the cabin, in the engine bay, whatever. Doesn't seem to have hurt anything as far as I can tell, but who knows for sure.

The above works for black leather seats. If you have the tan leather, use one of the products which uses an appropriate dye to return the color.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 04-20-2017 at 07:40 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:13 PM

Why put so much stock in what they have on their website? Just call Leatherique and ask. I'm sure they still will want to sell you product and have not lost what color dye info they already have on Alfas. It amazes me these days how so many put so much value in the internet that if something is not on a website, it must surely not exist. Just isn't the case most of the time. Remember, we are a very small group of car owners compared to most other brands. They probably just decided to eliminate a little clutter on the website because they get so few calls for Alfa Romeo. I'm sure they have many many dye color formulas in their files they will not have listed on their website.
Charles
Alfissimo Int. likes this.

-'91 164L 5 speed 229k miles and counting
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-'04 Volvo XC70 -'89 Volvo 244 "the Brick" - 2004 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6 V8

Last edited by ChazzyD; 04-20-2017 at 07:23 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:39 PM

Garage
I actually watched a Wheeler dealer episode and Mike used Olive oil and a plastic bag in the sun. I used the oil, no bag and let it sit overnight and it worked. Its softer and feels Great. I then used a cleaner and then the Leather foaming conditioner..

rob s

Rob S, Cur.84 Spider,87 Milano.01 XK8,Prev 91 164L ,81 Spider,81 380SL,63 BJ8 Healey, 76 Spider,79 Spider,90 quad spider.348 Ferrari spider.Harleys
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Email sent to Leatherique. Will keep you posted.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:08 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I use Gliptone Liquid Leather. Awesome products.

Past glories: Sud ti, Alfetta GTV, GTV6, 33 ti, 33 ie, 164 V6, 164 V6, GTV TS, 156 TS, Alfa 159 2.4 Q-Tronic JTDm

Now: 164 V6 24v Zender Alfa Sport (QV Mod)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:41 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsims View Post
I actually watched a Wheeler dealer episode and Mike used Olive oil and a plastic bag in the sun. I used the oil, no bag and let it sit overnight and it worked. Its softer and feels Great. I then used a cleaner and then the Leather foaming conditioner..

rob s
I missed that episode. I hope the olive oil was not applied directly to the leather. It will go rancid and stink up the car.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Leatherique came through

Leatherique could supply me with the correct Alfa dye.

Wonderful company.
Will post before and after pictures.
Alfissimo Int. and jeffb99tx like this.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:34 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Why put so much stock in what they have on their website?
I agree here with Chazzy....they probably removed Alfa due to lack of interest and business.
Just call and ask as I am sure their products work as well on Alfa as on any other car.

As mentioned earlier I use Leatherique and will probably continue to do so.

My seats are great....

Ta,

Neville.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

There was no phone number so I just made the email inquiry.

Custom dye with Kit #3 (good for front and back seats) - $201.95 shipped
Standard dye with Kit #3 - $171.95

Price is high but the accolades speak volumes.
The website truly needs a face lift though.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 07:29 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Letherique is the best out there. Order the oil and pristine clean too to keep the seats up.

Jason Minos

Tel:+1 928-526-0549
e-mail: contact via website form please

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode