V6 Exhausts?? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
V6 Exhausts??

Ok ok, I know thee has been plenty of topics posted before regarding exhaust systems for the 164, but none have really answered all my questions.

The car in question is a 1992 164 Q 12V V6, or known as an S in America I believe (I'm from Australia)

So at the moment, my car has an ansa rear muffler which has completely rusted out. It makes a nice sound on idle and sounds great up until 3k, then it sort of 'dies off' and I don't get much noise higher in the rpm range.

I have looked online and no one really seems to sell performance exhaust systems anymore. So I am wanting to get one custom made.

I am after the typical Busso sound, similar to the 2000 year model GTV's with Ragazzon exhausts, that is a raspy sound with heaps of cracks and pops.

Does anyone have any recommendations to achieve such sound? I'm looking to get a custom cat back exhaust and just want some input. Not fussy when it comes to drone aswell, it's part of the price you pay with a loud exhaust!

Much appreciated!
Cheers, Andrew.

1992 164Q Red - Konis - Eibach - 17' 156 Wheels - ANSA - Cam - Tuned
1989 164 Red - Konis - Eibach - 16' Teledials - Exhaust - K&N Intake

Last edited by V AR 164; 04-20-2017 at 06:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:11 PM
Platinum Subscriber

I have CSC.

Both mid and rear available:

https://alfissimo.com/299-alfa-romeo-164

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jason Minos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tel:+1 928-526-0549
e-mail: contact via website form please
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:49 PM
Gold Subscriber

Sounds like you are looking for sheer volume (noise), not necessarily "tuning" which would require you throw out those clunky restrictive cast-iron headers, and work back. If you are only interested in "cat-back" tweaking why not try what your compatriot "la_strega_nera" from Brisbane did: he mounted a Ferrari F360 muffler with bypass on his 164 QV and can let it rip on command. See third picture of this post,

rebuild electronic strut on 164S?

and explanation here:

rebuild electronic strut on 164S?

white '92 164 S (67K)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:44 PM

Or just go to a local stainless exhaust builder and get one that will last for years.
The rear boxes on 164s always die on a very regular basis as they rarely get hot enough to dry out so just rot from the inside out.
The choice is simple. Normal box replaced every 2 years or stainless box for a lot longer.
Just my experience. If you only do long drives then scrap this advice :-)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the reply guys.

If I could afford it I would go for a full system, so for now it will just have to be a cat back system.

That idea with the valve is pretty cool, I've never seen it done on a 164 before. However, that too would probably be a bit too expensive.

I do intend on going for a stainless system as I too have had experience with rusted exhausts.

I was looking up a few videos on YouTube last night and came across the exhaust pictured below. I'm going to head to my local exhaust shop and get something similar made up.

Also thanks Jason, if the shop can't make one up, I'll probably buy a CSC exhaust from you. My question is how do they sound? I want something that has quite a big note.

Cheers, Andrew.
Attached Images

1992 164Q Red - Konis - Eibach - 17' 156 Wheels - ANSA - Cam - Tuned
1989 164 Red - Konis - Eibach - 16' Teledials - Exhaust - K&N Intake

Last edited by V AR 164; 04-20-2017 at 06:11 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:49 PM
Member of the Board
Gold Subscriber

I have the CSC. If you pm an email address I can send you a couple videos. They're off the iPhone, so not the greatest.

The CSC is pretty mellow. I removed the mid silencer and it livened up a bit.

The CSC muffler I received was stainless, and not black as the pics show. This wasn't an issue either way for me, just thought it was worth mentioning.

John
1991 Alfa Romeo 164L, 1993 Ford 5.0L Mustang
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:24 PM
Member of the Board
Gold Subscriber

Sent a few videos over. Those were with the windows closed. It just picks up too much noise with them open.

Only other thing I can add is that I drove an S with the Ansa muffler, and it was more aggressive sounding than mine.

John
1991 Alfa Romeo 164L, 1993 Ford 5.0L Mustang

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode