Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Speedometer sender access

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  pinino 
#1 · (Edited)
Having trouble getting to the speedometer sender location on my '93 164S (with manual transmission).

Tips would be more than welcome.

#3 ·
Use a 22mm (7/8") open-end crows-foot on 6" extension with ratchet from underneath car for 5-speed model.

Use 26mm or slightly enlarged 1" crows-foot on A/T models.

#4 ·
"Having trouble getting to the speedometer sender location"

Having speedo problems? It may be as simple as cleaning and reseating the dual connector (it's not particularly easy assess without removing air filter box). You can actually pop off the rear end of the connector and remove the pins to do a thorough cleaning.

#6 ·
sender

What are you talking about? Cleaning the contacts will not do anything and if your trying to get to the sender unit by removing the air box you have no idea what you are doing.
Both Steve and I offered two very simple methods to remove the sender unit. If you ask Steve nicely I believe has has good used senders at a fair price.

#5 ·
Cleaning contacts sounds like a great idea. The connector is exposed now that I have dropped the shroud.
That and I do not have a 22mm crowsfoot wrench...yet.

#7 ·
"What are you talking about?"

Perhaps you misread me or I was unclear. Removal of sender is one thing, which you accurately described. What came to my mind reading the original post was the why. Sometimes when people have speedo issues it is not the sender at fault, but the connection at the L17 connector. It's a very dirty area and the wires are subjected to vibration and moisture. In order to properly clean the pins, you need be able to get both hands in there, and that is why I suggested that the air cleaner box be removed. I had this problem and no amount of coaxing or dielectric grease would solve the problem. The pins had to be physically removed from the connector to clean them. An now my speedo problem is solved. The intermittent electrical issues at L17 are especially irksome on the "S" with CDS suspension, because a flaky connection will cause the CDS suspension to switch to rigid (without the red warning light being illuminated).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.